Another strange hole... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Many of you were very helpful with the mystery hole in the windshield frame for my '78 FJ40 (an extra washer nozzle fitting goes there). Now, I am wondering what the small hole in the middle of the wiper motor cover is for? I have seen these on several cruisers, but I have also seen several without the hole. :confused:

Thanks,
Dave

Hello @Honger

I looked into this a while ago... As I like looking into abnormalities :)... It seams the hole shows up in hot areas ... And no hole in cold areas (mostly)

There is even a plug the goes in the hole but more often then not there is no plug

Plug number I pulled from Toyodiy 90950-01077

I am guessing it is used to cool down the motor in hot locations because it is confined to that small tin box ... Small amount of water and air would be helpful

Locations like upper north I would imagine you wouldn't want water... And then ice ... Or have a need to cool it down

Just my observations ... A while ago

Hello @Honger

I looked into this a while ago... As I like looking into abnormalities :)... It seams the hole shows up in hot areas ... And no hole in cold areas (mostly)

There is even a plug the goes in the hole but more often then not there is no plug

Plug number I pulled from Toyodiy 90950-01077

I am guessing it is used to cool down the motor in hot locations because it is confined to that small tin box ... Small amount of water and air would be helpful

Locations like upper north I would imagine you wouldn't want water... And then ice ... Or have a need to cool it down

Just my observations ... A while ago

I like this analysis... makes sense.

I interpreted 90950-01077, in the ToyoDIY diagram, as the screw for the cover. You sure it's the plug? I'm gonna check on it's availability and order one. =)

Manufacturer
TOYOTA
Number
90950-01077
Description
PACKING, WINDSHIELD WIPER MOTOR

Another calls it PLUG,HOLE

This is what I got ... I think the screw is 90159-50054

If the plug is available Beno can get it as you know :)

Manufacturer
TOYOTA
Number
90950-01077
Description
PACKING, WINDSHIELD WIPER MOTOR

Another calls it PLUG,HOLE

This is what I got ... I think the screw is 90159-50054

If the plug is available Beno can get it as you know :)

Your ToyoDIY-kung-fu is clearly a different level than mine... I just had a 1980 FJ40 for the GCC pulled up and in that particular reference it's just called a "STD PART". Thanks for the help!

Not sure I would understand having a hole for heat releaf. Hole is so small to transfer any heat. Also when you use the wipers it's raining/snowing. Being a old HVAC guy can tell heat transfer is much better in water than just air. Condensation would make more sense.

Isn't the bottom kinda open on the cover... The gasket is only a horseshoe

I would imagine that the amount of water to get in it and air would help cool it down

I was finding that it was in warm/hot areas that the hole is used mostly ... I wouldn't think condensation wouldnt be an issue at all in these areas

Having the hole right in front would let water in ... If it were for condensation I would think it would be more at the top edge on the side than almost center in front

... Just thinking out loud ... Who knows it could be either one

Some things mrT did were odd :meh:

I love odd however :)

So the UAE is very humid... and it's quite dusty. My motor was caked with dust/grime and I wish the cover wasn't opened at the bottom. It just allows the dust to blow right in while driving. I'm also plugging the hole.

It must be there for some sort of "relief" purpose... condensation, warm air, something.

Maybe it's a reset button in there. If you put a straightened paperclip in and push until you get a slight 'click' everything will be good after it finishes rebooting.

In other words - too much worrying over small things. Think less; drive more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom