Another mini-PM: Check your Brake light switch Cushion 90541-06036 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Found a small plastic part broken in half on the driver's side footwell (FZJ80) under the brake pedal, took a few seconds but figured out it was the CUSHION (90541-06036) for the Brake light switch . It's located high up on the brake pedal arm (photos to follow).

There was a hole worn deep into the center of the cushion from the spring loaded post of the brake light switch which eventually caused the cushion to split in half and fall out. Might sound like a trivia part but if the cushion falls out (or wears out) your brake lights might come on while driving or parked depending on the adjustment of the brake pedal/switch position, weakness of the return spring, etc.

FWIW

Last edited:
A while back I had a parasitic drain on my battery that I couldn't pinpoint. I bought a new battery and inspected all aftermarket accessories and found nothing. One night I went to hop in my truck and noticed the brake lights were on. I investigated a little further and found the switch cushion on the brake pedal was significantly worn down in the center. Ordered the replacement and that solved my problem. Makes me wonder how long I was driving around with my brake lights always on. I guess the upside to all of it is that I ended up with an excuse to install a second battery.

Noone tailgates a guy whos always braking. Good pickup, im sure thats item #9999 that needs checking for age wear on an 80!

A while back I had a parasitic drain on my battery that I couldn't pinpoint. I bought a new battery and inspected all aftermarket accessories and found nothing. One night I went to hop in my truck and noticed the brake lights were on. I investigated a little further and found the switch cushion on the brake pedal was significantly worn down in the center. Ordered the replacement and that solved my problem. Makes me wonder how long I was driving around with my brake lights always on. I guess the upside to all of it is that I ended up with an excuse to install a second battery.

Same situation here! I Could not figure out drain on the system until I charged the battery and went out at night time. Brake lights were on. Cushion 90541-06036 had disappeared.

Tanks for the post.

A couple of weeks ago my son let me know that my brake lights were still on when parked. So I parked the LC and have been driving my TJ until I can get enough time to replace what I thaught was a brake pedal switch. If this is the issue I'll get it working tonight when I get home from work.

Tanks for the post.

A couple of weeks ago my son let me know that my brake lights were still on when parked. So I parked the LC and have been driving my TJ until I can get enough time to replace what I thaught was a brake pedal switch. If this is the issue I'll get it working tonight when I get home from work.

If pad / cushion is still in place, and the brake lights remain on, likely just need to adjust the switch underneath. The 14mm nuts on the threaded rod can be adjusted.

It was a broken pad. I have some on order, but I used this $2 fix (Found in WM arts & crafts section) until the parts get here. Works great and only 30 seconds to install.

IMG_7136.PNG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom