Another Mt Bike carry solution using old style Slee Bumper (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know there are a few long threads on this but I wanted to share the solution I came up with for my old school Slee bumper and tire carrier.

In the center of the tire carrier there is about an approximately 1 3/8 inch hole that goes through to the square tube area behind the tire. I massaged that hole with a dremel so the 1 1/4” portion of a 1 1/4 to 2 inch receiver adapter would slide through tightly. I then payed out and drilled two holes in the square tubing section I’d the Slee tire carrier so I could through bolt where the hole for the receiver pin would go through. This resulted in a very sturdy 2” receiver sticking out of the center of my spare. I wanted to be able to swing my bikes out and also keep them up high. The 1Up rack then mounted there. This rack is an engineering marvel with no plastic parts. I like the results

Cool, may I ask why your preference is to mount so high, versus an extension from the receiver hitch and mounting at conventional heights?

I asked a similar question recently as I was debating adding a bike hitch to the swing out, but the consensus was that it ads a lot of leverage to the swing out assembly.

Cool, may I ask why your preference is to mount so high, versus an extension from the receiver hitch and mounting at conventional heights?

I asked a similar question recently as I was debating adding a bike hitch to the swing out, but the consensus was that it ads a lot of leverage to the swing out assembly.

@cody c

Cody, I could mount it in the receiver in the bumper but I'm going to give this a go. My thinking is; first I want the swing out without having to lower the bikes, which I consider a pain in the ass. Second, I think that it will be safer up high should I do some of the trails that I have in the past.

It's interesting to observe the leverage on it. If you are driving you can see the bikes moving, but the spare tire hardly moves at all. The message I get from that is that you are getting the usual flex and movement you do from a bike rack while the swing out and the spare are not moving very much. I will continue to monitor it and see if there are adverse effects. So far, so good.

Right on, let us know how it goes. I also see the advantage of having it up higher for departure scrub, but then again it doesn't really make sense to take all that wheeling. I like the idea of having the bike rack on a swingout as well, but I hardly ever take a bike on the back of a vehicle anyways so its not really worth me building something for it, considering the time needed to build and the other projects in line being neglected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom