another oil thred... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm getting ready to change my oil, so I do a few searched to see what everyone is using. One guy post the part number for the JAP spec Denso filter.

This is the first I found
http://l-tunedparts.com/product/?id=2217
$16 for the filter, seems a but pricey

Shortly after I found this site
http://www.toyotapartszone.com/onli...spx?previousURL=(/?t=w|q=90915-20004|p=1|b=1)
$3 a filter, more like it. But they still want $12 bucks for shipping.

Do they not stock these filters at the dealers?

There is a guy named CDan on here and at least one other that give nice MUD discounts on Toyota parts.

There are plenty of aftermarket filters that are as good as OEM, some may even have a higher debris capacity for running longer oil change intervals w/ synthetic oils. Just something to think about.

Try Sam Stewart here on Mud, he does free shipping on most orders.

NAPA Gold 1516 or Mobil 1 M1-209.

Best bang for my bucks is the NAPA half-off filter sale they have twice a year, usually in Feb. and Dec.

Don't forget the oil pan drain plug sealing washers at your local dealer.

hth

Steve

Last edited:
NAPA Gold 1516.

Best bang for my bucks is the NAPA half-off filter sale they have twice a year, usually in Feb. and Dec.

You can buy these and other Napa branded Wix filters at Fleetfilter dot com at a substantial discount. I buy in bulk since I have two 100 series.

Oil (standard size) 51348 $4.03 ea.
Oil (larger) 51516 $4.03 ea.

Plus $9 shipping. I usually order air filters too at $9.52 ea.

Last edited:
You can buy these and other Napa branded Wix filters at Fleetfilter dot com at a substantial discount. I buy in bulk since I have two 100 series.

Oil (standard size) 51348 $4.03 ea.
Oil (larger) 51516 $4.03 ea.

Plus $9 shipping. I usually order air filters too at $9.52 ea.
Prices I paid last time, rounded up to the nearest dollar, were...

Oil filter, NAPA Gold 1516 $ 3.00
Air filter 2476 8.00
Fuel filter 3526 9.00

That purchase also included filters for a Kubota tractor, Dodge Cummins, and Suburban driven by :princess:. Ended up spending $95.00 for $195.00 worth of stuff at normal prices.

I will check Fleetfilter next time and I appreciate the link.

Steve

hks3sgte said:
Toyota PN 90915-20004

Don't know if they are discontinued, though.

I bought a crap-load of them a few years ago.

I just bought 3 from American Toyota in ABQ, they have these in stock. About $8 a pop with the mud discount.

I would not run an Amsoil filter. We have replaced two motors on 80 series trucks where the filter failed. Amspil paid for both. We did not install the filters. It was the customers that did.

Christo

Last edited:
I would not run an Amsoil filter. We have replaced two motors on 80 series trucks where the filter failed. Amspil paid for both. We did not install the filters. If was the customers that did.

Christo

I believe Amsoil has a few different filter lines, do you know which one specifically it was? I've been using their 15K filter (EA15K-51) on my '99 and change the oil every 6K miles or so. The specs on these look pretty good, and I don't push any big mileage limits on it, either.

I believe Amsoil has a few different filter lines, do you know which one specifically it was? I've been using their 15K filter (EA15K-51) on my '99 and change the oil every 6K miles or so. The specs on these look pretty good, and I don't push any big mileage limits on it, either.

I do not believe I have the records. In both cases, the bypass failed and the motors (1FZFE) lost oil pressure and damaged the bearings. The owners of the trucks dealt with Amsoil on the warrantee. We just did the R&R on the motors.

However on the one truck we were asked to diagnose the low oil pressure. When the truck started, the oil pressure would spike, then fall. We tested everything in the system, included new oil pressure regulator, oil pump etc etc. Finally changed the filter to a Toyota filter and the symptoms were gone. Except by this time the bearings were already damaged and analysis confirmed this. The owner dealt with Amsoil and they ended up paying for the new motor.

That specific filter might have been replaced with a different model. However those two experiences were enough to reinforce our believe to only use parts that was designed by Toyota.

Does the 80 not have a oil pressure gauge or at least a warning light? Trying to figure out how the pressure drop would not have been immediately evident.

Regardless, interesting comment about the 'only parts designed by Toyota'. As had been said before, an oil filter and a main bearing cost about the same, one is just a little more hard to replace than the other.

90915-20004 filters are available through CDan or myself.

You will also need 90430-12031 drain plug gasket.

With discount, out the door for about $10.

With regard to oil filters and their change interval when using synthetic oil...

I had a lengthy conversation with a fellow who owns a few Grease Monkey oil change franchises. He attended a three day seminar on oil and oil filtration and told me that if you intend on extended oil filter change intervals when using synthetic oils, you should use a filter with synthetic filter media.

He said typical oil filter media will start to break down at 4,000-4,500 miles and he specifically recommended Mobil 1 filters because of their synthetic filter media.

It was a very interesting conversation as he got into pretty in-depth stuff. Another caution I'll share is he was decidedly not a fan of Royal Purple oils.

That specific filter might have been replaced with a different model. However those two experiences were enough to reinforce our believe to only use parts that was designed by Toyota.

Christo,

Do you know if that was the old filters they recommended NOT BE USED on the Toyotas a few years ago and just replaced with an entirely new design last year? I know on the original filters there was a problem with some engines causing sludge issues that would clog the filter earlier than expected and inhibit the bypass valve operating properly if the owner was following an extended drain interval. I would be very interested if you knew whether it was the original filters the owners were using...or the newer redesigned filters.

Reason I ask is I have been using their filters on all my Toyotas for many years without a problem...but when they sent out the notice to NOT USE the original filters I had on my FJC....I stopped immediately and poked a hole in all I had remaining and threw them away.

With oil analysis I am doing 10k mile drain intervals...going to do another analysis this next oil change this month...but if using the currently recommended filters I would not have any qualms about using AMSOIL filters still...and as proven if something does happen they will stand behind products and make vehicle right.

here is the original TSB in case anyone still has those old filters around that were discontinued in June 2009 due to this problem.
http://www.amsoil.com/techservicesbulletin/Filtration/TSB FL-2009-05-01 EaO Toyota.pdf

The correct one for our trucks are as follow:

1FZ and 2UZ motors- AMSOIL Ea Oil Filters (EaO, Ea15K)

I know I found guys still using the discontinued filters as they had a bunch in stock thinking it was no big deal...but if AMSOIL discontinues and sends out a notice then you can rest assured they had good reason. The TSB pretty much tells it all...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom