Another wet trunk question (1 Viewer)

I read a lot of threads about wet carpet in the corners of the trunk. My issue, I think, is slightly different. My weather tech floor liner was dry, my carpet mat was dry, but the carpet and jute were soaked. I remove the carpet trim piece and removed the 3rd row seats and carpet and padding. I then rain a hose of the 3rd brake light, the roof rails, basically the entire truck but everything inside was bone dry. I was about to put new padding and carpet back in and forget it.

today it rained pretty heavy. I decided to drive in the rain to see what might happen. To my surprise there is water inside again. It’s along the drop down tailgate in the groove where the carpet trim plate goes.
Any thoughts ?
B2F5631C-CA16-4944-B71B-F3F3E2AC59BD.jpeg

awesomeissquid

SILVER Star
So the water must be dripping in from somewhere and then running down one of the side surfaces to get to the floor and then soaking up since you are not seeing wetness on the top mat and liner. I would recommend pulling all the side and tailgate trim and try to track it back, maybe using the hose again. Start to investigate how far forward the wetness goes and try to determine if it is worse on one side or the other. The main points of entry are going to be the roof rack bolts, the 3rd brake light housing, the rear upper wing thingy mounts, the rear window, the tailgate gaskets, and the two side windows gaskets.

Water is very tricky since it can run very long distances from where the actual leak is. Is the truck parked level when it happens or is it on an incline. Any staining or wetness on the ceiling? Any water stains/marks on windows or side panels?

So the water must be dripping in from somewhere and then running down one of the side surfaces to get to the floor and then soaking up since you are not seeing wetness on the top mat and liner. I would recommend pulling all the side and tailgate trim and try to track it back, maybe using the hose again. Start to investigate how far forward the wetness goes and try to determine if it is worse on one side or the other. The main points of entry are going to be the roof rack bolts, the 3rd brake light housing, the rear upper wing thingy mounts, the rear window, the tailgate gaskets, and the two side windows gaskets.

Water is very tricky since it can run very long distances from where the actual leak is. Is the truck parked level when it happens or is it on an incline. Any staining or wetness on the ceiling? Any water stains/marks on windows or side panels?
Parked level in driveway. I blasted all areas with hose and dry inside . Only when moving did the water seem to get inside. No stains on windows, side panels, headliner. All side panels and corners dry and no marks or stains

Pulling the side panel kind of sucks but if you have a trim puller tool it may be worth it.

I am up against a similar issue, I removed my panel to fix subwoofer and found a wet carpet in that area. In my case I think the leak was coming from the bolt on the cargo tie down. It was rusty and had carpet stuck to it, I cleaned it up and sealed it. The leak appears to be good for now. This would be a easy check without having to remove too much to get to it.

The longest but best way to figure it out will be to remove at least one panel and the seat mounts in the floor so you can lift more of the carpet. Dry it all up really nice and maybe put some paper towels or saw dust / flour down to see where the water starts.

In my case by the time I went on a test drive and checked there was water kind of everywhere and it was hard to trace the source.

There is also a small black plastic plug that hides behind our bumper wings that on my rig was cracked, this would be less likely but water could be coming in from there just as it splashed up from the rear tires.

KIMG3175.JPG

I pulled the carpet and padding . I pulled the trim panels and the shut hatch and blasted with hose . It was completely dry, so I sat in trunk area while my daughter blasted with a hose.. nothing came in. Maybe it is the rubber gasket like Houstonfj80 mentioned ?

EA1FE040-A33F-49BF-9A19-1577B13375BF.jpeg

I'd wipe any moisture from rear hatch and gate dry and clean, always keep seal and where seats clean. Then start spraying water from garden hose with HP nozzle. Start at bottom of gate. Spray between bumper & gate, that should force water up to the seal. But you may need to spray from below at lower part of gate seal. Than open gate and see if seal wet where it should be dry. Than work your way up seal spray with water under pressure. Work bottom up check as you go, so you can isolate point of leak. If you start at top. It may enter high and only show at lower point.

I see some damage to lower inside center body at gate seal area. Very likely a leak point. Leak in tail gate, hatch, 1/4 tips, tail lights or under-body rear are dangerous. Exhaust can and will enter these. Toyota OM recommends, never opening rear side windows with engine running, for this reason.
EA1FE040-A33F-49BF-9A19-1577B13375BF.jpeg

Look for any signs of rear impact, rust holes, drilling holes, etc.. Anywhere water can get in, so can gases.

Next start by looking from underside. Both 1/4 tips, making sure no open holes in bottom or side. Also check in fender well behind mud flap. Work you from one side to the other, looking for open hole in under body. Then check each tail lights seals. The corner tail lights once remove. Expose cavity of 1/4 panel tips. The lights housing have seal between them and body.

I'd wipe any moisture from rear hatch and gate dry and clean, always keep seal and where seats clean. Then start spraying water from garden hose with HP nozzle. Start at bottom of gate. Spray between bumper & gate, that should force water up to the seal. But you may need to spray from below at lower part of gate seal. Than open gate and see if seal wet where it should be dry. Than work your way up seal spray with water under pressure. Work bottom up check as you go, so you can isolate point of leak. If you start at top. It may enter high and only show at lower point.

I see some damage to lower inside center body at gate seal area. Very likely a leak point. Leak in tail gate, hatch, 1/4 tips, tail lights or under-body rear are dangerous. Exhaust can and will enter these. Toyota OM recommends, never opening rear side windows with engine running, for this reason.View attachment 2644704
Look for any signs of rear impact, rust holes, drilling holes, etc.. Anywhere water can get in, so can gases.

Next start by looking from underside. Both 1/4 tips, making sure no open holes in bottom or side. Also check in fender well behind mud flap. Work you from one side to the other, looking for open hole in under body. Then check each tail lights seals. The corner tail lights once remove. Expose cavity of 1/4 panel tips. The lights housing have seal between them and body.
I did remove the drivers side tail light a few months ago to replace a bulb. I’ll check the seal.

it was NEVER in a rear impact of any sorts. No damage ever

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom