Another Rate This Rust Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking at this ‘16 from IA. Some average rust on the welds. LCAs have some patches of rust. KDSS valve scares me but I’m from the south and have never tried to turn those nuts with rust on them. Could it be ok? I’d like to get some pics with the cover off. It’s at a Lexus dealership, but there’s no way in hell I’m asking them to give those bolts a few turns.

For those that have moved from a rust belt state to the south, does the rust continue to fester or does it stymie the progression? Could you just give the messy spots hell with a wire brush and seal/lube them up?

It’s priced nicely for this market and could be a diamond in the rough.

Thanks guys.

8F6B6000-DE24-47FF-B586-267D84079DB3.jpeg

313F3818-0C4B-43D7-9D3A-C1E68B43C6B6.jpeg

F78303D6-4536-4131-8720-0A147253BC84.jpeg

B1B9D78A-DB7C-477A-9B40-5F308F4DD2F3.jpeg

64F7B434-A0C2-44E0-9445-5A317E218666.jpeg

That kdss doesn’t look half bad, looks like you can get an Allen wrench in there clean. Would need to hit it with some penetrant for a while to loosen the threads. ok to me. Rust is relative. I’m comparing it to my 08 in the northeast. My kdss you can’t even get a Allen key in there.

I’m currently doing some rust treatment (POR-15) and honestly my frame looks similar to this example. Just rust in the welds. My lower control arms have no paint left though.

That rust would not prevent me from a purchase.

Looks still pretty fine. As long as you sills are not rusty you wobt have problems in the next years even if you don’t take care about anything

What rust? But seriously, it’s in ok shape and the rust won’t give you any unusual problems. Those KDSS screws will be a pain, but that’s par.

I wonder about the oil marks around each of the engine undercover holes. It’s very likely the result of sloppy oil changes, but it might be something to doublecheck.

If you spray that down with woolwax or fluidfilm you should arrest any additional rust if you stay away from salt. It will penetrate the limited rust that's there plus you can coat the inside of the frame boxes too. If you are feeling ambitious, hit it with a wire brush before applying for that like-new look.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom