Another Oil Pressure Gauge Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Green Bean

GOLD Star
Threads
I wish I knew what I was doing. We had a unresponsive oil pressure gauge. I have a mechanical gauge installed under the hood, so I know that we have adequate oil pressure. I have replaced the sending unit. Also, I pulled instrument cluster and inspected, cleaned and tightened all connections. Still unresponsive. This morning I ran a new ground wire to the outside terminal on the back of the gauge. With the motor running, now the needle moves to the "High" side and stays there, even if I unplug the sending unit. At this point, I suspect that the gauge is working okay but it has an idiot trying to get it to function properly. Any and all ideas/help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks as always.

If it is an older style (no circuit board on the back) and the gauge is pegged with no wire attached to the gauge post that is going to the sending unit. The garage may be ground out to the cluster itself.

Does the gauge drop back down after the key is off?

If it is an older style (no circuit board on the back) and the gauge is pegged with no wire attached to the gauge post that is going to the sending unit. The garage may be ground out to the cluster itself.

Does the gauge drop back down after the key is off?
Thanks for your help. It is an old-style instrument cluster. No circuit board. Rather each gauge has 2 posts that stick out the back to which the wires attach. Yes, the gauge drops back to the far left when key is off. When key is switched on, the gauge goes to the far right. The back of the oil pressure gauge has 2 posts. Is one of the posts a ground? Right now, I ran a ground jumper from the outside terminal post. That is when the gauge sweeps right. If I disconnect that, the gauge stays parked on the far right, way below the "L".
Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom