Another WARN finds its home on a 60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

if that Craigslist winch comes with the solenoid mounted like that you would most likely need this bracket to fit on your cruiser/bumper combo:
https://www.amazon.com/WARN-26368-Winch-Solenoid-Bracket/dp/B001PJS6CY

C1CFC392-EE45-44B3-B557-8CC3F485D438.jpeg

Last edited:
Yes the difference, if you had a preference.

Lots of opinions on this. I like rollers...but that might be because that's what I've always used.

Here's where the biggest debate is tho...which to use with wire and which to use if you have synthetic rope.

Again, it's an opinion choice really. I like rollers.

I've not had any issues with either of my 2 roller fairleads. I do Kroil the inside of the rollers from time to time just to be sure.

There's nothing at all wrong with Hawes fairleads tho.

If it were me...I'd seal that deal real quick. It's a good winch and a good price...a good combo.

My take is that anything Warn, is better than anything Smittybuilt. Smitty seems to be the lowest common denominator junk in any given place they import something. I'd avoid. If you can't fit an 8274 (which you should try to do), an M8000 is a decent lightweight choice. Just make sure that in a serious winching spot, you double up with a snatch block and it will be great.

Disclaimer: I have an M12000, 2 x 8274s and think they have worked great for >10 years. I have never used a Smittybuilt or Harbor fright winch but I do think you get what you pay for. Craigslist is a great place to shop winches.

My take is that anything Warn, is better than anything Smittybuilt. Smitty seems to be the lowest common denominator junk in any given place they import something. I'd avoid. If you can't fit an 8274 (which you should try to do), an M8000 is a decent lightweight choice. Just make sure that in a serious winching spot, you double up with a snatch block and it will be great.

Disclaimer: I have an M12000, 2 x 8274s and think they have worked great for >10 years. I have never used a Smittybuilt or Harbor fright winch but I do think you get what you pay for. Craigslist is a great place to shop winches.
He made a deal at $500 and we are meeting tomorrow.

Speaking of the 8274, I agree with @Cruiserdrew and think it's the best winch out there...it's an opinion tho, and we've all got those.

But if you're a DYI person, you'd be hard pressed to not consider buying a used 8274 & spending $200 to rebuild it. You'd have a really good winch for not much $$. Reliable, strong & fast. And you can still get parts from Warn.

EDIT: I'm too slow typing. M8000, good choice, you will be happy.

That's a very good winch and fair price. I would not hesitate to buy it. Infact id buy it!
I had that same model M8000 on a mini truck and the winch was 15+ years old, used it many many times, its now on a friend's 4runner still going strong and works great. My FJ60 has an M8000 (even older model than my pickup had) the previous owner put on it. Still works very good, no problems. It's a good fit for a 60 and if you do a synthetic line and hawse fairlead you can get the total weight down below 45lbs for an M8000.

I always heard through friends who wheel a lot to get a Warn. Best quality out there. And yes local to us. However that being said I have another buddy in Washington who wheels all the time and uses a harbor freight winch. He said he’s never had any problems. I’m not really a fan of harbor freights products but that’s just what my buddy uses. Plus you put a lot of blood sweat and tears into that rig J. It deserves a Warn.

The M8000 is a great winch. I have one on my 60 and it's been on there for 10-11 years. I had some water intrusion issues with the motor which caused the contacts to rust inside. I bought another motor for less than $100. Bolted it on and I was back in business in less than an hour. The M8000 is a planetary winch. It is slow compared to an 8274 but if speed is not a concern, it will get the job done every time.

The 8274 is the best winch ever made IMO. It doesn't fit in a lot of applications. It was the fastest winch in the world for proabably 30 years and was only recently beat by a top-of-the-line Come-Up brand winch. It is a spur gear winch, not a planetary. That's why it is odd looking compared to most winches you see.

I am a fan of both of these winches. Parts are available and it is a pleasure dealing with Warn. They stand behind their products.

Harbor Freight and Smittybuilt winches are total junk. About all they are good for is a trailer winch.

I would not trust either if I was stuck. Myself I use a SuperWinch X9 (built in the US).
I like Warn winches as well, M8000 is a good winch. I kow lots of people who never and any issues with them, M8274 is a great winch but real heavy and bulky and prone to the freespool lever seizing (at least in the older ones). I have had 4 and every single one had this issue over time. I rebuild each one and kept that in better shape, but having to power out your winch line is a complete PITA.

My next one will be a Superwinch Husky worm drive. Not fast, but a beast of a winch.

I still prefer Warn. I have a 9500i, two 8274s, and a Zeon 10. The 9500i has at least 100 pulls and is still
strong after 20 years . One 8274 I put on my 40 in 1980 and have bounced from truck to truck since. Went through
three cables and a fairlead on that one . No idea how many pulls. The second I bought used from a Military DRMO ( surplus)
in about 1990. So far my only maintenance on those three is cables , fairleads and occasional battery cable replacements
when they get old an ugly. It's nice however, to know that Warns keeps parts in the event I need some

M8000 seams a bit under rated for your rig but like @Cruiserdrew said just dbl down on the snatch block and you'll be good. I just traded @Chopperbobsmith a WARN M9k that I had on my 4Runner for years. He's putting it on his 1st gen 4runner. Great winch. Still going strong and it's at least 10 years old. Can't go wrong on that thing. Buy it now and keep your eye on Craigslist for a bigger one later.

I have the same issue with my new 8274-50. the clutch sticks sometimes (as in I can't get the handle to the out position) and cant get it free spool. I'll run a little line out by powering out, then it'll free up. I thought it was because someone dropped the winch on it's clutch handle during shipping. Warn sent me a new handle to replace the cracked one. But the clutch still hangs up sometimes. I think I need to call them and see if they will send me a new clutch assembly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom