Another One!... 1994 FZJ80 LS/4L60E Swap (Budget, Hopefully) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

BTW, I've been working to get rid of drone for a while now. I lined the whole interior with butyl mat and some in the doors and in the rear quarters. Then laid some mass load mat front to rear, then a little thin bit of foam and all the carpet back on. I also bought a roll of 3M sound deadening stuff that looks like insulation batting. It helped a little, but not nearly enough. I don't know what this truck sounds like with a stock exhaust from Toyota, but when I got it the whole exhaust was rotten. So it's got a Magna flow down pipe with cat, a second manga flow cat and after-market OEM replacement exhaust to the rear and it still droned like an SOB. Just recently I was thinking about what someone said and thought I'd followed, but realized I didn't do enough. They said the biggest different they experienced was the 3M sound deadening in the rear quarters. So I pulled out the rest of the roll and proceeded to pack the passenger rear quarter and tail gate with as much of that crap as I could fit in there. Now I definitely see a difference. In fact some days I forget about the exhaust altogether. Which is something because it was so annoying before there was no forgetting it. Now I can listen to the radio at a normal volume or carry on a conversation like a normal person.

This is the stuff Amazon product ASIN B074XLJ4Q1
That is an awesome tip! I used some NVX sound deadining and it definitely helpd, but the drone is crazy! I'll try this too. Thanks!!

Nice write up. Thanks for posting. Makes me really want to do the swap. Started a LS swap on my 79 IH Scout/ Traveler, but then sold the project this past August. I can see doing a swap on the cheap as my 5.3/4L60E running combo was only CAN$1700, a NP41C t-case was only $350, and I fabbed up my own engine mounts and trans support crossmember. It’s the wiring that would scare me, but seems there is plenty enough info out there on LS swaps to get it done without too much heartache.
That IH Scout sounds awesome! I'd love to do one of those some day.

I had virtually zero wiring experience before this, if that helps it seem less daunting! I highly recommend getting a power probe (or the Kyzee knock off one from Amazon that I have). It's a game changer once you know how to use it!

Lauren, Here's the walk-around video we did at SAS 7. Great to meet you and awesome truck!

Last edited:
Lauren, Here's the walk-around video we did at SAS 7. Great to meet you and awesome truck!

Thanks! It was great to meet you too and super fun to do the walk through! Hopefully I get to wheel with you next year!

I was camped right across from you at SAS.
Nice meeting you, wish I would have known to check out your swap !!
The week went by so fast.

Great job on the swap !!

Any pics from Moab?😁
We didn't end up getting out to Moab! We hung around Ouray a few days longer. It was a blast! It was awesome meeting you and seeing your swap! Hope you guys had a good trip back.

what radiator hose is this and the piece off the throttle body, if you don't mind?
It's a cut up upper radiator hose from a 2017 Silverado. The piece off the throttle body is just a tight 90. I can't quite remember no, but I think I got it off Amazon :)

I was camped right across from you at SAS.
Nice meeting you, wish I would have known to check out your swap !!
The week went by so fast.

Great job on the swap !!
It was good meeting you! Loved the bar work on your truck! The week went by too fast! We will have to catch up more next year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom