Another thread on carb fan. Have trouble shot everything help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This is the switch. Not sure if one can determine if it is a snap switch or thermistor.

I cannot find that relay. This is a 11/78 rig. No time to pull controller box off last night but will do tonight

think it is worth trying the ohm test as grounding it did not work

DD930A44-69D8-4508-BC52-31AEE9FD4F0F.jpeg

141F7938-0E34-4062-92AA-50C8F976C68C.jpeg

You could try checking the sensor. Not knowing the manifold temp, I would expect to see anywhere form 1k to 5k ohms after you heat it up for a few minutes. I would monitor during warm up to normal operating temp and see what you get. Sensor center post to ground. These have a good bit higher resistance when room temp (maybe 30k)

Doing the same troubleshooting in my 78. Sensor appears to be the same so maybe a thermistor. Following with interest and will post on the resistance cold and hot.

sorry for the delay. Here is my carb fan controlling unit and the internals. Anyone see an issue with the board and is this mysterious relay incorporated in the board?

IMG_1222.jpg

IMG_1224(2).jpg

IMG_1223.jpg

IMG_1221.jpg

I would re-flow all the solder pads. I have no idea why there would appear to be something leaking onto the circuit board on the component side below what appears to be a can type relay. If it were a capacitor it would make more sense.
In the first photo what is in the dark area to the left of the green socket, next to the ceramic capacitor ? It looks like a clump of something.

They were sloppy in the manufacture of these things, they are coated with left over flux. And they use a bit of some sort of glue to keep the caps from moving around. I have also seen transistor leads completely rusted away.

Last edited:
78 carb cooling fan systems use a thermistor under the manifold (like you've pictured) so, yes, there is a specific resistance value determined by temperature. I believe it has a wax pellet inside - whatever that is. There is no seperate can relay like that pictured in an earlier post. That officially started in 1/1979. But I have seen other wiring anomallies with very late 1978 vehicles mostly in 12/78 models that have features of 1979 models but with no catalytic converter.

The relay on the the circuit board sends power to the fan. I heard my relay clattering (when the fan was trying to turn on) in an old, tired controller years ago, and that problem went away when I installed a different controller. You might remove the plastic relay cover (if possible) and study the condition of the contacts.

I have been totally tied up with work, kids and summer schedules. Sorry for not checking in. I swapped another control box and still no fan. I attempted to take the thermistor off to find a replacement and it is rusted on. I need to check it with an ohm meter but have not done so yet. I have time this weekend and am hoping to get to it.
I will for sure advise

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom