Another, "what is it worth" thread, except mine is special (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Why is it special? Because I'm special. My momma told me I was. Now that we have that settled, on to business. The wife and I are pondering going down to a one car family once we've finished a much-anticipated move to a small town in central Colorado. In that vein, I'm curious how much my beloved cruiser might be worth. I haven't made up my mind to sell the old girl just yet, but I'd appreciate some opnions on what she might be worth. It's night right now, so I'll take some pictures tomorrow so that you might bask in the glory of "Lucky", but for now all I have are words... Here's the skinny

1985 FJ, stock motor, trans etc. The odometer says 114,000, but after working on the engine I have begin to suspect that there was a motor replacement at some point in the past. (the truck is a late-model '85, but when ordering parts I have learned to ask for parts off of an '83 if I want them to fit).

Here is what I have done so far (I have all the receipts for all of my work and I'm scared to add up the total)

Replaced clutch and flywheel.
Replaced rear main seal
Replaced rear oil galley
Drained and refilled tranny and T-case and replaced plugs.
Replaced bushings and shackles
New speakers and interior door trim.
New water pump, thermostat and associated gaskets.
Replaced front main seal and timing cover gasket
Recored and repaired radiator
Replaced most of the rubber hoses and belts while I was in there
New cap, rotor, wires, plugs ect
bought a '62 rear seat w/ headrests. I have the shoulder belts as well but I haven't installed them yet.

The bad...some rust. I'd give it a meh/10 with the only real pressing concern being some rust under the windshield gasket. It's not super bad right now, but it will need to be addressed sooner rather than later.
It needs new shocks and a muffler pretty darn soon

The good...runs great! She has been my dailer driver for about a year now and I've taken her up into the mountains hunting and made the commute from Colorado Springs to Crested Butte several times w/ no issues.

Thats all I can think about for now. I'll get some pictures posted as soon as I can, but what do you all think? I was thinking $3000?

Seems a bit silly to sell it. If your moving up here to the mountains, you will miss its ability to get you most anywhere you want to go. If its a good runner, keep her around to play in! The 60 series is arguably the greatest car camping rig ever made.

$3,000 seems like a good starting point based on seeing pictures. For me the a decision would depends other factors. What would be the one vehicle you would have left? Will this one vehicle suit your needs living up in the Rocky Mountains? Does your wife drive a stick? Mine refuses to even try, for this reason when a 60 series vehicle was added I got a FJ62. I would also hate the indea of not owning a LC. At least I don't have to worry about that ever happening.

I would also hate the indea of not owning a LC. At least I don't have to worry about that ever happening.

x2 I couldn't not have at least 1 Cruiser!! I have two now and have been toying with the idea of getting another 40 to add to my collection and building it up to be nearly as capable as my crawler but still street legal. :hmm:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom