Another rant about Pit Bulls and the people that own them

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by sisukid1975, Aug 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sisukid1975

sisukid1975

My wife and I took out Great Dane Emma to a park today. As per the sign at the park, our dog was leashed.

These white people who acted like "gangstas" pulled into the parking lot in a 4Runner and started to get out and let their pitbull loose. Not by accident mind you...

Their dog charged my wife, which made our Dane go into protective mode, which is natural for a dog whose "mom" is getting charged by a strange dog, and whose ancestors were bred as Roman War dogs and to protect their masters.

In the matter of a few seconds, our dane had the pit bull pinned on the ground with her jaws around the pit's spinal cord at the base of the skull... Most of the pit's skull was in my dog's mouth. My dog then applied pressure, the pit yelped, broke free and ran into the woods.

The owner of said pit bull then proceeded to yell at me for "not keeping my dog under control." My dog was the one who was on the leash! HIS WAS NOT! He then started ranting and raving that if "that dog hurt mine, I'm gonna call the po-lice and have your dog put down."

I told him I have a 9MM in the car, and that if his dog approaches us again, I'll put it down myself, no need to call the po-lice.

We then got in the car and left before the situation escalated. We drove to the Sheriff's substation nearby and reported the incident. The deputy told us to go home, and he'd go to the park and check it out.

The gall of this ignorant fawker accusing my leashed dog of being out of control, when his was running loose! My dog turned to see some strange dog charging his owner, WTF do you think would happen?

This only to me reinforces the idea that people who own pit bulls are usually not the brightest crayons in the box...

I think they were morons to begin with, but the fact that their pit just got his ass kicked by a Female Great Dane and ran off yelping into the woods like a coward only made them more agressive.

Fawking idiots.... I don't know that the "pit bull problem" is so much a problem with the dogs as it is the demographic that owns them.

Fred

2. sisukid1975

sisukid1975

And the odd thing is, our Fawn female dane is very sweet, and socializes well with other dogs. It's the male harlequin who comes off as more agressive... So why would Emma charge a dog like that when she has no history of any such thing?

Fred

3. stinkyfj60

stinkyfj60

Its the owners who dont take responibility. Dont blame the dog, if the same people owned a Rott you would have had the same problem..

4. IDave

IDave

Media:
    Albums:
    Yup, morons for sure. Ya kain't lern some folks anythin'.

Glad everyone came out of it in one piece. I hate those situations. You handled it well by leaving.

5. TJDIV

TJDIV Back in The U.P.

Media:
    Albums:
    Pit Bulls don't kill 12 year olds.....bad mommy's do.

6. Kanab

Kanab

Fred you are upset for good reason. It is not the Pit's fault and you are way out of line generalizing about anyone that owns a certain type/breed of dog being assholes. Next time don't tell anyone you have a gun in your car or you will end up in prison. All they have to say is "YOU" threatened them with a weapon and the cops find a 9mm in your vehicle and you will be charged and convicted of assault with a deadly weapon, and your wife as a witness won't buy you crap. Personally I have a problem with people that carry guns in their cars and then threaten others with said weapon. Weapons are there for your self defense not for braggin rights.

PS- If he really was a bad guy and you threaten violence, he might of killed you and your wife before you ever got to your weapon. Good rule in the future (Think then speak) The guy was in the wrong, then you were in the wrong big time.

7. cruiser4life

cruiser4life

While I agree it starts with owners taking responsibility, not sure I see the connection in the Rott reference... :confused:

You're kind of contacting yourself aren't you? If the owners are complete tards who shun responsibility and can't control their dog off leash, why is the breed pertinent?

8. sisukid1975

sisukid1975

Like I said, my dog has NEVER done anything like that before with any other kind of dog. I'm thinking she did it this time because she sensed agression. She has socialized at the dog park with dogs of all size and color and their owners. I think something about this particular dog had her on guard. It's all I can think of.

Maybe my dog hates pit bulls, too? In that case I ought to get her an account here at MUD and she can join in the fray.

Fred

9. sisukid1975

sisukid1975

I didn't threaten his life. I told him to keep his animal under control, or I would do so on a permanent basis.

And these were the kind of people who want you to think they're bad assed, but they ain't. The baggy clothes, talking in ebonics even though they are white as a sheet... give me a break. :rolleyes:

These were the kind of people that once they know you're not impressed by them, they sulk off and talk about how NEXT TIME they see you, they're gonna kick your ass.

Oh, did I forget to mention the bikers that were there, just adoring our dog (and my wife) just seconds before? I had quite enough witnesses and backup if necessary, thank you.

10. Gumby

Gumby Supamod Staff Member s-Moderator

Love Danes. Dislike pits and the majority of people that own them. If you own a dog to show people you are a bad ass, then you deserve to have people make first impression judgements of you.

11. 3pits

3pits

my pits are socialized too, and would not do that, matter of fact hey are never off leash unless they are on my 47 acres and then they still have a leash on them, and are under strict voice control,, if they can ignore a miniture pygmy goat butting them in the ass or face and not go nutz then they are under my control,, they know commands in 3 languages, hand signals and foot signals,,,

so you hate pits? what if a pit saved your life would you still hate the breed?

it is not the breed but the a-hole that ruins it!
    dont be a generalized hater

I got friends that rescue danes and they are nuts, crazy biting jumping, etc, I dont hate all danes,,,,

your dog did right by protecting you and your wife,,, of course the other dog put out an attack look,,, that is why she did her job,, and I am glad she did it,,

the gun reference ,, might want to think that thru next time,,, it might get you killed or in jail, if the other guy is a real "gansgsta",,,

reguardless of the breed the owner should not have let thier dog loose

12. IDave

IDave

Media:
    Albums:
    I kinda agree with Kanab about not mentioning the gun. Just saying it might have accelerated things, and if you couldn't put your hands on it before they pulled their own (you never know)....well, you see where that could go.

13. sisukid1975

sisukid1975

Yeah, in retrospect i do see where you guys are coming from on that, but passions running high I guess you say s*** you later think back on..

POint taken.

Fred

14. White Shark

White Shark

Media:
    Albums:
    I wouldn't have waited for the Dane to back off and release. I would have let the Dane kill the pit. I don't think that there's a court out there that would have ruled against self defense. One less aggressive pit makes the world a safer place. A Dane on leash would likely be ruled as under control as compared to an off leash anything else, much less a pit. In fact I'd have probably encouraged the Dane by kicking the pit in the nuts to stir him up a bit to encourage the Dane to do his job effectively. :D

15. PolterGeist

PolterGeist

Why the hell can't he blame the dog!? It was the DOG who ran toward his wife in a manner which caused his allegedly well behaved Great Dane to take a defensive attitude with the other animal. Why can't he blame the dog? The dog is the one who did this. And he didn't have a problem with a Rottweiler, or a Labrador, or a Beagle, or a Cocker Spaniel. It was a Pit Bull.

And it was clearly a Pit Bull who has problems with uninhibited aggression, as I don't think, generally speaking, any of the other above referenced dogs would be STUPID enough to take an aggressive posture with a woman accompanied by an animal twice it's size, weight and strength.

His Great Dane purportedly has not had any aggression issues with other dogs. I'm inclined to believe him, since I think most dogs are smart enough not to trifle with such a powerful animal. And I believe SisuKid is absolutely correct in his rationalization for his dog's behaiviour: His dog most likely got a bad vibe, either based on body language or some other canine sublety, and decided to defend.

Yes, it is the Pits fault! This dog clearly has problems. Why do you feel it so necessary to defend the actions of, and make excuses for, a dog you don't know? Something tells me that if someone on this board reported a similar incident involving a Great Dane as the aggressor, SisuKid most likely would not feel this deep compulsion to defend the reputation of a dog he does not know. These are the actions of someone who *has* something to apologize for, and something to defend against.

By the way, a****** is your word. I didn't see it in any of SisuKid's posts.

Kudos to you-- as true or untrue as this may be, you've done a superb job of detracting from the original subject of the post and turning it into another issue altogether. Even better that you have managed to do so while calling question to the original victim! Again, seems to be the actions of someone who doesn't want a certain topic discussed.

Whatever gave you that idea? I know, it was this quote:

"This only to me reinforces the idea that people who own pit bulls are usually not the brightest crayons in the box..."

or

"Fawking idiots.... I don't know that the "pit bull problem" is so much a problem with the dogs as it is the demographic that owns them."

Right? These are clearly quotes from someone who has a vehement hatred of the Pit Bull breed. This reminds me of the episode of COPS that I saw one time, when a guy got caught red handed trying to mug someone and claimed he was being framed cause the cops were racist and didn't like him. The fact he was caught on tape doing it was of no consequence whatsoever.

Yes, be a generalized apoligist instead! But of course if you don't have anything to apologize for...

OK, I've begun to notice a pattern here. Pit bulls seem to be responsible for more than their fair share of "problems." I see it where I live. Others see it where they live.

Is it a dog problem? Maybe.

Is it a demographic problem? Certainly.

Either way, whether it's a problem with the breed, or a problem with the demographic or general socio-economic background of the most common owners, THERE IS A PROBLEM WITH PIT BULLS. Choose the problem as you see it and address it, but don't be a blanket apologist.

If it's a dog problem, get rid of the dog. If it's a demographic problem, fix the demographic. If you can't fix the demographic, get rid of the dog, cause either way you slice it, these animals are dangerous. Whether it's by their own virtue or that of another is not of consequence.

There's an old anecdote about the differences in American Companies and Japanese ones: If something goes wrong at an American company, they spend their time finding who is to blame and blaming them. If something goes wrong at a Japanese company, they fix it.

It's summed up well by something my dad, a former Marine officer used to say:

"I don't care whose fault it is, just fix it."

Thank you! Well done, and great point. If it's the owners and not the breed, why does the breed matter???? Someone get cruiser4life a beer, I'm paying.

And here's another novel concept inspired by cruiser4life's poignant statement in the fallacy of the owner vs. breed argument:

Maybe it's BOTH?

You know, Like H2s? Is the problem with H2s the fact that they are junk, or with the idiots that buy them? Well, it would seem one lends credibility to the other.

And where the hell is WhiteShark when you need him? I thought he could smell a pit bull thread a mile away? I really don't like doing his job for him. :)

Steve

16. PolterGeist

PolterGeist

Oh, there you are.

Steve

17. 89s rule

89s rule

PolterGeist -
    you sound like a news reporter taking quotes out of context. Basically what 3pits was stating was dont blame a breed as a whole.

I understand blaming the dog. And there are plenty of bad dog owners in general. I am not a big fan of most of the people attracted to the pit bull breed, but there are lots of great breeders and owners of pit bulls. Also please research pit bulls and the misunderstanding that they get because of their reputation. Many "pit bulls" in the news are not pit bulls, just generalized as such b/c they have a bad rap.

Yes I do own 2 pits and would not trade the world for them. They have never shown any type of agression towards people.

I wish people would have a more open mind and actually know some facts b/f they fly off the handle on here. I try my best to usually not cimment on pit threads on here for this very reason, but then again most of the USA has the type of though process anyway. ,Oh well that is just another thing that shows us where our country is goin gto the crapper.

18. Kanab

Kanab

Fred, I'm on your side about the dog owner being in the wrong and glad to see you understand the gun thing. I wasn't there and you were but my gun is there to save my life not to threaten any other life. If you noticed that in this stressfull encounter you could not control your actions or felt you were ready to take further action you might rethink carrying a gun in your car or on your person.

19. erics_bruisers

erics_bruisers

I'm glad no-one was hurt, and I love my dogs dearly.

I am also glad to live in an area that doesn't restrict my breed ownership by laws and restrictions --

-- glad everything worked out okay --

eric

20. 3pits

3pits

poltergeist,, post #8, he says "so I guess my dog hates pits too" that is where I got the idea he hates pits,,,

second, being a "general apoligist"? in this case the dog was dog agressive, not human agressive, I dont understand the argument,,, here,,, actually this just goes to show that all pits are not human killers as so many people here want you to believe, the pit did not go for the humans, did not (from reports) go off afterwards and kill a child,,, but went after a dog!
    in this case I still believe the owners are at fault (pit owners) the dog is dog agressive not human aggresive, and the owners are asshast for doing what they did (having a dog aggressive dog off leash in a public place)

there are 2 different arguments here on the board some want you to believe all pits are nothing but human killers and nothing more, others believe differently, and now the one about a pit being dog agressive, must be all bad too,, poltergiest is saying a dog aggressive dog is human aggressive and that is not the truth not a fact, but opinion!

dog agressive dogs and human aggresive dogs are 2 different mentalities,,people here are muddling the 2 from different threads

this thread is about a pit bull being dog aggressive and the owners of said pit being irresponsible asshats! no where in the opening thread did I read the pit was human aggressive

I too am glad no one or no animal was hurt (look for a post from me later--not pit related- dead animal related!)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.