Another oil thread...opinions?(dare I ask..) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Yes I've searched. Yes I've read about weight and temps. Yes I know this is a very opiniated topic. But I just want to go with popular vote.
I'm debating on rotella 5w-40 and 15w-40. I live in Washington and temps get low but not to the extremes(like 20F lowest. 80F summers. Average range) I daily my rig for now and just want to see what opinions you all have on which would make it run better between the 2. And yes I'm set on a Rotella oil. I just prefer it over others. Never done me wrong.

Im in new england were 20s are the norm and I run 5W30 mobil 1 for everything else diffs tranny transfer I run royal purple.

Last edited:
I'm switching to Rotella 15w-40 for my upcoming oil change to help slow down my oil leaks *hopefully*.

I run 5w-40 synthetic stuff. Working great for me. At this point have about 20 gallons of it through my truck. My truck sees negative temps regularly as well as the high 100+temps. Never a problem starting. Per 4k miles burn about a half gallon.

I think you should use Goodyear Duratracs in 285/75-16.

Yes I've searched. Yes I've read about weight and temps. Yes I know this is a very opiniated topic. But I just want to go with popular vote.
I'm debating on rotella 5w-40 and 15w-40. I live in Washington and temps get low but not to the extremes(like 20F lowest. 80F summers. Average range) I daily my rig for now and just want to see what opinions you all have on which would make it run better between the 2. And yes I'm set on a Rotella oil. I just prefer it over others. Never done me wrong.

F**k it, you asked. If your dead set on going with a Rotella oil ( don't understand that one) then I can't think of any reason why you would run a 15w-40 over a 5w-40 oil, other than price. The 5w will be a synthetic, have better flow at start up, and give you the same flow at operating temperature as the non synthetic. Like I said, the only advantage would be the 15w is cheaper. However, it's not really that much of an advantage considering you can easily stretch the oil change interval to 10-15k mile with the synthetic.

Or you could consider going with a 0w-30, but i'm not sure if Rotella makes one. A swap to Mobil 1 opens up everything from 0w-20 on up.

Its colder than that right now where I live and I'm running 15w40 in my 4runner 3rzfe. Id run it in a 1fzfe or 3fe as well.

I live in a much warmer climate than you and easily see temps over 100 frequently, 15w-40 here. But if winter temps were routinely less than 30, 5w-40. And either 255/85r16s or man up and go to 37’s :flipoff2:

I'm switching to Rotella 15w-40 for my upcoming oil change to help slow down my oil leaks *hopefully*.

petwhookie, Im curious as to why you think the oil may stop or slow your leak? I thought I read somewhere and some members stated certain oils helped stop some leaks. Just wondering an oil would do that. Do you have a rear main leak?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom