Another MC and Booster question........I KNOW!!! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Okay, before I get blasted about searching, I just want to let everyone know, I have. I have talked to Poser and Trollhole and not that they did not help, but I am still unsure what is the ideal set up.

I have a 72 40 and I am putting disk all the way around. I got a mini truck set up for the front and Monte Carlo set up in the rear (major props to Poser on a great product, information and transaction -- wish there were more people like him to deal with).

Belmont148 came over and pretty much did the whole rear, but when we went to bleed the lines..........nothing:eek:!!! After working on it for a while, we finally determined the MC is bad, no fluid is being sent to the rear breaks. I also have a leak in my booster, I can hear it. Need to replace both the MC and booster......yeah.

Here is my question, what is the best and easiest MC and booster set up? I have heard of using a booster from a 60 and then using a MC from a 1991 80. But I have also heard of someone using an ABS MC from an 80 and it working too. Is there a set up that does not require a prop valve?

I just need some guidance here, and appreciate any advice.

You WILL need a proportioning valve, no matter what booster and M/cyl you use.
I would just use the '40 booster and a M/cyl from a '71 which has a little larger bore, IIRC.
Did you bench bleed the master?

Did not bench bleed the MC, but it has a leak too. So I was going to replace it anyways. Just not sure if I want to use a mc and booster from a 40. Unless I can find a pair that for sure works. Figure if I am going to do the work, might as well get kind of an upgrade.

FJ80 non-abs master (1" bore) with a stock 74 booster is what I run on my rig w/ disks all the way around. Works well. Got the master from Marlin Crawler (~$100). As Degnol said you will need a prop valve for the rear. I got mine from Summit racing (~$40)

Get the non ABS master from Rock Auto, it is only about $75. Have Booster Dewey rebuild your booster. That is about $150 shipped and then you'll be good to go.

I used a booster/MC combo from NAPA to fit an '89 mini truck V6 4x4. 1/2" steel spacer on the firewall. Front disc rear drum for now. It bolted right up and works great.

Guys, I appreciate all the feed back. After doing some more research, and all the helpful advise, I think I am going to go with a booster from a 60 and a MC from a 91 FJ80 (non-abs) along with the proportioning valve from Summit. Hopefully have it all put together in the next couple of weeks. THANKS EVERYONE!!

Use a brake master from a FZJ80 (1993-1997), abs ... non-abs, it doesn't matter, I believe they are the same. You will need a proportion valve no matter what you do. Here is my setup.

attachment.php

I have a mini truck booster and NON ABS Master. I used a FJ40 master, Mini truck master, and neither of them worked well. The NON ABS master made a world of difference for me with mini in the front and El Dorado in the rear.

Shawn

Sounds great, now find me some parts.:D

I have a few trees with your name on them waiting to be cut down when we are done.:beer:

Jeremy

Found and ordered everything but the booster. Waiting on a PM for one off of a 60. Hopefully by next week we will be up and rolling!!!! :steer:

Bring on the trees!!!:hmm:

That 4runner booster that I found new at Napa for $165 turned out to be a single diaphragm. Not any better than your current setup only new. I will call my buddies parts store tomorrow and get a price on a 75'-80' FJ40 booster as well as a 60 and a V6 4runner booster as all are dual diaphragm. The FJ40 will probably be the cheapest and that is the same one that Marshall is running with his 80 MC. I'll email you in the morning with the prices.

Jeremy

UPDATE---Well as usual, not everything goes to plan. So there have been some changes. Found the MC off of a 91 FJ80 and have that on the way. Belmont148 found me a booster out of a 97FJ80 and I ordered the proportioning valve from Jegs ($49.98 shipped) and I will pick up two swagelok tube connector fittings.

Hopefully we can have the booster, MC and valve on next week to make sure the rear disk are working correctly. Then it is on to the next project.......

Well, got the booster and the MC hooked up. Went with a 91 FJ80 non-abs MC with a 97 FJ80 booster and the the proportioning valve from JEGS. Everything seems to work great. The rear disc breaks are done and working. Now we are doing the front, and it has been a pain.

So far, the set up seems like it is going to work. There was a little grinding needed for some fitment issues, but Belmont148 was able to get to work. I will get some pics up so you can see how it all fit together.

Finally done!!!

Well after many long nights working on her, Belmont148 and I finally got her on the road. What started out as a disc conversion, got a little more involved than expected.

Now she has 4 wheel disc brakes. Poser's set up in the rear, and 85 mini truck in the front. New seal kit from Marlin. Booster from a 97 FJZ80 and MC from a 91 non-abs FJ80. Had to do some modifications to the booster to get it to fit and work correctly. Proportioning valve from JEGS. Oh and a new battery and gear reduction starter.

Learned A LOT, and got a lot of help and info from MUD. Much appreciated!! Oh, and Belmont148 is the MAN!!

If you use Swagelok fittings, you need to use the tubing that is qualified to use with them. I don't think the OEM brake tube qualifies. If may not seal or it may crack. You don't want to take chances.

If you use Swagelok fittings, you need to use the tubing that is qualified to use with them. I don't think the OEM brake tube qualifies. If may not seal or it may crack. You don't want to take chances.

x2 Install two flare fittings to mate up to the prop valve properly. Don't cut corners on your brakes or steering. Please tell us how you had to modify the 80 booster to work.

Well after many long nights working on her, Belmont148 and I finally got her on the road. What started out as a disc conversion, got a little more involved than expected.

Now she has 4 wheel disc brakes. Poser's set up in the rear, and 85 mini truck in the front. New seal kit from Marlin. Booster from a 97 FJZ80 and MC from a 91 non-abs FJ80. Had to do some modifications to the booster to get it to fit and work correctly. Proportioning valve from JEGS. Oh and a new battery and gear reduction starter.

Learned A LOT, and got a lot of help and info from MUD. Much appreciated!! Oh, and Belmont148 is the MAN!!

Can you post a bunch of pics? Under the hood, brake line routing, rear axle brake lines, line fastening, etc.

Thanks,

Rigger

Ah yes, the great swagelok debate. I have read much on this......and it will continue to be discussed.:hmm:

x2 Install two flare fittings to mate up to the prop valve properly. Don't cut corners on your brakes or steering. Please tell us how you had to modify the 80 booster to work.

With the booster, we had to shorten the rod to the petal about a 1/4 of an inch.

Then, with the master off and the brake pedal pushed in, I had to screw in the cap nut about 1/8 of an inch. It is a little difficult to get to, but manageable. Had to do this, otherwise the brakes were engaged while driving....:censor:

Can you post a bunch of pics? Under the hood, brake line routing, rear axle brake lines, line fastening, etc.

Thanks,

Rigger

I will get some pics this weekend and post them for you to check out. I noticed you went through almost the same situation I did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom