Another Prinsu Roof Rack mount option (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

#92810A120 is the McMaster Carr part number for the wedge washers

Last edited:
5/16 - 18 stainless bolts, 4-1 1/2" long, 4-2" long, 8 stainless nuts and 8 star washers

I still don't like the bolt from the bottom though, and I'd rather have the anti corrosion protection of the stainless bolt. I believe the chances of the bolt ever failing, or at least being the first point of failure are less than zero.
thanks for your thread! Just ordered the leveling washers. The gutter clamp should be bolted from the top as it interferes with opening the damn door!
20170917_135500.jpg

Actually, I have since sold my roof rack to my sister and have something new in the works.

Hopefully soon,

Stay tuned ;)

Thanks for posting these solutions guys. I also have to agree with the assessment that the rack itself is great, but the mounting hardware is sheot. I'm in the process of inverting my bolts too as I have a door that does not clear one of the bolts. Emails to CBI for suggestions were not responded to. I would like to replace the hooks that clamp under the roof rails too. If you tighten much these start to bend because the metal is too weak.

Can anyone provide a parts list / upgrade for the mounting hardware? Rack itself is great but from reading this thread, mounting hardware has actually gotten worse….

E67CC622-AE0E-436B-8C38-17EAE2E0F69E.jpeg

Yep, my Prinsu rack is great also, if you're not counting the mounting hardware. I spoke to a Prinsu rep this fall at Overland West up in Loveland Colorado, and he said he would take that feedback back to the company. I haven't seen any updates on this, but this is definitely the Achilles heel of the rack, which is otherwise great.

Based on this thread, this has been an issue since 2016 and mine actually looks worse….I wouldn’t hold my breath that they are working a better solution on our platform.

Again, if anybody has an alternative solution to Prinsu’s supplied hardware, I’d appreciate it.

Can anyone provide a parts list / upgrade for the mounting hardware? Rack itself is great but from reading this thread, mounting hardware has actually gotten worse….

View attachment 3234665
I only have this clearance issue on the front 2 mounts - above the driver's and "shotgun" doors. The other 6 mounts are not above any doors. Just reverse the bolt. Head up, instead of down. Thread nut on bolt all the way to the top of bolt, to use as a locking nut. Fitting welded to gutter bracket becomes the bottom nut and eliminates clearance issue for front 2 mounts.

As shown from a previous pic in this thread:
Courtesy of @SupraTuRD (Post #20)
img_4575-jpg.1345142

I only have this clearance issue on the front 2 mounts - above the driver's and "shotgun" doors. The other 6 mounts are not above any doors. Just reverse the bolt. Head up, instead of down. Thread nut on bolt all the way to the top of bolt, to use as a locking nut. Fitting welded to gutter bracket becomes the bottom nut and eliminates clearance issue for front 2 mounts.

As shown from a previous pic in this thread:
Courtesy of @SupraTuRD (Post #20)
img_4575-jpg.1345142
Sorry for pointing this out, but I think your rack may have the right/left sides swapped.
This happened to me when I first assembled it, and it looked like your picture. The bolts also didn't quite angle correctly like yours. Unfortunately, the instructions did NOT mention right and left sides, so I had 50/50 chance of getting it wrong. Lot of work and some scratches to the roof to redo it, but it was worth it. Fit much better the correct way.
The side rails angle in a bit, then go vertical. See picture below.
24379507-eee7-43e0-89af-93acd1578729-jpeg.2535978

Sorry for pointing this out, but I think your rack may have the right/left sides swapped.
This happened to me when I first assembled it, and it looked like your picture. The bolts also didn't quite angle correctly like yours. Unfortunately, the instructions did NOT mention right and left sides, so I had 50/50 chance of getting it wrong. Lot of work and some scratches to the roof to redo it, but it was worth it. Fit much better the correct way.
The side rails angle in a bit, then go vertical. See picture below.
24379507-eee7-43e0-89af-93acd1578729-jpeg.2535978
Your perception of the sides is correct - ) ( , not ( ). However, the pic in my post is not mine. I was using it as an example of gutter clamp hardware configuration. I agree that if the sides were assembled incorrectly, the gutter clamp issue that is being discussed would be even worse than it is. To be honest though, if the sides were incorrectly swapped, I don't see how you'd get them down in the gutters without tweaking the rack severely or loosening the crossbar bolts.

It's the clearance with the gutter clamp hardware and the door weather stripping that is the issue here. Reversing the bolt direction can fix this issue. And I noticed that I only have this issue with the front 2 mounts. My rack is aligned front to back, so the second from the front mount, is centered between front and rear doors. In this way, the other 6 mounts for the rack present no clearance issues with doors and/or weather stripping.

thumbnail_IMG_2134.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2135.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom