I had a fair amount of rust on the backside and the inside of both the dash part and the ashtray itself. I spent quite a while using a Dremel and doing my best to get rid of as much rust as possible. The used Rustoleum Rust Remover to eliminate any rust that remained. Since its an ashtray I decided it needed to get a bit of Rustoleum 2000° Ultra High Heat Black spray on the inside of both parts. There was a little pitting on the grate so it received some cleaning and a coat of the High Heat Black as well. I was careful not to paint the roller which as in pretty good condition. The front plate got a coat of primer then a couple of coats of 1E7 Toyota Silver Mist and a couple coats of clear topcoat on both sides. I'm going to be using that for all the components that were factory silver. Its a bit brighter but looks good. For the grab I darkened it with an Acrylic Black Dye and then used a Clearcoat designed for plastics. When it came to the Chrome areas that would be visible I used some 6000 grit buffing paper and then ultra fine steel wool prior to applying a thin topcoat for protection. I may eventually decide to acid wash it and re-chrome those areas. For now it looks pretty good.Looks great I will
Get some better pics of mine and add to my build thread . I have 3 going on now. Ugg. But makes it kinda easy to do all the same with the 3 The yellow one I need to get the chrome cleaned up.