Another Rust thread unfortunately (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone, fairly new owner here of a 1998 White 100 series. I got it from my aunt for a good price, but the amount of rust is concerning. Think I may only be using it for off-roading based on the severity of the rust. Let me know your thoughts. Again it’s a Michigan vehicle....

2976AA62-32DF-4CB3-87AA-D57322CCB024.jpeg

CAC35640-B3AA-46A7-836F-2B3448CFD963.jpeg

A36F30B7-6E46-4EF2-9D58-FE1EB84D12FF.jpeg

4ABF4D1C-817F-4FFF-8FC2-316A87CBF8E7.jpeg

2FD8B9F6-8A14-4AC1-995A-D448B0245F4C.jpeg

I’ve seen worse. Most of it looks like it can be wire-wheeled off to clean metal and painted over (or just leave it as-is and soak with fluid film). The exceptions are the rear lower control arm mounts, but those are easy to cut off and weld on a used non-rusty set from a junkyard 100.

Haha I appreciate the reply’s. I was thinking of getting some 285s and cutting off the boards. Not sure my two daughters would like me taking their pink car though..

Another vote for parts vehicle for the pink thing.

that titanic bottom of the sea looking crust shoukd wire wheel off. poke at frame in key areas, check gas tank integrity andMost importantly Brake and fuel lines. If those are good then get to wire wheeling

Coat it with Fluid Film as best you can and drive it till it breaks in half. That's not outright horrible rust, but there's no bringing that back.

Coat it with Fluid Film as best you can and drive it till it breaks in half. That's not outright horrible rust, but there's no bringing that back.
That truck is done. Fluid Film at this point would be like trying to revive a dead animal that’s been decaying for a few weeks.

Thanks for all your replies! I’ll try to check and see how bad it is on the frame, as well as fuel and brake lines. Here’s a few more pics as well.

034C953E-479A-4334-B24C-95DA2F9A2A70.jpeg

1797D92A-BC06-46C6-BB2C-945C87287DEC.jpeg

332E0746-F0B0-4C56-8870-E5C940DFFBE8.jpeg

As a rust-averse person, I think there have been much worse posted. At least you can see the shape of what the metal is supposed to be on this truck. Some of these turds, look like they're growing orange flora out of the metal.

These trucks clean up remarkably well. Spend some time, drop the spare, remove the skids, buy a bunch of beer and some different size wire wheels + POR15. Eastwood makes an inner frame coating as well. Brush/flood the frame out and seal everything up once dry.

For us east coast folks, rust is inevitable. We need to fight it as best we can. Brush, paint, and coat (fluid film) annually and be happy its not daily...

I wouldn’t put any money into this, it looks really rough and then things you dont necessarily see will start falling apart... Bushings, brake lines, gas tank. I went down this rabbit hole and learned a valuable lesson. Keep away from the rust.

I don't see much of an issue. I know some of our brethren here don't want a spec of rust anywhere but if you live in MI, it is just part of life.
The best option would be to have someone media blast the underside and then spray the POR-15 as best as they can, finish with a coat of Cosmoline RP-342. The whole exercise should cost only a weekend and about $600 to $700.

Or go to town with a wire wheel on a grinder and paint.

You already own it, what are your plans for it anyways?

For the record, I happen to be in Michigan as well. I also fix what is broken and not what might break.

What is the concern with the rust? Safety? Future maintenance? Physical appearance? Based on what I can see that rig has a LOT of life left in it.

For the record, I happen to be in Michigan as well. I also fix what is broken and not what might break.

What is the concern with the rust? Safety? Future maintenance? Physical appearance? Based on what I can see that rig has a LOT of life left in it.
Mainly safety and longevity. Hoping I can take it up north camping with my kids and not worry. Would also like it to last a few years as well. Want to ensure if I baseline it’s and add some new tires I won’t be kicking myself a year later if the frame rots away.

Not that bad if you ask me. For a Michigan vehicle I'd expect worse... My 98 LC from looked a little better but not that much. I hit mine with 1. wire wheel 2. particularly rusty spots with rustbullet 3. followed by flat black rustoleum in the harder to reach spots 4. followed by black colored woolwax. I'll probably repeat the woolwax every year or so. Wrenching on it can certainly be a pain since bolts regularly brake but that is what comes with the territory. The parking brake assembly needed rebuilding due to rust and I replaced the brake lines out of an abundance of caution however in retrospect after cutting the brake lines in half at the rusty areas I can see that the rust was really only on the surface.

I just bought a 99 in ohio that looked similar underneath. I went over the frame pretty thoroughly with a wire wheel and a rust remover wheel on my grinder. In the end, the frame and crossmembers looked good. A couple of the plates - tank protector, front skid, few others were pretty bad. I then went over it with POR-15 on the exposed areas and fluid film inside the frame, hard to reach areas. I was pretty pleased with the results. On mine, the worst area was where the front fenders attach to the body near the running boards. That portion of the fender was gone. I dumped the running boards and replaced the fenders. Clean it up and drive it into the ground.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom