Another Water Leak Thread... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After finding the DS floorboard wet after a rain storm and with help found here, I went down the rabbit hole to determine and fix the cause.

I discovered that the water was entering the cabin of our '96 LX450 from behind the kick panel. It seemed to be coming from a recessed area in the sub-body where there are 4+ round and rectangular relays that are set into a yellow-ish plastic cube/puck/holder.
relay.jpg

relay3.jpg

Using a hose, it seemed that the water was entering the cabin somewhere near the lower DS corner of the windshield. Although I couldn’t see the water entering the cab, I had a new OEM windshield and OEM seal installed as per the FSM from a body shop that I have used past with no issues. But the problem still persisted. So, I took it home to work on it myself. That was a couple of weeks ago.

After it thawed out over the weekend, I poured water onto the cowling near the DS windshield wiper stud and found that the water was actually entering the cabin from somewhere under the cowling and not the windshield at all.

After I pulled the cowling off, I slowly and deliberately poured water near the outside edge of the area underneath the cowling. I opened the DS door so I could peer between it and the fender. And with the help of a flashlight, I could see the water dribbling down the outside of the recessed area that houses the relays mentioned above.
cowling.jpg

In this picture you can see the rust on the stud that attaches the relay cube to the sub-body. You can also see water on the edge of the cube.
rusty stud.jpg

I’m not sure how that recessed area is attached, but my guess is that somewhere in there there’s a hole. It could be a bad spot weld or seal, but without pulling the fender (which I understand is a whole lot of fun), I’m not sure how to access the area to examine it. I guess I could unplug all the wiring behind the kick panel and look from the inside, but I’m not too fired up to do that either.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Any help at this point would be appreciated,

Thanks in advance,
Kevin Vincent
Houston, TX

cowling.jpg

Last edited:
I could be wrong, but seeing as how often these trucks have leaks around the windshield gasket, mine included on the drivers side. I'd give the windshield gasket another hard look before you go down this other rabbit hole.

Below are two links to the correct Butyl sealant/adhesive to use with our rubber windshield gaskets.I hope this info helps.

Thanks, Rifleman, that’s what I thought too, so we popped the old windshield out that the PO installed. It was installed correctly with plenty of adhesive and there were no signs of damage or rust to the frame. Nonetheless, we replaced the aftermarket windshield with OEM and a new OEM gasket.

At that point I focused on the cowling. I used a small funnel and poured water directly onto the spot under the cowling that’s circled in red in the picture. That’s about 5” from the windshield and slightly downhill. I really don’t think it could be the windshield at this point...

Thanks, Rifleman, that’s what I thought too, so we popped the old windshield out that the PO installed. It was installed correctly with plenty of adhesive and there were no signs of damage or rust to the frame. Nonetheless, we replaced the aftermarket windshield with OEM and a new OEM gasket.

At that point I focused on the cowling. I used a small funnel and poured water directly onto the spot under the cowling that’s circled in red in the picture. That’s about 5” from the windshield and slightly downhill. I really don’t think it could be the windshield at this point...
Is it running down over the firewall and coming in from one of the boots on the firewall?

Do you know if the truck has ever been in a collision on that corner? If so, there could be a seam on one of the sections inside the cowl housing that has been compromised and never sealed again.

Is it running down over the firewall and coming in from one of the boots on the firewall?

Do you know if the truck has ever been in a collision on that corner? If so, there could be a seam on one of the sections inside the cowl housing that has been compromised and never sealed again.
When I perform the drill, the water that dribbles down into the engine bay, along the firewall and onto the boots is minimal. At most a teaspoon.

Regarding an accident...I was starting to think the same thing too. But both fenders appear to be original and the fasteners that flange them up still have the original paint on them. I’ll reach out to the PO to confirm.

Thanks

Well good news is you found the leak. Why not just squirt a bunch of sealant in there and call it a day?

Regarding an accident...I was starting to think the same thing too. But both fenders appear to be original and the fasteners that flange them up still have the original paint on them. I’ll reach out to the PO to confirm.
Just as an FYI, to prevent the sales of stolen car parts. The feds required that all auto makes install vin stickers on all removable body panels starting in 1995, if i remember right. Seeing as your truck is a 1996, if it hasn't been in a wreck it will have a vin tag on your fender matching your trucks vin number. Now if that tags not there, or if the numbers don't match, someone has replaced that fender.

Well good news is you found the leak. Why not just squirt a bunch of sealant in there and call it a day?

Man, it may come to that. That area is real hard to reach though without taking the fender off. Getting at it from the inside would require removing the seat (not a big deal) and unplugging several harness connections which I am somewhat reluctant to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom