For Sale Another Price drop and update -1966 Proffitts Stage 3 resto, Cummins 4BT H55F, ARB - Sale or trade (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

For Sale or Trade: updated thread below, price drop to $39k

This is a Proffitt's cruisers Stage 3 frame off restoration of a 1966 FJ40 from a few years ago (EDIT: Now that we have hands on it, the most recent tire is 35th week of 2007, so lets say a late 2007-2008 build). 3500 miles since the rebuild. It is a Cummins 4BT swap. H55f 5 speed transmission with split case. ARB lockers front and rear. Spring over and shackle reversal lift. Full cage, Vintage Air AC system. Warn 8274. Updated seats, stereo, Dune Beige paint.

Truck is new to me, I acquired it in a trade for a Jeep LJ that I built over the past 2 years. I have a thread detailing the trade here Jeep LS-LJ/4BT FJ trade.

It is currently on its way from Toledo Ohio to my house in Maine via shipping transport. As discussed in the thread above, I am not convinced that this engine and SOA combo are what I would like to have long term. Since posting that thread, I have also found a 1967 FJ40 in original condition that I would like to do a patina-resto on. I don't really need 2 FJ40s in my life, as different as this one and the patina rig would be.

My plan was to get this truck to Maine and completely baseline it when I am up there in early October. It needs new tires, and I would likely replace the wheels with FJcruiser steelies. I would baseline all of the fluids, belts, and other small wear items for time, not mileage. AC needs a charge. It does not appear to have any other needs from my test drives and inspection. There is a single paint crack in the hood where the underside came in contact with the battery terminal that will need to be touched up, otherwise cosmetically it is clean.

All that said, I am going to offer this up and see if anyone is interested in the truck as it sits now. Decide on your own tire and wheel combo, do your own fluid baseline, etc. You can have the rack that I was planning to unload immediately. It would save me time and money on a rig I will realistically not keep long term.

I spoke with Jeremiah Proffitts and he confirmed that it is a stage 3 frame off from before the original Proffitt's folded its tent in 2013. It does have an aqualu tub, in my opinion a good thing as it's far from original anyway. It was stored winters in Toledo, so has no salt exposure or rust anywhere. These are the pictures I have for now, but I can get more when it arrives in Maine.

This is a good BAT candidate, but I'll offer it up here on Mud first. Price as it sits is $42k. Clean VA title in hand. This is substantially below what Jeremiah quoted as a retail price (60k, which I thought optimistic) and just above what he offered to buy it from me for. I'm open to reasonable discussion.

Even more, I am quite open to trades, as it's always fun to have something new. I now have the patina rig FJ40, so I am pretty set there. I would consider a rust free FJ45, Troopy, LV, Pig (as rust free as an LV or Pig can be) or 60 preferably closer to stock as partial trades. As I need a new wheeling rig, I am also very interested in partial trades for built 60s or 80s.. Rust free and turn key preferred. Tacoma or 4runners built considered. Other oddball stuff might strike me as interesting, it never hurts to ask.

Not in a hurry, but thought I would put it out there before I start sinking money into the truck. Thanks!

EDIT: thread has gotten long, here's an updated pic.
20191003_174253_HDR-L.jpg

20190901_122849_HDR-L.jpg

20190901_122909_HDR-L.jpg

20190901_122919_HDR-L.jpg

20190901_122926_HDR-L.jpg

20190901_122933_HDR-L.jpg

20190901_122828_HDR-L.jpg

20190901_122836_HDR-L.jpg

20190901_122944_HDR-L.jpg

20190901_122949_HDR-L.jpg

20190901_123007_HDR-L.jpg

20190901_123013_HDR-L.jpg

Resized_20190223_140949-L.jpg

20190901_124220_HDR-L.jpg

Last edited:
You mention a few years ago but curious when exactly was this restored by Proffitts

I don't know exactly. Ohio title was from 2012. Purchased from Florida at that time, and the owner I purchased from wasn't entirely sure. Jeremiah Proffitts was unsure as well, and he said unfortunately records from before the company restructuring are unavailable. He said he didn't remember this specific build just from pictures as they've done around 60 4BT swaps and Dune Beige is the most common color

That is a sweet truck. What are you asking for the sale? And my apologies if I missed that.

No worries, it was buried a bit toward the end.

$46k, open to reasonable discussion but not in a huge hurry as I haven't had a chance to play with it yet. Arrives in Maine tomorrow, but I don't arrive up there until the 28th. My brother gets to play with it in the interim.

IMG_1422-L.jpg

For Sale or Trade:

This is a Proffitt's cruisers Stage 3 frame off restoration of a 1966 FJ40 from a few years ago. 3500 miles since the rebuild. It is a Cummins 4BT swap. H55f 5 speed transmission with split case. ARB lockers front and rear. Spring over and shackle reversal lift. Full cage, Vintage Air AC system. Warn 8274. Updated seats, stereo, Dune Beige paint.

Truck is new to me, I acquired it in a trade for a Jeep LJ that I built over the past 2 years. I have a thread detailing the trade here Jeep LS-LJ/4BT FJ trade.

It is currently on its way from Toledo Ohio to my house in Maine via shipping transport. As discussed in the thread above, I am not convinced that this engine and SOA combo are what I would like to have long term. Since posting that thread, I have also found a 1967 FJ40 in original condition that I would like to do a patina-resto on. I don't really need 2 FJ40s in my life, as different as this one and the patina rig would be.

My plan was to get this truck to Maine and completely baseline it when I am up there in early October. It needs new tires, and I would likely replace the wheels with FJcruiser steelies. I would baseline all of the fluids, belts, and other small wear items for time, not mileage. AC needs a charge. It does not appear to have any other needs from my test drives and inspection. There is a single paint crack in the hood where the underside came in contact with the battery terminal that will need to be touched up, otherwise cosmetically it is clean.

All that said, I am going to offer this up and see if anyone is interested in the truck as it sits now. Decide on your own tire and wheel combo, do your own fluid baseline, etc. You can have the rack that I was planning to unload immediately. It would save me time and money on a rig I will realistically not keep long term.

I spoke with Jeremiah Proffitts and he confirmed that it is a stage 3 frame off from a few years ago. It does have an aqualu tub, in my opinion a good thing as it's far from original anyway. It was stored winters in Toledo, so has no salt exposure or rust anywhere. These are the pictures I have for now, but I can get more when it arrives in Maine.

This is a good BAT candidate, but I'll offer it up here on Mud first. Price as it sits is $46k. Clean VA title in hand. This is substantially below what Jeremiah quoted as a retail price (60k, which I thought optimistic) and just above what he offered to buy it from me for. I'm open to reasonable discussion.

Even more, I am quite open to trades, as it's always fun to have something new. I now have the patina rig FJ40, so I am pretty set there. I would consider a rust free FJ45, Troopy, LV, Pig (as rust free as an LV or Pig can be) or 60 preferably closer to stock as partial trades. As I need a new wheeling rig, I am also very interested in partial trades for built 60s or 80s.. Rust free and turn key preferred. Tacoma or 4runners built considered. Other oddball stuff might strike me as interesting, it never hurts to ask.

Not in a hurry, but thought I would put it out there before I start sinking money into the truck. Thanks!

20190901_122849_HDR-L.jpg

20190901_122909_HDR-L.jpg

20190901_122919_HDR-L.jpg

20190901_122926_HDR-L.jpg

20190901_122933_HDR-L.jpg

20190901_122828_HDR-L.jpg

20190901_122836_HDR-L.jpg

20190901_122944_HDR-L.jpg

20190901_122949_HDR-L.jpg

20190901_123007_HDR-L.jpg

20190901_123013_HDR-L.jpg

Resized_20190223_140949-L.jpg

20190901_124220_HDR-L.jpg

Thanks Onur, I didn't know when that all went down, and JP didn't seem very enthused about discussing it when I spoke with him. Now that we have hands on it, the most recent tire is 35th week of 2007, so lets say a late 2007-2008 build. Post edited above. Now that it's in Maine, we're looking it over for what it needs as a baseline. All fluids, belts obviously. The second battery may have been added after the build, and my brother the boat builder who wires high end sailboats so they don't burn to the water line will be doing some clean up there. As he said, some of it was making his OCD twitch, so that can't be passed along. I was waiting on wheels and tires, as those are so varied in what folks want, but I want a set of steel wheels and skinnies, so those will go on shortly. The roof rack is coming off and finding a new home somewhere. More to follow when I actually get up there.

My son took a couple of videos when we were there, but this site doesn't recognize them to load. Send me a PM with your contact info and I'll send them to you. I'll be up with the truck this weekend, will get some more video then and post

In other news, decided the tires and wheels had to go. Hard to find skinny tires in a big enough size. Good luck with Maxxis in the past being slightly larger than they are supposed to be. BFG notoriously smaller. Ordered up some 255/85 bighorns. Here they are next to the 35x12.5 old BFG
i-VsGKk45-L.jpg

i-4FbJnmw-L.jpg

Wheels are wheel ventique 16x7 from summit. Should mount without spacers, 4.0 inch backspacing and narrow tires.

That little plug in side step that utilizes the factory crossmember tube hole is genius....is that a good functional add on? location wise, is it actually in a good spot to help climb in?

That little plug in side step that utilizes the factory crossmember tube hole is genius....is that a good functional add on? location wise, is it actually in a good spot to help climb in?
So far, it is pretty useful. This thing is a tall beast.

Damn she don't look to have done many miles , why so many get things like this built and then never use them I will not understand.

Do you have some more pictures of the rear bar ?

3500 miles since the restoration. Not sure what you mean by the rear bar? Under tailgate or frame? It's an aqualu tub, so no rust and the frame is clean. It's been stored inside and seen no winters. I will be up with it on Sunday, plan to get more pics. Wheels and tires should be swapped out soon as well.

Rear Bar ie Rear Bumper with Swing away etc on it

Short version: price drop to $42k.

I'm up in Maine and finally had some time to drive this thing and look it over. Mechanically things are as they should be. Starts and runs well, the H55 is a great transmission. No issues there.

Cosmetically, there are some issues. The drivers door, the driver side panel on the hard top and the hood will need to be repainted. The hood appears to have been new, and also appears to have been sprayed directly with little or no prep. Small crack from the battery terminal impact is as above, but paint is lifting under the hood from the lack of prep. The hood will need to stripped and repainted. Small spot on the hard top appears to be focal and isolated, but the clear coat means the whole panel will need at least clear. Driver Door also appears to be better paint, but 2 spots mean it should come off and be done. The rest of the panels are in great shape.

The driver door also doesn't close as flush with the hard top and tub as it should. Pic below. Latch closes tightly, but it is out from the body a bit. May jut be adjustment, I haven't messed with it yet.

Electrical is fine, just not as tight a job as I would have done personally. Butt connectors in various places vs solder and heatshrink.

Interior looks great. Under the carpet is grey textured vortex liner. Frame and underside are pristine.

Ultimately, this is a great truck to actually use as it is built. With the stump pulling 4BT, ARBs, SOA, etc it is an extremely capable trail rig. It's also very presentable as it is, but has needs as above. It's not an icon or TLC, but it's not priced there either. It's a good quality 10 year old build that needs a minor refresh. I would prefer to let it go and allow someone else to do it as they see fit.

I took a bunch of high res pics, but need to get a card reader to load them up. Here are some cell phone pics, inclusive of the areas of concern.

20190930_162918-L.jpg

20190930_162908-L.jpg

20190930_162853-L.jpg

20190930_162952-L.jpg

20190930_162839_HDR-L.jpg

20190929_145046_HDR-L.jpg

Last edited:
Next couple days, need to get them over to a different shop for mounting. Still need to get the rack off as well. Been enjoying some early vacation days, the primary purpose for this trip:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom