Another Quick Fix Question (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

BreckenridgeCruiser

I break things.
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
teqtach.com
So, I have decided to use a head gasket sealer while waiting until winter to do my rebuild on my engine. But I also have a rear main leak and the company I found that makes a good HG sealer also makes an oil seal conditioner

It's called a Rear Main Sealer and when I called, they said the formula conditions seals and causes them to resoften and therefore seal where before they were leaking.

I have no problem using this, but while I am going to rebuild my entire engine, I wasn't planning on rebuilding the turbo on my engine.

So, at the end of this diatribe, does anyone know more about the way these sealers work and if I run it for the summer, should I redo the seals in my turbo when I rebuild my engine this winter?

More info on the products are available here:
USA Sealants | Formerly Universal Products Stops Leaks in Engine

Which HG sealer are you trying? (Yellow or white bottle?) I tried three different brands including the Blue Devil yellow bottle, none of them worked. Most will not work on high compression diesel engines, especially turbocharged ones. I called tech support for a different product to ask if there were any special precautions or instructions for diesels since none were mentioned on the packaging. The response I got from the guy was "good luck". Seriously, that's what the tech told me. My leak was to the cooling system. If your HG leak is different you may have better luck.

If your leak is to the cooling system, I was told that running a higher pressure radiator cap will help the product seal better.

To answer your question about turbo seals, I don't think you will have a problem. The turbo seals are made out of a different high temp material than your crank seal.

I was going to use the yellow label one. I heard that if you run the product with no antifreeze and run it for awhile and let it set up, it should do the trick... It may not be permanent, but if it lats the summer, that's all I need. Also, I have a friend that ran this in his diesel and it worked so maybe it depends on the type of leak. Mine is a coolant leak where I have pressure building in the coolant system at moderate RPM.

That's the same kind of problem I had. I ended up replacing the head gasket to fix it but I'm having similar troubles again after driving from Maine to Baja and back.

New HG is planned for the 3B when it goes in. I just want to get the 2B to last through the topless months!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom