another Turbo BJ60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After a year or more of planning, scheming and acquiring parts I finally turboed my 3B. (big kudos to my buddy Cody for all the help)

Short stats:

CT-26 turbo (the big supra one)
13B-T Manifold
3B with 377K
H55
Stock 3.73 Gears
285/75R16 Tires.

First Highway Cruise today.

Max 8lbs boost
900 Degrees Fahrenheit (post turbo)

Cruising at 2100 RPM.
4lbs boost
750ish Degrees.

Drove Calgary to Lake Louise and back.
Pretty good headwind on the way out.
12L /100KM
Hills that often push me down to 3rd and 70KPH were easily conquered in 4th and 95ish.

Pics and install details soon.

interesting turbo choice . what made you go with the supra ct26 instead of the smaller celica one?

At what rpm does the boost come up with your set up?

interesting turbo choice . what made you go with the supra ct26 instead of the smaller celica one?

At what rpm does the boost come up with your set up?

Hi,

Choice of turbo was due to availability and that it matched the manifold.
I had a smaller garret and an adapter but they didn't fit and got a spanking deal on the big CT-26.

Boost starts coming on at 1800. Comes on fairly hard at 2500. Cruises nicely at 2100-2200.

Curious if I can add more fuel. The pyro probe is immediately post-turbine.

Pics Here: From #19 on https://picasaweb.google.com/iangreant/BJ60#

Last edited:
Nice IggI
and great to hear the report.
I would check to make sure that the oil drain return line rubber section stays unburnt after long hills.
Im doing all my (4) lines in steel & banjo fittings.

Just something to watch , but looks great & thanks for showing US.

VT

it runs nicely, weve been working on this for much too long. Youll have to email some pics of the work Ian, I should have got ya to download the pics on my computer when you were over.

Actually we cranked the fuel 3/4 of a turn and still seem to be under 1000 c (pyro pre-turbo) on the hills at around 10 psi. boost. Mine makes a significant amount more heat...

Out of curiosity, anyone here know if you swap some of the ct26 guts out on his for more low end?

This thread needs some pics of course...

One small oil leak at the turbo, we built a plate to run the feed and return oil lines to and it needs a bit of gasket, I picked some up but we'll have to get it in later this week when its not -30 :meh:
DSC_0927.JPG.jpeg
DSC_0930.JPG.jpeg
DSC_0938.JPG.jpeg

I can do Scott Lake Hill at 95KM in 4th gear--11 psi 860*F post turbo-- SO awesome!

I take it that you must have an external oil filter ? So how are you returning the oil from the turbo cooling and lube?
DSC_0927.JPG

Minds would like to know !

VT

I take it that you must have an external oil filter ? So how are you returning the oil from the turbo cooling and lube?

VT

Hi,

Yes, external oil filter.
We ran a T fitting from the oil pressure sensor inlet (unscrew sensor, screw-in T fitting) Cody would have to chime in with the type of fitting.

The oil pressure gauge, stock oil pressure sensor and turbo oil supply are all from the same junction. Hard to get a photo as it under a lot of stuff.

The return goes to a bung Cody welded on the side (high) of the oil pan.

Cheers,
Ian

DSC_0927.JPG

VT

in the bottom of the picture in the left you can see the two remote mounted filters, we had to pilfer these off of my 83, they are the amsoil dual remote/bypass. On Ians 84 the filter was mounted upwards instead of downwards like on my 83, to make room for the turbo and exhaust we needed to make room.

The oil return is into the side of the oil pan, we pulled it another day, welded in a NPT tapped piece of plate.

The stock oil switch now has a T which feeds the turbo, stock switch and aftermarket oil pressure gauge.

Quick question, I am just turboing my 60 and never had problems with hood interference when I turboed my 42, wondering if there is any tight areas or rubbing between turbo and the hood. Did you have to cut any of the hood braces?
Cheers,
Deny

Hi Deny,

No cutting or anything. Lots of room.

Awesome work!!

damn i want a Turbo'd 3B.

whats your MPG looking like?

Awesome work!!

damn i want a Turbo'd 3B.

whats your MPG looking like?

As per first post - got 12 litres per 100k for the initial test drive.
Lots of hills, lots of wind and cold.

That works out to about 20MPG US

Not bad compared to my normal numbers. Best I've gotten before is 10.5 litres per 100K which is roughly 23 MPG US.
Conditions were summer, summer diesel, no wind

^ nice!! thats pretty decent.

wish my 2F got MPG like that!

10,000 KM update

It's been 10,000 KM and over 6 months since adding the turbo.
It's worked amazingly well and other than an oil leak and a boost gauge that quit working I've had zero issues.

With the 285/75/16s and the stock gearing I tend to drive a bit fast and the fuel economy suffers. I was running 33x12.50s for a bit but didn't check the mileage. Recently switched back to a set of stock sized tires ( 235/75/15) and did a highway run to check the economy.

Calgary to Canmore and back. Pretty much steady at 110KPH and I got 10.7 Litres per 100K. Can't complain about that especially as I didn't have to downshift on Scott Lake hill and was able to maintain 100KPH.

Performance was noticeably better with the smaller tires so I suspect the 3.73 gears are too tall for the larger tires. Will probably switch to 4.11's soon.

How do you find your oil blow by?
After i turboed mine i find the draft tube is blowing a significant amount of oil.
Also the 90 degree tube on my intake blew apart within the first week

Somebody hasn't discovered the max fuel screw yet, YEEEE HAAA! When I first turboed my 3b it felt pretty gutless still. You really start to feel her pull between 12-18 psi of boost.

How do you find your oil blow by?
After i turboed mine i find the draft tube is blowing a significant amount of oil.
Also the 90 degree tube on my intake blew apart within the first week

I get some oil blow by at the turbo because I've never gotten around to putting a restrictor at the oil feed and I'm pushing too much pressure into it. Other than that, no issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom