Another Tire Question... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Sorry if this had already been discussed elsewhere (I couldn't find it), but...

I'm looking to get new tires, and I currently have aftermarket rims that I don't care for, but they have BFG MTs 32x11.5 r15, and I have an OME medium lift (all from the PO). I like the way it sits now. I don't do any serious off-roading; just the occasional trip to the snow, and some camping. A few months ago I bought a set of stock FJ60 steelies 15"x6", and have been waiting for the budget to move forward with the tires.
So today, I go into America's Tire and they tell me I can't go above 235's on those rims. I'm wanting 31" tires at the smallest (BFG TA's preferred). I leave, feeling a little stupid for not doing my research before buying the rims, and head to Les Schwab for a second opinion. They said 31s weren't a problem at all, and wanted to sell me some Toyo Open Country's (nearly $1000 installed). So I head to costco for another opinion, and they said no way on anything taller than the 235s.

So here's the question, is it really unsafe to run 31x10.5 r15s on a 15x6 rim, or is this just another case of California CYA from the shops that said no? And if it is safe, where can I find an installer that'll put em on for me?
I really love the look of the stock rims, but can't go that small with my lift. It'd look like Shaq with size 10 shoes. I really don't want to go with an aftermarket rim since everything else on the rig is stock (except for the lift).
Any thoughts & help is appreciated.

image.jpg

Here's the current set up.

Really you don't like those rims?! Man if I had the money I would buy them off you (if they were bigger than 15").

Yes the shops saying no is basically CYA. There is nothing wrong with running 31s and even 33s (though those are a stretch width wise). 235/75r15 are the stock tire size for the 15s so that is what most places like to stick with. Keep checking shops and see what you can get, or even talk to the manager of the shops to see if you can get a different opinion at those that have shut you down.

For "semi" off road use, look at the Michelin LTX A/T or M/S, lots of guys run them and love them. Supposed wear like iron too.

I have run 33 x 10.5s.. 32 x 11.5s and 33 x 12.5 on a stock wheel with no issues... I currently run a 13.2" wide tire on a 8" with no issues as well... Tire shops refused to install all of these set-ups.... they have their "safety" aka "SELL" more s*** parameters...

Go to a stand alone corner gas station and they will mount those all day long..

J

Sounds like that tire shop is going by the book. Not all do.
A BFG 31x10.5x15 AT fits on the stock 15x6" steel rim. Other tire manufacture's 31" tires do too.
The old BFG recommendation for that tire was always a 6 to 8 inch wide wheel. The new recommended wheel width has changed to 7 to 9 inches.

The 6" wheel/tire combo can support an overloaded cruiser over several hundred of miles of the worst baja trails and roads you can find and and drive tens of thousands of miles on pavement just fine. That is a fact. Sometimes the tire can be a tight fit mounting it on the rim. Although the 6" rim width helps protect the sidewall from rock cuts, it works less than ideal in the sand, even when the tire is aired down, as it pulls in the tire's footprint.

@reevesci @gregnash @Output Shaft

Wow! Great info. Thank you all for the replies. I was about ready to just give up, and keep my existing rims.

So since I want to go with a "larger than recommended" tire, should order from tirerack.com, have them shipped to my house, then take them to a mom and pop kind of place for the install? Is there a better site to order from? Or should I find the installer first, and order through them?
Thanks again!

Last edited:
I run Michelin LTX tires on my 4Runner. Best tire I have ever owned for mild off-roading. BFG AT's are on my 60 and Tacoma. Can't complain about them either.

I'm running 255 75 17s on my 4 runner(32s) and got them at Discount tire. They were hesitant at first since it was not the factory size but after I told them that I had already researched it and assured them I wanted them for off road use , they had no problem ordering them. Guys were very nice and professional so it didn't take long.. Went with Goodyear Duratracs FYI..

I ended up going with BFG All-terrain 31x10.5 r15's. I called Les Schwab, and they had no problem installing the tires I brought in (and no issue with the size). I bought the tires from onlinetires.com They had half off shipping. I think they got here about 4 days after I ordered.
Ok, enough blabbing... Here's a pic.
image.jpg

And another...
image.jpg

Wow, good looking FJ,I am going back and forth with the same issue, I currently run 32x11.5x15 on what appears to be the same rims you have, and they use all of the wheel well. With the one inch spacers they will rub at full flex. Did you have any issues with your old rims rubbing on your calipers or being super tight on the tie rod? I can't run wheel weights on the inside bead of the rim or else it will hit the tie rod........your truck is clean as a pin!!

Great choice! Man the chrome wheels look really good with the dark grey paint. Perfect match with the other chrome trim. I don't think it could look any better. The 31 ATs are also an upgrade from your old 32 MT.... for what you are using your car for. Good show.

Wow, good looking FJ,I am going back and forth with the same issue, I currently run 32x11.5x15 on what appears to be the same rims you have, and they use all of the wheel well. With the one inch spacers they will rub at full flex. Did you have any issues with your old rims rubbing on your calipers or being super tight on the tie rod? I can't run wheel weights on the inside bead of the rim or else it will hit the tie rod........your truck is clean as a pin!!
I didn't have any problems with the old rims rubbing. (I also didn't do any rock crawling.) They were 15x8, and no spacers. I don't remember how close they were to the tie rod ends, but there are no signs of wear/rubbing.

Good looking 62, really digging the stock wheels. I've been debating whether or not to tint my windows on mine, but yours looks really nice.
I had that same debate (I love the fish bowl look), but the Northern California summer won out. The AC just couldn't keep up when it was over 95. I went with the tint just below 'limo' at the suggestion of the installer, but really wish I would have gone a shade lighter. With it this dark, it kind of makes me look like I'm up to no good. The rig is WAY cooler inside though.

I ended up going with BFG All-terrain 31x10.5 r15's. I called Les Schwab, and they had no problem installing the tires I brought in (and no issue with the size). I bought the tires from onlinetires.com They had half off shipping. I think they got here about 4 days after I ordered.
Ok, enough blabbing... Here's a pic.
View attachment 945744
And another...
View attachment 945745

BFG ATs with white letters out is the best looking tire on any Land Cruiser I think, good choice. And the stock wheels look exactly one million times better than those aftermarket ones. Now just get the chrome rocker trim and rain gutter trim back on there and it will be perfect! You must own the chrome!

BFG ATs with white letters out is the best looking tire on any Land Cruiser I think, good choice. And the stock wheels look exactly one million times better than those aftermarket ones. Now just get the chrome rocker trim and rain gutter trim back on there and it will be perfect! You must own the chrome!
I wish I had the chrome. One of the PO's pulled it who knows how long ago. I bought the windshield and rear glass chrome from the Stealership, and was a little ticked when I saw they were plastic!!! I didn't have much choice since I'm not blacking her out. Oh well, at least it looks good. Just hope it holds up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom