Another new Tacoma owner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

little_joe

SILVER Star
Threads
Long time 'Mud member and have had several Toyota 4WD's, just picked up a Taco. Hope to contribute some to this section as TW is such a mess...

I wanted a basic truck, more important to me were service records, age, mileage, and staying within a strict budget - basically I wanted the newest, lowest mileage truck I could comfortably afford in hopes of keeping it for a very long time. I preferred no moonroof, and would have been fine without the rear park assist.

2017 SR5, it's very basic - no TRD stickers (or features), no moonroof. Might be better to summarize what it does have: 4WD, V6, AT, AC, stereo, cruise, intermittent wipers, power mirrors and manual seats, some buttons and cupholders, 16" wheels. (Didn't know they were available OEM as late as 2017.) 52k miles, lease return, all records. While a wholly unremarkable used vehicle to many, it hit every button I wanted and I am completely thrilled already. And surprisingly, the stock head unit/sound is actually quite nice.

Don't have any grand plans for it - just need to be able to get in and go. Driving on the Outer Banks and FSR's is about all I intend; and hauling my fishing kayak. I will add wiring to power my Engel fridge and do some other, small functional mods; and hopefully convince my wife I need side steps (aka sliders). It has newish tires so any change there will be down the road.

I'm going back and forth with a local dealer to do the TSB reflash of the ECM. If they refuse and other local dealers won't, I will likely go for one of the tunes as the shifting is weird (as most already know).

Anyway, hi fellow Taco owners!

1616970649377.png

Nice! The PO of my truck installed one of these ARB sockets in the bed in the PS pocket. I bought the matching ARB plug cut away from Wits End and plan to solder on Power Pole ends on the other side which is what's on my Engel 12v cord. Those black wheels look great on a silver truck.

IMG_20200408_160414346.jpg

Nice! The PO of my truck installed one of these ARB sockets in the bed in the PS pocket. I bought the matching ARB plug cut away from Wits End and plan to solder on Power Pole ends on the other side which is what's on my Engel 12v cord. Those black wheels look great on a silver truck.
Thanks @iptman ! I actually plan to carry the Engel in the cab as I have no plan to install a shell or tonneau cover, going to work on a mounting system behind the driver seat. Since I tend to travel solo or with only my wife, I can afford to lose the cab space as I have just a 35 qt fridge.

O and please excuse my awful picture-taking: the wheels are actually a dark gray. I really like them regardless!

Nice truck. Welcome to the world of Tacos!

Ended up scoring a used Yakima Overhaul w/ side bars and the 55" crossbars off CL, really love this rack! After this photo, I swapped to the unpainted rear bumper endcaps since one of the chrome ones was cracked. I also got a "tune," the latest TSB software then flashed VFTune 2.0 basic settings - just wanted to smooth this thing out a bit. 100% worth it, while I was not looking for any performance gains (or loss), I just wanted better driveability - and got it.
1620731791000.png

Just got my 1st Tacoma since having one back in the late 90's. They have come a long way and so far I love it. Now on the hunt for a good used folding hard bed cover, bed mat, and some accessories.

1624912965845.JPEG

1624912965578.JPEG

1624912966117.JPEG

Nice! The Toyota bed mat is less than $100 so might not be worth the time looking for used or aftermarket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom