Another vibration thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is driving me nuts, new to me Lx570, 2013, 64000. There is a vibration at highway speeds between 65 and 75. Vibration is worse when the spare tire is in. It vibrates the whole cabin, you can feel it in the floor, your seat, the door if you put your leg on it. If you put your head back on the seat it vibrates your head. Removed the spare tire and the vibration is still there but not as bad. I thibk the vibration is being emphasized by the spare also. Truck came with new tires mounted and balanced. I did AHC full flush already. I checked front wheels and there is no play any direction. This new truck replaced my wife’s 4Runner and she absolutely hates it. Trying to figure this out and any help or advice would be appreciated

At those speeds I would definitely think tires. I would bring to a dealer and ask for a tire rotation and balance. Explain to them your issue. We all know they will find things that's wrong with it. Sometimes things that's not. But it can point you in the right direction. Take it home and fix it yourself. Possibly ujoints? Any noises? Wheel bearings can vibrate also. Start cheap with the tires. Good luck.

At those speeds I would definitely think tires. I would bring to a dealer and ask for a tire rotation and balance. Explain to them your issue. We all know they will find things that's wrong with it. Sometimes things that's not. But it can point you in the right direction. Take it home and fix it yourself. Possibly ujoints? Any noises? Wheel bearings can vibrate also. Start cheap with the tires. Good luck.
Problem is I bought the truck in FL and drove it home to CT. I have an appt with Lexus to try and figure it out but I think I’m going to suggest wheel and tire balance and alignment check. I also think it’s tire related, at least hoping that.

Any modifications? Does it change with a gear change or when power applied changes (speeding up/slowing down)? Does it change if you apply the brakes slightly at that speed? I know this may be obvious, but are all the lugs tight? Just thinking through this, but it would seem you are on the right track with tires. Do you have a place around you that can roadforce balance them?

Any modifications? Does it change with a gear change or when power applied changes (speeding up/slowing down)? Does it change if you apply the brakes slightly at that speed? I know this may be obvious, but are all the lugs tight? Just thinking through this, but it would seem you are on the right track with tires. Do you have a place around you that can roadforce balance them?
Bone stock, doesn’t change with gear or putting it in neutral, doesn’t change with brakes either. I’m not sure what road force balance would mean.

So driving around town, also noticing a small vibration, somewhere like 30-40mph, again much worse with the spare on and just a little with it off. The road bumps are very much more noticeable when the spare tire is in place. It’s not as bad without the spare on the vehicle. The spare mounts snug, I’m able to move it slightly though if I press on it. I don’t know why such a difference with the spare vs not having it mounted. Does anyone else spare move when it’s fully mounted or is it 100% snug?

Last edited:
So driving around town, also noticing a small vibration, somewhere like 30-40mph, again much worse with the spare on and just a little with it off. The road bumps are very much more noticeable when the spare tire is in place. It’s not as bad without the spare on the vehicle. The spare mounts snug, I’m able to move it slightly though if I press on it. I don’t know why such a difference with the spare vs not having it mounted. Does anyone else spare move when it’s fully mounted or is it 100% snug?
Hmm, I don't think its specifically related to the spare, but to the weight that the spare is loading on the rear of the vehicle. Another test would be to install the spare, load some weights in the rear hatch, and go for a ride to see if anything changes. With the weight you are loading the rear shocks, changing driveshaft angles and unloading front shocks so that weight will change vehicle dynamics.

Last edited:
My spare is tight and can’t be moved when snugged up tight.

Road force balance means the tire shop spins the tire/wheel on a balance machine that also presses the tire against a roller with road force. It takes a special machine like those made by Hunter. It detects out of balance tires much better than a machine that just spins the tire freely. Since you mentioned new tires, that’s the thing to check first. Also, the dealer may have installed super cheap tires just to say they are new. One or more may be defective.

Post some pictures of the underside of your vehicle, maybe we can see something.

ECDA2A00-41E7-4ADA-87CC-01023A684FF6.jpeg

12E531B0-7FE1-492B-819F-0D614CC1790C.jpeg

78BDC157-3308-449C-AC3D-CA2CF82A0DC3.jpeg

7EDD175B-34A1-4C00-BF4C-20495DC3B4AB.jpeg

2CECEF48-B91D-4E2B-9596-32878012E3EA.jpeg

My spare is tight and can’t be moved when snugged up tight.

Road force balance means the tire shop spins the tire/wheel on a balance machine that also presses the tire against a roller with road force. It takes a special machine like those made by Hunter. It detects out of balance tires much better than a machine that just spins the tire freely. Since you mentioned new tires, that’s the thing to check first. Also, the dealer may have installed super cheap tires just to say they are new. One or more may be defective.
Gotcha, tires installed are Goodyear eagle gt II tires.

Gotcha, tires installed are Goodyear eagle gt II t
Did you notice it on the drive home?
Yes. I thought maybe the FL roads were just a little bumpy, also was running on like 2 hours of sleep from the flight, but in Maryland I’m like, this can’t still be the road, so it’s been like this since I picked up the vehicle

I also flew down to purchase a 2013 Lexus lx 570 with cracked radiator :). And mine had 86k miles in 2018.

I would wager that the tires are defective or just needs a balance.

I also flew down to purchase a 2013 Lexus lx 570 with cracked radiator :). And mine had 86k miles in 2018.

I would wager that the tires are defective or just needs a balance.
Did we just become best friends? Do you like the truck? This thing is giving me a headache at the moment. Ordered a radiator and going to swap it out myself, dealer quotes just kept going up and up, will be the project after I get this thing to drive true.

1. This forum is fan damn tastic. Use the clubhouse for local/regional questions. I posted about wanting windshield replacement and another recommend a great company that would have never found since they don’t advertise. They do business to business. I have three other cars windshield replaced by them. They have awesome.

2. Also, I found a good independent mechanic from the clubhouse. Remember you have to to be patient with small business owners. No crap chinos. Or administrative staff. Or apps. I had radiator, water pump, thermostat, upper/lowers hoses, idler pulley, and tensioner replaced for four hours of labor ($400). I provided parts from online Toyota parts dealer. It is a four hour job. Once you remove radiator then you access all the parts easier. I had to visit the independent shop in person since he was too busy to return calls. Also I had to schedule it in three weeks since he was booked and had vacation planned.

3. Book marks when other members post about replacing certain part like starter. They usually provide alll the part numbers. Then you can purchase it when there is a Toyota parts sale. Toyota parts are well made. Even the air filter oem vs aftermarket. Huge gas savings.

4. It is a well built vehicle. We went from 85k to 134k trouble free miles thus far.

Update: swapped driver front and rear tires, torqued down in star pattern and correctly to 97ft pounds, went todo the passengers side and torque wrench snapped on loosening of first bolt. Seems the bolts were wildly torqued down and they left the one key lock looser. Went for a drive the vibration was considerably better. Once I get another torque wrench I’ll do the other side. I believe it’s a combo of the bolts being torqued like dummies and possible still one wheel out of balance. I got a brief steering wheel shake on a part of the highway I never go down so I’m not sure if it was the highway or related to that rear right wheel that got moved to the front. I’m thinking it might be the wheel cause my vibration was felt a lot in the seat and that would indicate rear wheel issue typically I believe. Think im onto the right track. Does anyone know if Toyota does a better balancing? I have an appointment with a local tire place Tuesday but wondering if I should schedule with Toyota/lexus instead

You need to use the Hunter site to find a place that does Roadforce balancing. Unfortunately, you also need to find a place that takes care of their Hunter balancer...

I've been to a Firestone that did a Roadforce, and the balance was terrible. I'd look for a high performance race/tire shop in your area that has a Hunter balancer, and even ask if it's been calibrated recently.

Some tire shops will even shave a tire that's slightly out of round. That's a more difficult service to find.

Update: swapped driver front and rear tires, torqued down in star pattern and correctly to 97ft pounds, went todo the passengers side and torque wrench snapped on loosening of first bolt. Seems the bolts were wildly torqued down and they left the one key lock looser. Went for a drive the vibration was considerably better. Once I get another torque wrench I’ll do the other side. I believe it’s a combo of the bolts being torqued like dummies and possible still one wheel out of balance. I got a brief steering wheel shake on a part of the highway I never go down so I’m not sure if it was the highway or related to that rear right wheel that got moved to the front. I’m thinking it might be the wheel cause my vibration was felt a lot in the seat and that would indicate rear wheel issue typically I believe. Think im onto the right track. Does anyone know if Toyota does a better balancing? I have an appointment with a local tire place Tuesday but wondering if I should schedule with Toyota/lexus instead
Call around and ensure the tire shop whether it’s Toyota, Discount Tire…etc. offers Road Force balancing. I have had excellent results with road force balancing. My 34” MTs track true wit zero vibrations. Prior to the MTs i put 15,000 miles on 33” AT tires that were road force balanced and they never needed to be rebalanced and always rode smooth with zero vibrations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom