Another RTT on factory side rails (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Zooguy

SILVER Star
Threads
Okay first things first I've spent 3 hours reading through all the previously posted threads regarding 100 series Lane cruisers rooftop tents and factory racks.

I don't need this thread cluttered with people saying don't do it without any proof to back up their reasoning. I want to hear specifically from people who have ran rooftop tents on the factory equipment successfully.

Before you comment saying don't do it it will break please make sure to post pictures of your failed factory components. Without any kind of proof of your first hand experience your statements are meaningless.

I know this might be beating a dead horse so if the moderators/administrators want to remove it feel free and just let me know.

iKamper skycamp (full size)
Loaded with:
  • 2 pillows
  • 2 0* degree bags
  • knockoff expad megamat duo
  • knockoff expad megamat single

I traveled and camped for only 1 week with my tent on the factory rack and factory crossbars with no "problems". I did have a concern with the amount of bouncing the tent did on the factory crossbars. The bouncing wasn't terrible and you can ignore it after closing the sunroof shade. Total weight of persons inside tent... I think about 350lbs.

I installed a pair of Yakima rail grabber crossbars after that. Still on the factory side rails. My reasons for the Yakima bars were due to the bouncing and also to make installation/removal of the tent easier. I traveled about 2100 miles and camped for 14 nights with this setup. Again I think around 350 lbs of persons in the tent.
No Problems to report here.

Edit: grammar confusion

If you've spent 3 hours reading through the other threads, you can always add to them and keep the info in one place vs. starting a new thread. Here's two of them with plenty of real life examples and pics.

1687007158908.png

I ran my ARB Simpson II on my factory side rails with zero issues. I ran with it on road, off road, and daily use and it was fine. No components showed any extra wear and tear, and that RTT is pretty heavy.

I’ve been running my Tepui Autana 3 on the stock load bars for years with no issues and have run quite a few back country and off-road trip with that set up with zero issue.

I have since added a set of Thule load bars with the universal adapter to connect it to the stock primary rack since i had them already and it makes on/off a lot easier.

Could something go wrong with the stock load bars, yeah sure, something could always go wrong but I haven’t had a single problem yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom