Another: Turn Key NOTHING Happens (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First, thanks to all the mudders that take the time to post their issues so that we all can learn. I was researching my issue from my gym parkinglot...gotta love technology?

In any case, my 87 FJ60 has never left me hanging. As the old saying goes "Never say never!" I turned the key and the motor turned over. Not paying attention, I released the key before my FJ was completley started. Having done this 100's of times, I thought nothing of it. The subsequent crank resulted in NOTHING.

My battery is brand new and the guage showed ample power. I checked all the connections and all the grounds I could see. I even pulled out fuses just in case.

I then researched similar issues on Mud and found that the ignition switch is sometimes the culprit. I ran to the local parts shop and it was a special order. I have one on the way and will replace it for sure.

However, I went back and push started my cruiser with no problems? So I have multiple questions as a result of how easy it cranked when pushed and how it has cranked about 5 times since?

- To push start, the ignition has to be on (I Think). It was and it started. Does this mean the ignition switch is good?
- I see many starter references in the forums related to like issues. If the starter were bad, would I be getting the subsequent easy starts?
- I see that the starter is an "easy" low cost rebuild. Are the parts to do this readily available at the auto parts store?
- Is there anything else I should focus on or recheck?

Any input will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Part TWO

OK,

So I changed the ignition switch and it started right up just like it has for the last several times. Then, NOTHING. I tapped on the starter and it started. I tried again and NOTHING. Tapped the starter again and NOTHING.

Gonna put a new starter in tomorrow. The last one was done in 1997.

Any other ideas? I already pulled the old started and the new one will be here in the morning. Thanks.

-Rob

I would be surprised if the new starter does not solve your problem. Your experience with tapping the starter getting it to start suggests the starter iitself or a loose connection you bumped along the way.

The behavior you describe is very similar to mine when the starter was on its way out.

Starter in 1997? Thats a good long run for a large straight 6. MIke

Make sure that when you put the new starter in you check all the electrical connections, there are three of them. Those wires are most likely old and sometimes fray or break. That could be the culprit.

Starter it WAS

Hopefully, the problem is solved. Slapped a new starter in, about a 30min job and wallah....SUCCESS! Hopefully it stays that way!

I checked all the wires and they seem to be intact. I will be in the market for a new set...ANY IDEAS?

Thanks for all the advice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom