Another vibration thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Call around and ensure the tire shop whether it’s Toyota, Discount Tire…etc. offers Road Force balancing. I have had excellent results with road force balancing. My 34” MTs track true wit zero vibrations. Prior to the MTs i put 15,000 miles on 33” AT tires that were road force balanced and they never needed to be rebalanced and always rode smooth with zero vibrations.
Good info. I made an appt next Friday for a place that has road force balancing, $30 a tire. Seems about the going rate these days.

Thanks

Good info. I made an appt next Friday for a place that has road force balancing, $30 a tire. Seems about the going rate these days.

Thanks
I was able to retorque all the wheels and it’s considerable better. Going to do the road force balance next Friday and hope that solves the remaining vibrations. Over all I’d say the dealer didn’t do a great job with the balance. There’s a ton of left over glue form old weights, or even ones that may have fallen off. It also seems the wheels need to be tightened exactly in a star pattern correctly. They had some of the lugs so tight the impact didn’t want to take them off, luckily the wheel locks were looser, but I thibk that’s where the wobble was coming from. I’ll keep it posted and report back on the balance next week.

Driveline issues often present as a “rumble” through the seat and/or floor board at highway speeds. Many of our trucks have the front driveshaft totally neglected during dealer maintenance, I assume because it’s harder to get to or they just don’t realize these things are 4WD. Any time someone says they have a vibration I think they need to check the front driveshaft.. if there are lube problems you’ll likely see orange colored rust around the caps of one or both u-joints.

Could be way off base but something I’d check. My front driveshaft didn’t have evidence of ever having been greased.. but because it happens to be so straight on install it appears fine in spite of the lack of maintenance.

Driveline issues often present as a “rumble” through the seat and/or floor board at highway speeds. Many of our trucks have the front driveshaft totally neglected during dealer maintenance, I assume because it’s harder to get to or they just don’t realize these things are 4WD. Any time someone says they have a vibration I think they need to check the front driveshaft.. if there are lube problems you’ll likely see orange colored rust around the caps of one or both u-joints.

Could be way off base but something I’d check. My front driveshaft didn’t have evidence of ever having been greased.. but because it happens to be so straight on install it appears fine in spite of the lack of maintenance.
Dang it, that’s not what I wanted to hear. But I’ll certainly look into it. What grease are you using for driveline ujoints? The rear ujoints didn’t seem to have any play in them.

Dang it, that’s not what I wanted to hear. But I’ll certainly look into it. What grease are you using for driveline ujoints? The rear ujoints didn’t seem to have any play in them.
Rear u-joints are usually maintained because they are so easy to get to. Mine was perfect.. clearly maintained not long before I got in there. the front was totally dry.

Any standard NLGI #2 lithium driveline grease is fine, though I’d avoid Moly grease in the joints. It is fine in sliding applications but not good for needle bearings like in our u-joint caps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom