Another WARN finds its home on a 60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have the same issue with my new 8274-50. the clutch sticks sometimes (as in I can't get the handle to the out position) and cant get it free spool. I'll run a little line out by powering out, then it'll free up. I thought it was because someone dropped the winch on it's clutch handle during shipping. Warn sent me a new handle to replace the cracked one. But the clutch still hangs up sometimes. I think I need to call them and see if they will send me a new clutch assembly.
Agree on the 8274 not wanting to free spool. It's a common problem with them. Good thing is that it will power out quick even if you can't pull it by hand. I think the real problem is the fact that the clutch pack lives outside the housing and is subjected to dirt and moisture. It gets a little crusty inside and you have to give it a work out occasionally to keep it freed up.

Harbor Freight and Smittybuilt winches are total junk. About all they are good for is a trailer winch.

I would not trust either if I was stuck. Myself I use a SuperWinch X9 (built in the US).
I like Warn winches as well, M8000 is a good winch. I kow lots of people who never and any issues with them, M8274 is a great winch but real heavy and bulky and prone to the freespool lever seizing (at least in the older ones). I have had 4 and every single one had this issue over time. I rebuild each one and kept that in better shape, but having to power out your winch line is a complete PITA.

My next one will be a Superwinch Husky worm drive. Not fast, but a beast of a winch.

Harbor freight and Smittybilt winches are definitely not junk. I've had Warn winches a long time, back before they were Warn (Belleview). They are great winches, especially the 8274. But I have been running a Smittybilt on my FZJ80 and many others I wheel with run these and Harbor Freight winches. I've seen lots of winching and IMHO, these winches work just fine. Do some searches on all the forums here. Most of the people who have problems with them don't own them. All winches, Warn included, will sometime have issues.

All that said, I just love the 8274. It has large capacity and doesn't have those stupid reinforcement bars that go across the spool like almost every winch has. If you are forced to pull from the side, the cable / rope piles up on one side and instant issue. On the 40 and 60, I'm putting on a 8274 every time. On an 80, they typically don't fit too well. That being said, I'm going to try and put one on my 80 because I have a few of them.

Oh, and there are tons of 8274 winches available used. They are completely rebuildable.

Last edited:
Harbor freight and Smittybilt winches are definitely not junk. I've had Warn winches a long time, back before they were Warn (Belleview). They are great winches, especially the 8274. But I have been running a Smittybilt on my FZJ80 and many others I wheel with run these and Harbor Freight winches. I've seen lots of winching and IMHO, these winches work just fine. Do some searches on all the forums here. Most of the people who have problems with them don't own them. All winches, Warn included, will sometime have issues.

All that said, I just love the 8274. It has large capacity and doesn't have those stupid reinforcement bars that go across the spool like almost every winch has. If you are forced to pull from the side, the cable / rope piles up on one side and instant issue. On the 40 and 60, I'm putting on a 8274 every time. On an 80, they typically don't fit too well. That being said, I'm going to try and put one on my 80 because I have a few of them.

Oh, and there are tons of 8274 winches available used. They are completely rebuildable.

You can say what you like, I have seen them fail and have taken them apart. They are cheap for a reason.
That said for the price you could just carry a spare one. I would never trust one to pull me out of a jam especially after it has been on my ride for any length of time.

I prefer tried and true, Warn M series, Superwinch X, S and Husky, Ramsey REP 9.5 Etc.

Line speed should not be a concern unless you are racing. Getting out safely should be.

I have the same issue with my new 8274-50. the clutch sticks sometimes (as in I can't get the handle to the out position) and cant get it free spool. I'll run a little line out by powering out, then it'll free up. I thought it was because someone dropped the winch on it's clutch handle during shipping. Warn sent me a new handle to replace the cracked one. But the clutch still hangs up sometimes. I think I need to call them and see if they will send me a new clutch assembly.

That's pretty common. 8274 free spool is useless in a lot of cases because the clutch doesn't disengage the brake, any sticky tendencies in the brake just get worse when freespooling. Honestly, you don't really need it because the winch has such a high line speed. I have on on my Samurai trail rig (bought used and rebuilt it) with an ungodly amount of usage time and it is flawless. It is the go to winch when anyone in our group gets into a problem, which isn't uncommon. Not to mention the benefit high line capacity for multi line pulls or long distance pulls.

Now just to find one cheap again so that I can get one on my FJ62.

Line speed should not be a concern unless you are racing. Getting out safely should be.

I wouldn't worry about it much as a casual user, but it sure is nice to have a fast winch when you are in a situation that requires a bunch of re-rigging, multi line pulls, or multiple vehicle recoveries.

You won't have that problem on forest service roads for the most part but upside down jeeps on mountainsides do happen from time to time.

Last edited:
71952629-33CB-409A-A836-C2B9A061B95B.jpeg

0650E11F-3BA7-494D-A864-A6B0C382E947.jpeg

Got it.
Manufacturing date: 2/02/04

That's an interesting winch. Must be for a hoist or something with that short of a cable.

That's an interesting winch. Must be for a hoist or something with that short of a cable.
Im going to check it out tomorrow. Had to hurry home to watch my son tonight. He was going to put it on his Ford F-350 years ago for hunting and never got around to it.

Nevermind, I was looking at the PN for the wiring harness, I can’t eyeball spool capacity that well.

Someone with more knowledge might be able to say how much synthetic line could get spooled up. Smaller synthetic line = more line capacity. In the end it may not be enough line. But of course you need to look at the MBS (min breaking strength..ie the point at which it would fail) and WLL (working load limit...the actual max load you should put on the line)

I’m running the older style of vr10000s and I like it. I used it to get up a set of rock stairs and it worked well.

I had a bnib smittybilt from 4wp that I took back and traded up to a warn after hearing that people had solenoid issues that left it dead in the water with poor customer support.

Someone with more knowledge might be able to say how much synthetic line could get spooled up. Smaller synthetic line = more line capacity. In the end it may not be enough line. But of course you need to look at the MBS (min breaking strength..ie the point at which it would fail) and WLL (working load limit...the actual max load you should put on the line)

The way I read the label in @Hojack s picture in post 45, his winch will hold 80 ft of steel rope. Which I 'think' is what M8000's made today hold. So normal I believe.

Warn and others also made small spool winches for competition rock crawling. There was almost never a case where we would have
a pull that was more than 25ft since the courses were so tight. A lot of guys would just load 30~40 ft on their conventional spool.
The first and second wraps always have you strongest pull. The smaller winch and less cable saved weight and space on comp rigs.

Warn® 9.0Rc Winch : Cabela's

Superwinch 1612221 Rock 12.8 Competition Winch

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom