Builds Another Texas LS1 Swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I thought white didn't use a clear coat. Has this rig been repainted?

I bought it from Jasen (hamburgler) and now this rig is up in Colorado.

Put in drawers and switched wheels to Duratrac 35” on alloy rims. Sold the 37’s on steel rims. 35” stuffs fully into body for better flex. Have a B&M sport shifter to put in and an OBA compressor from ARB to install. Also the Slee belly pan skid plate to put on.

Used the truck in two snow storms so far. In 2 wheel with Goodyear tires it’s fine. I grew up as a teenager with a 3 on the tree 76 bronco in winter and so very comfortable with aV8 powered drift in snow. Engaging the 4 high and Asin hubs manually the truck then is a tank.

Enjoying it even though have had random wire connection issues and that’s all part of the fun. So yeah - the 5.3 Vortec WereCruiser beast is in the Rocky Mountains

82EBF753-93A5-4AED-9C42-4CD80E0AF581.jpeg

0AB9AFD2-E1BA-4C09-9484-135A9D6E96C8.jpeg

D115B7EC-7A1A-4090-B6F1-AA064D5635A7.jpeg
Dry fitted the big Slee skid plate, everything will clear. Just needed to add a hole so can reach and drain t60 transfer case oil. Will put this in place soon as I install new B&M sport shifter.

Installing B&M Sportshifter with cable and back up light switch and NSS. Got old shifter out and new one bolted to floor. Working on cable routing and adjustment today.

FE0FE8C8-198C-444D-8738-54DB7F204F10.jpeg

Installing B&M Sportshifter with cable and back up light switch and NSS. Got old shifter out and new one bolted to floor. Working on cable routing and adjustment today.

View attachment 1677809

Didn’t it have the stock shifter in it ??? Did it not work right ???

Didn’t it have the stock shifter in it ??? Did it not work right ???
The shifting was loose and vague with the stock shifter and the bar linkage. And it didn’t have reverse light switch or NSS - so the B&M is aftermarket for the 4L65e tranny. Gets me the two switches and will see. Currently I’ve not been able to dial in cable. I either get forward go and no reverse or park or get park and reverse and no forward.

Taking to my transmission buddy who is very familiar with that tranny.

Ran the truck with 112 lbs of water in jugs on that tail gate and went up Pole Hill near RMNP or Estes Park in Colorado (my back yard) good news is the Jerry can set up held and didn’t budge, bad news is with the 4L60 tranny... ran into to load issues at low rpm Rock crawling up steep steps where I needed to go slow to not bang but my 35”s wouldn’t turn - issue seems to be what the computer thinks is being asked and what I really need. Solution to get through was a slight bounce to start her going and crawling a little faster than I liked - found a good write up of options to try with this transmission motor combo and off road builds ... so here is the list :

Tranny tunes for 5.3L LS motor?

If you've got the right axle gearing for the tires, a few simple parts can help the 60/65E last on the trail.

1. Again, cool the SOB well and never let it go above 200*F. Install a trans temp gauge if you like monitoring your systems. On all my buggy builds I plumb in a fan-cooled transmission cooler with a 180*F on, 170*F off in-line switch. Whenever the fan is running, a very small red LED dash light comes to life to tell me I'm pushing her hard. Increase fluid capacity in any way possible (ie. deeper pan, bigger cooler(s))

2. Keep the torque converter stall speed low and use the torque of the 5.3L to get things moving. 2500+ rpm converters create a lot of heat. I use the factory 5.3L converter to turn 35's, 37's and 46's in 3 different buggies/truggies.

3. Protect the trans from shock loads and low RPM torque stress by changing out the 4 pinion planetaries (front and back) with the 5 pinion planetaries. (these are what distinguish a 60E from a 65E (amongst a few other goodies))

4. Swap out the factory sunshell for a Beast sunshell. Google will help you find this. This is a great addition for improving the strength of all the shifting you'll be doing from Reverse to Drive, and back and forth as you navigate an obstacle. The factory sunshell is notorious for cracking around the collar.

5. A factory LSx Corvette Servo. No need for blind or billet this and that, factory GM part here will do wonders to hold gears with more pressure and will reduce slipping during shifts.

6. A good tune, especially with the 5.3L in front of it. I'd remove most torque management from the tune, but leave some down low below 600rpm's to help low RPM shocking of the trans.

That's about all you'd need for a low speed/trail riding buggy. Get your rebuild kit from a local shop, I don't trust the parts in many online vendors's kits...but local tranny shops use the best parts because they hate warranty returns.

80065473-01D9-4B49-B011-EE6A96DBBF64.jpeg

Update: tank has done a handful of trails around Colorado and ran up to the tetons for some camping. The frustration that the she had was solved when I arrived in Colorado by removing the OEM NSS that was disconnected from tranny but still wired into harness. That would flopple a bit and send variable voltage. Clipped it and solved. Then the key tumbler decided it was tired and would intermittently allow tank to start. For a bit I would use my trigger remote start jumper and so i punted and wires up a button. Turn key on, if tumbler decides it doesn’t want to play I just hit the button. So no NSS and jump button. But it’s been awhile and has made ski trips, trail runs and pulls the small trailer at times. Reliably. Had the rear drive shaft rebuilt a few years ago.

195967BC-B3F7-4ECA-A98B-C4E0D3B6861F.jpeg

0D41BF8C-87FC-4359-A2A2-2250902E09E5.jpeg

Glad to see it in it's natural habitat!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom