Another what's it worth thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well just got back in the hundy world with my 2006 I just purchased last month but a customer of mine just called me up and said her 2000 Landcruiser that she bought new needs a new engine. 275k miles and supposedly the radiator let go while her son was driving it and overheated it. The local dealer gave her a quote of $9600 for a reman one so she's thinking of just letting it go. Overall I would say it's probably a 6.5 out of 10 as far as general condition inside and out. All stock and normally she maintains vehicles extremely well mechanically. What would you pay for it as is??? I'm thinking I might keep the 06 stock and sell my 3rd gen 4runner and my 96 bronco and make this one an off road beast!

I think JunkCrz89 is on the right track, if you do have to find an engine for it.

It isn't a cherry and has 275k on it, I'd say $3k max. Motor swap isn't a big deal, finding a motor also not a big deal. Tools to do a 2UZ-FE swap also not a big deal.

The main issue is that at 275k and with a swapped motor it isn't likely a good flip, and you won't come out ahead on this unless you're doing the labor or have a reliable and inexpensive shop.

If you have the space and know how to tear down and install a new motor, you could dedicate a long weekend and have a nice rig.

If the radiator got bad enough that it failed and caused the motor to let go, imagine the state of the bushings, wheel bearings, yada yada yada.

I think a motor swap may not be the end of the rehab project. I'm not talking about rehab to "like new", more like rehab to "won't fear it failing again in the near future"

If the radiator got bad enough that it failed and caused the motor to let go, imagine the state of the bushings, wheel bearings, yada yada yada.

I think a motor swap may not be the end of the rehab project. I'm not talking about rehab to "like new", more like rehab to "won't fear it failing again in the near future"
Yeah I was kind of concerned about that but she had the Dealer replace the radiator 40k miles ago, but was 4-5 years. I take care of her Yukon for her and she does whatever I tell her it needs.

It's been my experience that dealerships typically won't recommend replacing the squishy bits until unusual noises start to develop, and the customer complains. I've also experienced that when a squishy bit that makes noise is replaced, other squishy bits in nearby areas also die during removal and reinstallation, and the avalanche can begin.

I give mad props to the folks on here that just bite the bullet and replace a bunch of squishy bits at once and avoid these types of headaches. The upfront cost of parts is completely outweighed by the labor cost down the road. Having owned BMW //M cars in the past (where squishy bits are DESIGNED to wear and fail relatively fast in the name of performance), I do give props to the Mr. T engineers for designing squishy bits that can take a lot of beating and seem to last a very long time.

Well just got back in the hundy world with my 2006 I just purchased last month but a customer of mine just called me up and said her 2000 Landcruiser that she bought new needs a new engine. 275k miles and supposedly the radiator let go while her son was driving it and overheated it. The local dealer gave her a quote of $9600 for a reman one so she's thinking of just letting it go. Overall I would say it's probably a 6.5 out of 10 as far as general condition inside and out. All stock and normally she maintains vehicles extremely well mechanically. What would you pay for it as is??? I'm thinking I might keep the 06 stock and sell my 3rd gen 4runner and my 96 bronco and make this one an off road beast!
call the local junk yard and asked them what their tow it away offer would be, then offer her a few hundred more than that.

If she is your customer, I'd tread carefully. If you toss out an unwelcome low number, that is not good for your relationship. .

I think I might go along the lines of "A project like that can eat up most of the 'book value' of it, but I sure do love these things . If you get to the point where you just want it gone, please let me know what you'd need to have for it" And then take it or politely leave it.

But, $2500-$3k sounds about tops based on your description.

Buy cheap (junk yard price) and part it out, and keep what you want to find and build another project that you have more info on. This seems might be like a boat "break out another thousand" good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom