ANOTHER Tire post (but it’s a new to market tire) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

How is your wet weather traction & braking?

Alright. Have a few days on the tires and I am beyond pleased. I hate to sound like that over emotional or over hyped person about something new or different, but hear me out.

I had become frustrated with my build (BP51 and 285/70/18 ridge grapplers E load). I knew the ride would be firmer, but I couldn’t dial in the suspension to get the ride I wanted. I was running the grapplers at 34 psi cold, trying to get the harshness of the E rating to go away. Was I being sensitive? Maybe, but I prioritize comfort and on road function over off road capability, as this is my DD. I need my tires to be good enough for the light off roading I do, but excellent on road.

So I began searching for a C rated tire for the 18” wheel and quickly found it doesn’t exist. I really didn’t want to swap out my wheels to 17” to get C tires, so I become irritated with my situation, and even considered just switching out everything to stock.

Then I stumbled upon the 275/70/18 ATX in the P/SL rating. My faith in an awesome lifted ride is restored. My wife has 285-70-17 C load KO2 on her Sequoia and I would say these ride very similar, although if anything ATX are a touch more compliant and smooth. The ATX do not have near the flex and boaty feel of the original dunlops, allowing them to corner well. All rigidity and harshness is gone, and I could not be more pleased. While the ATX have a less aggressive sidewall, I think it actually suits the look of the cruiser I’m going for, a little more understated.

Hope this helps anyone who finds themself in my same predicament.

I’m running at 33 psi cold, have no rubbing, but I did heat mold my front liners when I had the 285/70/18 grapplers.

Here are a few pics

View attachment 2922276
View attachment 2922277
View attachment 2922278
Excellent write up. I'm struggling with something similar (at least the way it sounds) I'm deep $ into suspension with KING suspension and Ridge Grapler tires that seem to be the major reason I HATE driving my badass land cruiser. It's so annoying that I've considered selling it and losing over 50k in mods. That's how frustrating the ride is. My mechanic/off road shop went back and did some more work on the springs/etc and that made a noticeable difference, but the roughness and bouncy ride just won't go away. Everyone agrees its the tires. Is C rated the same thing as a ply? Don't answer that, I'll look it up. Anyway, I'm going to check out these tires. Thank you.

Excellent write up. I'm struggling with something similar (at least the way it sounds) I'm deep $ into suspension with KING suspension and Ridge Grapler tires that seem to be the major reason I HATE driving my badass land cruiser. It's so annoying that I've considered selling it and losing over 50k in mods. That's how frustrating the ride is. My mechanic/off road shop went back and did some more work on the springs/etc and that made a noticeable difference, but the roughness and bouncy ride just won't go away. Everyone agrees its the tires. Is C rated the same thing as a ply? Don't answer that, I'll look it up. Anyway, I'm going to check out these tires. Thank you.
What’s the load rating on your ridge grapplers? I found in my own use that high load tires are very sensitive to tire pressure, and can be too hard to too soft across just 3 psi - 35 too soft, 36 just right, 37 too stiff (129 load tires).
This was resolved going to a floatation size with a 121 load, these have a much wider acceptable pressure - 34 is best, but 32 thru 37 work fine too. Same approximate diameter.

What’s the load rating on your ridge grapplers? I found in my own use that high load tires are very sensitive to tire pressure, and can be too hard to too soft across just 3 psi - 35 too soft, 36 just right, 37 too stiff (129 load tires).
This was resolved going to a floatation size with a 121 load, these have a much wider acceptable pressure - 34 is best, but 32 thru 37 work fine too. Same approximate diameter.
I don't know what load rating is.

I give pieces of money to a guy who makes my LC look badass. I'm about to give more money to another group of people who will give me rubber tires that I pray rides better. I'm going to look up what a floatation size is.

Hold, please

I don't know what load rating is.

I give pieces of money to a guy who makes my LC look badass. I'm about to give more money to another group of people who will give me rubber tires that I pray rides better. I'm going to look up what a floatation size is.

Hold, please
It’s printed on your tire sidewall. Or post up your current size and we can look it up in the book.
33” examples are Flotation 33x11r18, and iso metric 285/70r18. The flotation is load 121, the isometric is load 127. Stock load using p rated isometric radials is 114.

I’’m no expert on the suspension , lots on here have custom valved kings and they are reputed to ride really well. But these have been valved by someone who knows the chassis, Ben at filthy Motorsports is referenced often.

Any follow up or additional reviews for this tire? I'm in the market for some new tires for my wife's 2018 LC and dont want to get E rated tires (I have them on my 100 and its too harsh for her) and this looks like a great option. Just curious if there are any additional reviews and what @TNLNDCRZR thoughts are now with another 4+ months of driving on them.

Any follow up or additional reviews for this tire? I'm in the market for some new tires for my wife's 2018 LC and dont want to get E rated tires (I have them on my 100 and its too harsh for her) and this looks like a great option. Just curious if there are any additional reviews and what @TNLNDCRZR thoughts are now with another 4+ months of driving on them.
Nothing but positive things to say. They are remaining quiet (not silent), have good traction in all weather I have encountered, no balancing issues, and they are wearing well. I also think they “look the part” for the 200. Not over the top aggressive appearance but just enough. When approaching the truck, the eyes don’t go straight to the tire, unlike so many other trucks out there.

1678396318534.jpeg

Just the kind of feedback I was looking for, thank you! I have some 295/70/18 E rated tires on my 100 series and they are pretty stiff (even at 35psi). Sounds like the ATX's are much better riding tires. And I agree about the appearance, not too aggressive like some others.

Nothing but positive things to say. They are remaining quiet (not silent), have good traction in all weather I have encountered, no balancing issues, and they are wearing well. I also think they “look the part” for the 200. Not over the top aggressive appearance but just enough. When approaching the truck, the eyes don’t go straight to the tire, unlike so many other trucks out there.

View attachment 3268081
Awesome. And to be clear you still have bp51 installed right? & which springs..

Awesome. And to be clear you still have bp51 installed right? & which springs..
Yes. 2721 currently. But have a set of the bilstein rear springs in the garage that I’m going to try out. Roughly same spring rate as oem but adds lift. Want a little more compliance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom