ANOTHER power steering conversion question- pre '73

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Okay, I've been researching, asking lots of questions and gathering parts for months, and I'm almost ready to start my power steering conversion (60 box) on my '70, but I'm still stumped about one issue.

When I cut the steering shaft I'm obviously going to end up with a round rod instead of the nicely splined end found on '73 and later 40s. When I install a u-joint on it, and connect it to the intermediate shaft, what stops it from slipping/rotating? I realize I'm not being too clear, and I guess what I want to know is what are people using as the joint between the original steering column and intermediate shaft on early FJ40s?

I know that has to have been covered a hundred times, and maybe it's a mental block that's stopping me from finding the answer (yes, I searched!), but can someone who has done this explain to me how I'm supposed to do this!!!!

You weld it on...

Or D the end and bolt it on.

I would D and weld it. The slip could be on the other end or downstream...

heres a doorman, but there are many other types.
joint.jpg

Howdy! I used Borgeson double ujount on mine, and it works great. One end was splined for my Saginaw box, and the other was smooth bore. I drilled a 1/4 inch hole thru the shaft and ujount, then pinned it with a 1/4" dowl pin. I tack welded the pin on both ends and then a little tack at 90 degrees from that, just so I can always see if there is any fatigue/failure on the joint. I have done two setups like this, and it works great. 16 years of desert and rocks, no problem. Borgeson website has about a bazillion different sizes and shapes. You should be able to match up what you need. John

My guess is that Inkpots method is probably ok because it has been successful for him for quite some time. We always have you fully weld the upper u-joint to the Toyota shaft because we are afraid that some installers will use the "drill and pin method", but get over-zealous with their drilling diameter and end up with too little shaft remaining??

My guess is that Inkpots method is probably ok because it has been successful for him for quite some time. We always have you fully weld the upper u-joint to the Toyota shaft because we are afraid that some installers will use the "drill and pin method", but get over-zealous with their drilling diameter and end up with too little shaft remaining??
Howdy! Usually I over weld most of my work. But in this case, I was afraid of melting all the grease out of the ujoint bearings. If you think about it, unless you loose hydraulic power in the steering system, it actually takes one finger worth of effort to rotate the steering input. Not much stress on that. Some suppliers (Summit Racing?) recommend not welding on these at all. John

Thanks for all of the information. Now that I know what to look for, I have a couple of questions:

(1) What is the diameter of the stock pre-'73 steering shaft?

(2) What is the diameter and spline count of a 60 shaft?

(3) Where can I buy Doorman or Borgeson u-joints online?

Also, if I weld the u-joint to the shaft, what do I do if I need to tear it down? Filing a "D" flat into the shaft seems to make a lot more sense to me, but that's just a hunch- what are the pros and cons?

Thanks,
Brian

you can just unbolt the steering column from the rig and pull the whole thing out. once you have unbolted it from the steering box ,i fully welded mine on . ,but i did take the ujoint apart first

Thanks for all of the information. Now that I know what to look for, I have a couple of questions:

(1) What is the diameter of the stock pre-'73 steering shaft?

(2) What is the diameter and spline count of a 60 shaft?

(3) Where can I buy Doorman or Borgeson u-joints online?

C'mon, someone help a brother out with some spec's!

It's pretty big on the early columns as it's all one piece. See pic. If i can possibly remember I will measure the one in the pic tonight....

And yes, that is natural cast iron in the photo not paint or powder coat. It's what cast looks like with no rust on it...
P2120016.jpg

C'mon, someone help a brother out with some spec's!
(a) Stock 1973 shaft should be 19mm (.050 larger than 3/4")
(b) Don't have a clue what the FJ60 shaft measures.
(c) You can buy joints from us, or look on e-bay for even better deals!!

(a) Stock 1973 shaft should be 19mm (.050 larger than 3/4")
(b) Don't have a clue what the FJ60 shaft measures.

Found the answer, and thought I'd post it up if anyone else is looking: the input shaft on a 60 steering box is 17.5mm x 36 splines. Wildwood offers u-joints in this size, or you can use a 11/16 - 36 u-joint (.001 smaller) which is a stock item from Borgeson.

What's really cool is the Wildwood offers u-joints that are made to be welded on. I don't know if I would do that with a Borgeson u-joint, as I would be afraid I would burn all of the grease out of the sealed needle bearings.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom