Another thread about tires from a guy who has tried a ton of tires... need advice. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My K02s are almost done as well. I think I’m going to give the Nokian Outpost A/T a shot. I will wait until the spring since I have Nokias R3 winters to use.

View attachment 3111647
I just bought a set to replace Michelin LTX 275-70-16
I went with 285-75-16 paid about $250 a corner (labor day sale)
will try to post a pic this afternoon.
I have intentions to drive them in snow and have been a nokian user for Volvo's(2 wheel drive 240 era) etc for many years.
I guess this Outpost AT is a new for USA market tire, being mfd in USA

I just bought a set to replace Michelin LTX 275-70-16
I went with 285-75-16 paid about $250 a corner (labor day sale)
will try to post a pic this afternoon.
I have intentions to drive them in snow and have been a nokian user for Volvo's(2 wheel drive 240 era) etc for many years.
I guess this Outpost AT is a new for USA market tire, being mfd in USA
How do you like them?

I was just looking at thos Kenda RTs and thought they might be a good compromise tire. Like you I am concerned with the winter performance of true MTs but was interested in something a bit more aggressive than typical ATs. I have BFG KO2s now and they have been a pretty good all arounder. They actually still have 10+/32nd left but are 5 years old and somewhat beaten up. I think I want to go bigger than the 275/70/18s that I have but am worried it is a can of worms. Would the 285s fit with stock wheels on a Heavy OME lift (no BL) with not much more than a liner relocation and maybe a pinch weld hammer?

Nokian Outpost AT 285-75-16 So Far So Good! I mean, They are balanced ;) drive well, I paid for an alignment, they may be slightly louder than the michelins -not an issue for me.....the real test will be snow (god willing!!!) in the Sierra soon! The michelins worked great in the snow, had no complaints there! I got some looks when i ventured in to the early sections of Rubicon(up around and behind Homewood ski area dry season) with those though!! ha, honestly they worked fine for most of the simple wheeling i've done. these will encourage me to find some other forest 4whl routes in Cali, hoping to do a Utah (Bears Ears?) adventure this winter...
messages_0 (13).jpeg
messages_0 (12).jpeg
messages_0 (11).jpeg

Same boat here Drew,

Also same taste in tires but in recent years, after my last set of BFG KO2's I basically surmised that they don't seem to perform as well as newer tire designs - they don't do well in snow of any kind from my experience and although their off-road traction in your neck of the woods is awesome (i.e. perfect delicious loose dirt), I find them lacking in anything that can pack the tread gaps and they don't clear well.

On both my 80 and now this truck I have become a fan of Toyos (of any variety). Read all the threads on here and I think you'll find they age well, are nearly bomb-proof, and have unbeatable traction.

I've been running the MT variety for about 8 years now between trucks and as I'm aging (almost 40 now), I do find them to be somewhat abusive on long hauls (think road trip). They are quiet for an MT, but they're still an MT. I will say here in Michigan when the temps drop below 50 they become bricks and traction on wet/cold roads drops off. Anything off-road though and they stick to everything meaning no stucky stucky.

I've run into quite a few people that run the AT2 variety which I'll be purchasing in the spring - they look slightly more aggressive than the AT3 and have true 3 season competency it seems. I am also curious about the RT as I have heard great things about them as well. Tons of sizes available too.

Size wise I have been happy with my MT's in the 285/70R18 variety - 34.1" x 11.3". I don't run spacers like you and there's still good clearance all around and I haven't managed to rub anywhere. I didn't even have to do to pinch weld. Again lots of threads on that size I think.

I find myself once again looking forward to what you come up with.

I love the Ridge Grapplers so far but no idea how they do in the "snow", not even sure what "snow" is. Is that like what happens when you shave a block of ice and pour syrup on top? Idk
Second that on Ridge Grapplers. Last set I ran on the 4Runner I sold were great on pavement, dirt and rocks and wore really well. They had 35-40k when I sold the truck and the guy who bought it was shocked by how quiet they were given how they looked. Don’t know how they would do on snow though. The occasional drives I had on snow were all hiking backpacking trips up north in AZ - they seemed to be doing fine, but I didn’t have anything else to compare to. Now running the same tires 34” on the 100 - still liking them.

98FC4FA3-F4B1-4066-B82C-C7755F394F97.jpeg

I just noticed Michelin LTX AT2 tires come in two load sizes. Standard and E-Ply. Here is the comparison on the two. Which one is the correct tire for our 100?

(1) Is an E Ply an overkill considering the extra weight?
(2) Is the E Ply expected to last longer considering it has about 25% deeper tread?
(3) What would be the noise difference between the two?

Any ideas?

1663356154988.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom