Another New Leather Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

NickPsy

SILVER Star
Threads
Hey Everyone-

I thought it would be helpful to add my experience and impressions of the new leather seat covers I just got installed on my rig. The previous owner of my car, in an attempt to make the original seat surfaces look as good as possible used some sort of filler product in the cracks. Whatever that product was left the seats sort of sticky and pretty grimy looking. So much so that I decided to replace the leather. I bought the Premium version leather seat covers in OEM factory tan from Land Cruiser Heaven. Delivery of the seat covers took about 2 1/2 weeks and everything arrived in great shape and complete. My initial impression was very good in terms of the leather quality, color match and quality construction on the set.

I did not have the time or desire to dedicate to installing these on my own and I thought the risk of a screw up was fairly high so I reached out to Autobahn Interiors in San Diego for help. Autobahn is one of the most highly recognized upholstery shops in the US in the vintage Porsche crowd and the owner Tony Garcia has done a few Porsche interiors for me over the past 10 years so I was very comfortable with his ability to take on this simple install. He rebuilt the foam where needed and he did a great job on the install. It took 2 days. He was impressed with the product and said it was well made and great quality. I’m very happy; my interior certainly looks new again and I don’t have to look at the grimy, sticky seats any longer. Two thumbs up on the Land Cruiser Heaven leather seats as an option if you are considering an update to your old seat surfaces.

Nick

98F4E54E-747B-4CDD-B81C-41AC56517E50.jpeg

AA2ADA4D-9FE2-4499-8734-32C7DE3C26DF.jpeg

BAE29BE1-95C4-427D-ABC3-E00AD86FA641.jpeg

Last edited:
Very nice, looks like they did a good job restoring the bolsters on the seat and back. I'm about ready to pull the trigger, either on the costco roadwire deal or these land cruiser heaven covers.

Also as I look at your light colored carpet, I'm thinking my carpets are either super freakin dirty, or I have the very rare/exclusive OEM brown carpets. :eek:

One of the better installs I've seen in terms of fitment. No out of place wrinkles that scream "I'm an aftermarket skin". Very nice looking.

Now, get a little brush and cleaner on the red seat belt release button to make it look like new next to your beautiful new seats :clap:

I am going to buy new leather eventually, but I have yet to see an aftermarket option that maintains the factory-style ruched leather. The ruched leather is functional—it sort of gives and hugs and feels softer than the taut leather that I’ve seen on every aftermarket leather thread here... anyone found a solution for this?

I've not heard that term before. Does it refer to the 'gathered' look in the inner panels of the seat?

If so, then I'd be inclined to agree. Though, the OP's seats turned out so nicely I don't know if I'd balk at the snugger looking fit. At least, not compared to some of the aftermarket installs posted here :eek:

I've not heard that term before. Does it refer to the 'gathered' look in the inner panels of the seat?

If so, then I'd be inclined to agree. Though, the OP's seats turned out so nicely I don't know if I'd balk at the snugger looking fit. At least, not compared to some of the aftermarket installs posted here :eek:
Yes, the ruffle in the leather. The problem is that if I get the front seats, they won’t match the rears with the ruched (or ruffled) leather. I’m a little OCD maybe. Of course my seats are ripped and I just sewed them up so maybe not *too* OCD.

But if I’m shelling out for new leather I want good stuff that matches the factory look & feel.

I am going to buy new leather eventually, but I have yet to see an aftermarket option that maintains the factory-style ruched leather. The ruched leather is functional—it sort of gives and hugs and feels softer than the taut leather that I’ve seen on every aftermarket leather thread here... anyone found a solution for this?

Yes @FJ60Cam can get them for you in any color you would like.

I need to catch a glimpse of these warlocks. Is there a thread for his leathers with pics I can take a peak at?

I don’t receive many install pics (and have only had a few done locally). Here’s a thread of an 80 install with the seat cooler option.

Seat Coolers

$580 for the seat covers, $900 for the install. The color match is spot on and I do agree that there is a difference from the original ruffled seat inserts. It doesn’t bother me at all because the new seats just look so much better. I think the color match really helps. Also, the original leather has a very smooth finish and the Land Cruiser Heaven leather has a somewhat grainy, embossed texture. The obvious solution is to get new rear seats but with the color match so good and the install so nice all is good in my book....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom