Another thought relative to cooling (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Romer

fatherofdaughterofromer
Threads
My friend had an idea to today on increasing air flow in to the engine bay. Since the ARB already has turn signals, take the stock ones out and make some kind of ducting through the open hole.

Let's chew on that one for a bit:D

I think you should just remove your fenders! :D

The perfect height to shove a bunch of water in through at an inconvienient time.

cruiserdan said:
The perfect height to shove a bunch of water in through at an inconvienient time.

Aren't you suppose to be counting parts or something:D

That's comming up soon, thanks for the reminder...:flipoff2:

Note to self....has yet to hook up gauges. I suspect he may wire the temp gauge inaccurately (being an EE and all) and will scare himself real badddddddd

cruiserdan said:

Ya, but that would cool well right?:D

Right up to when it hydro-locks....:eek:

Ok Seriously, I think you misunderstood. This would not bring air to the intake just air or water into the engine bay. to increase air flow in. Still probably need to work on airflow out as well.

If water there would hurt, then water up through the bottom of the bay or through the grill would do the same thing.

Running lights, not corner lights, in other words.

-Spike

The ones you tie the ARB turn signals into in the front under the grill. Not the ones on the corner.

Obviously more air through the engine bay would be a universal good in terms of cooling, but the small amount of heat transfer gained by even an effective passive duct like this doesn't merit a lot of time or effort. It seems best to focus on increased airflow through the radiator, or a more effective radiator - those are the two big hitters that will tangibly improve cooling capacity. The third area would be improvements in tranny fluid cooling and oil cooling. I suspect the cheapest and simultaneously biggest bang for the buck is an added external tranny cooler with some type of thermostat. This is based on the supposition that the greatest needs for cooling occur when the tranny is under stress (towing, heavy wheeling) and generating massive heat.

DougM

How many tranny coolers do you need? You already have 2.

-Spike

Romer said:
Ok Seriously, I think you misunderstood. This would not bring air to the intake just air or water into the engine bay. to increase air flow in. Still probably need to work on airflow out as well.

If water there would hurt, then water up through the bottom of the bay or through the grill would do the same thing.

Sure make a shroud to funnel to a 3" flex hose, route it under the hood and point it at whatever you want to cool, it will do a bang up job at 80 mph. Now think of cruising at Moab, most of the day at 5 mph or less, it's not going to do any good and may get in the way of slow speed cooling. If your system is designed to cool well creeping up Hells Revenge, the highway stuff is gravy and aerodynamic aids are mostly worthless.

Spike,

Actually, I don't need any coolers or added coolant capacity as I tow heavy and never have cooling issues. Just suggesting people expend energy on cooling mods that will have an impact.

Also, forgot to mention adding pressurized air into the engine bay may in fact reduce air flow through the radiator from freeway speeds. So, unknown bennies on that one.

DougM

I just can't imagine anyone adding another tranny cooler to an 80. Perhaps an oil cooler, that would be an area not already addressed at the factory.

-Spike

-Spike- said:
I just can't imagine anyone adding another tranny cooler to an 80. Perhaps an oil cooler, that would be an area not already addressed at the factory.

-Spike

The oil is cooled by a water to oil heat exchanger from the factory.

WHAT??? Where the hell is that goodie? I had one on my 4Runner, but haven't seen it on the 80, and I was wondering why. Do tell!

-Spike

-Spike- said:
WHAT??? Where the hell is that goodie? I had one on my 4Runner, but haven't seen it on the 80, and I was wondering why. Do tell!

-Spike

On the passengers side of the block.:D Get out your FSM!:flipoff2:

Romer said:
...Since the ARB already has turn signals, take the stock ones out and make some kind of ducting through the open hole...D
The air going through the open turn signal holes is air that is 1) not going through the radiator, 2) increasing the back pressure in the engine compartment which would further reduce the air flow through the radiator.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom