Another PHH done, Thanks (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well last week after some trail running I noticed a weird sound from under my hood. Turned out my radiator was boiling. I checked the fluid and it was fine but brown so I thought it was time for a flush. I've never done it before but thanks to the write ups here I felt I should try. I also have been putting off my PHH even though the silicone replacement has been sitting for months.

First I drained everything and took off my DS tire to locate the hose. Looking at it I didn't see what all the fuss was about. I soon learned. I'm about 1/2 :banana: guy so when it took me about an hour and a half to finally get it I didn't feel too bad. The write ups here saved me. I only removed the dip stick bolts and have very bruised arms to show for it. I cut the pin bracket off and used locking pliers to get the other one. I then pulled the pipe about 1/2 inch down to get the new one on. With some KY it finally got on there. I guess I'm :banana: now.

Next I did the flush with the Prestone kit. First I installed the tee in the wrong hose that goes back to the radiator. Oh well back to 1/2 :banana: statues. Then I followed instructions to complete the flush. I had a lot of sludge come out. Thanks PO :flipoff2: . The flush did help but I could see a lot left at the top of the radiator. I guess I'll be getting a new one when funds allow.

Anyway just wanted to say thanks for everyone's help here. And to tell new guys to starts tackling some maintenance on there own. I am still learning but have a new since of pride after completing something never done before. Tomorrow, time to rebuild some brakes, we'll see.:beer:

disposal

How did you dispose of your old coolant?

Call or PM Cruiserdan and order a fan clutch for your truck. Mine ran warm in the mountains last summer, and it was because the clutch wasnt engaging the fan at slower speeds. It will be the best $130.00 you'll spend.

If when you decide to purchase a radiator, go ahead and get the 93 rad from CDan. Its brass, and should last a lot longer than the 97 rad.

Congrats on the banana status. I did everything but my PHH(silicone kit sittin in the truck for months too). That will be done very very soon.

How hard is it to do the fan clutch? I DL'ed the FSM but didn't really see too much about it in there. Good advise on the rad, I think the 94's are cheaper too.

How hard is it to do the fan clutch? I DL'ed the FSM but didn't really see too much about it in there. Good advise on the rad, I think the 94's are cheaper too.

It's really easy. First remove the fan shroud, 2 bolts. There are 4 nuts holding the clutch on. You dont need to losen the alternator belt. You may need to put a socket on the alternator bolt in order to hold the fan in place to get enough torque to losen the 4 nuts. Then you unbolt the fan from the old clutch and bolt to the new clutch.

4 nuts to remove the clutch from the crank. some nuts to remove the fan from the clutch, reverse installation process.

Should take less than 30-45 mins if the engine is cold.

Make sure you hit the nuts with PB Blaster.

Cut a piece of cardboard to fit the radiator. This keeps skin on the knuckles, and protects the radiator.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom