Another Steering gear nut post (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Long and short of it is, I ordered a new Reman steering gear unit from Rock Auto. Put it in th truck as per the FSM and today I was driving and noticed a nasty oil smell in the cabin. So popped the hood and started looking around. Found a leak on the steering gear unit and was like wtf just replaced this thing. After some digging looking on the steering gear box I found the nut on top for the adjustment screw had come loose and now was leaking fluid. So started reading what I need to do to retighten and adjust. Think have a pretty good idea on that part of it.

My question is what would cause the nut to come loose in the first place? They even had it marked with a red paint dot to show that as part of the QA someone had checked it. At least that my theory.

As for readjustment will have to put it on jacks disconnect Steering stabilizer. Start adjusting screw clockwise or counter counter clockwise and check play size to side. Then retighten bolt, but I guess you do not want to over tighten. FSM shows 31 ft\Ibs. So not really that much. Also do I need to replace the washer from this?

I just got my box rebuilt by West Texas Off-road and after 200 miles it began leaking fluid out of the top. I also am looking for the best course of action with this problem.

Mine did the same, just tighten it up and you should be good to go.

I am a bit lost as to where I need to adjust the screw. No marks were left to indicate the proper screw position and I've since fiddled with it enough that I have no clue where the right spot is. When I jack up the front and turn the steering wheel, it all feels the same no matter where I adjust the screw. I am very afraid of having it too tight and ruining th freshly rebuilt gearbox.

I've fiddled with mine a bit, both OEM and rebuilt boxes, and actually just tightened mine up a hair after going thru the rest of the suspension - it would be the last thing I'd adjust on any suspension or steering refresh after ensuring that everything else is on spec or upgraded from OEM. Anyway, I've overtightened and had "binding", and you'll feel that with a lack of "return to center", as well as undertightened and then there is noticeable slop in the steering wheel. Put a piece of masking tape at the top center of your steering wheel and go for a drive. Ideally you have about 3/4" inch of play, maybe less. If zero, your steering gear is definitely binding, if alot more you need to take up the slop...all this assuming you don't have play in any of the steering or suspension linkage.

It's a it of a trick to tighten it all up, but a flat edge screw bit in a long extension, along with a 17mm gear wrench, and a psuedo yoga pose will do it. I coat mine with rubber cement once set & have never had an issue with it vibrating loose (I feel that threadlocker would be overkill here).

HTH. Disclaimer: I'm an adjust-by-touch ie caveman mechanic...yeah with a bunch of fancy tools and torque wrenches etc...but I bet the majority of driveway techs here are as well, and I've been playing with this rig for 17 years.

Mine won't tighten or loosen anymore. I had a leaking seal washer so removed the nut. I tried to loosen the adjustment screw and it wouldn't loosen. Tried to tighten and it would only go about an 1/8 turn. Not sure why it won't loosen up anymore. Screw is about flush with the nut right now so I know it has room to move

Same story as a lot of others here. Tightened and adjusted, now leaking bad at the nut. Need to re-tighten. Also anyone got a PN for the washer is this something I can pick up at the hardware store?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom