Another Rusty Cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello All, Ive been searching for some time in order to locate a 60/62 LC. I have several candidates that ive been looking over. One of which I was warned off of in this thread: https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/447333-ruuuussty-what-do-you-feed-animal.html#post6219199

Here is my next try. What do you think about the amount of rust on this vehicle?

Is this a deal killer?

The rest of the vehicle is in great condition with little surface rust spots here and there. What is it going to take to stop this rust? Is POR 15 going to be able to stop that amount or am I going to need a cut and replace session?

Thanks in advance.

Capdaddy
Rusty 2.jpg

Not a deal killer if the body is in good shape. Search on "C-channel" to see what you're up against for the cut and replace.
Butt

The frame rust can be dealt with in that form, but I'd be worried about that trailer wiring harness. They are usually spliced in and can cause corrosion in the rear wiring harness. Plan on addressing that rust as soon as possible.

Because that one is a 62, make sure the tranny is in good shape, that would concern me more than the frame rust.

Because that one is a 62, make sure the tranny is in good shape, that would concern me more than the frame rust.

Ok How would I make that determination? Aside from the smoothness of the shifts while driving and inspecting for leaks, is there something I should look for or some procedure I should follow to test the trans?

The transmission was supposedly replaced with a lower mileage unit.

capdaddy

I don't have a 62 so I don't know the specific procedures, but I would assume that if shifts are smooth, there is no clunking when shifting from park to drive or reverse and the AT light does not come on while accelerating up grades, then you're good.

When was it replaced? Is there a receipt for the work?

The current owner works at a 4x4 shop and bought the cruiser cheap because the old transmission wasnt working. He replaced it with another unit from a parted out vehicle. It was done about 8 months ago. From the looks of the rest of the vehicle modifications and maintenance I believe he would have done it correctly. It is also his daily driver.

Is it a auto or stick? I can't tell and I don't recall you saying. As far as the rust on the frame, that can be dealt with like GLTHFJ60 said.
Where are you located? I live in Madison Heights

Good luck and Welcome

Mike

It's a 62 based on the fact that it has a rear sway bar, so it is an auto.

For me it is a deal breaker, but, I am from California and do not put up with any rust, nor do I know how to really deal with rust... I would keep looking... The raising up of the inner C-Channel means it is history and if you want to completely restore the truck, it will have to be delt with. Personally, I prefer to work on "bolt on" parts....
For the auto tranny, find a long grade on the fwy and run it full bore in the right gear, as fast as it will go up the hill... If the tranny shifts correctly and does not heat up (ie. light does not go on), that is a good sign. After this, check the smell of the tranny fluid on the dip stick... If it does not smell burnt, this is another good sign...

Cool, I didn't know that.

Only works for US market trucks. Other world market trucks came with all kinds of options that we didn't get so rules like that don't always apply.

How much rust is too much? That is a matter of personal preference, I guess. FWIW, the rust on that frame is too much for me. I'd let that one go on by and keep looking. I don't think FJ62's are all that rare. You'll find a nice one, just keep looking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom