Another late thought about the Throttle coolant bypass (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So……I’m taking my 97 up to Canada this Christmas. I have bypass the throttle body coolant line (PHH’s neighbor) a year ago because the hose cracked and started leaking. There is no point for me to have that under my intake and potential left me on the side of the road at some point since I live in Florida.

but now for the long drive up to the north I start worrying for the throttle freezes it self while I’m driving.

anyone has experience with that hose being deleted and live in real cold weather?

Why not just replace that bypass hose and restore your confidence?

Last edited:
Fix it.

/conversation.

I can't image anyone deleting that hose if they lived in an area with freezing temperatures.
I remember driving my old Rochester carb'ed Jeepster in the cold and having to wedge the choke open with a screwdriver to keep it running. :lol:

I would just fix it.

Pretty easy to get at if you remove the throttle body. I thought about deleting mine and actually did as a temp fix but it's just as easy to fix the right way.

the real question is why would you ever want to go to canada?? :flipoff2:
Yeah, canada thinks they are above us, just ask the dork at the border..... no puns intended....

Depends on where in Canada.
A cold engine is cold no mater where so starting should not be an issue. Some people say the coolant keeps the throttle from freezing, but what about heat sink and just maybe the coolant actually helps moderate under hood temps thus helping with fuel lock.
On a side note: Canadians travel to the US in order to appreciate just how civilized we can be.
Don't be a coward, drive it the way it is and report back. God hates a coward!

Why all the hate for us Canadians? Just because both our leaders, USA and Canada, are dicks does not mean we, you and us, are dicks also....:flipoff2:

Very cold somewhere after -40C according to the webs.

So what's the freezing temperature for gasoline?

Having spent some considerable time documenting engine startability at cold temps in the -35C ~ -45C range around Timmins, gasoline freezing is not a problem. The problem is vaporization. Canadian winter spec gas is quite different than anything that the south 48 states can get, it has a much lower vaporization temperature, allowing easier starting at those kind of temps.

Back to the original question, I had the same issue with that hose on a S/C'd 1FZ. I drove without it until I could get it fixed, about 2 weeks. I noticed worse fuel economy and longer warm-up.
My concern at cold temps would of course be throttle body freezing (duh) and anything you could do to avoid that would be money well-spent IMO. Why not fix it?

...and, get Canadian fuel in the tank as soon as you can if it's going to get cold, it will make a difference in how easy it starts.

FWIW, Dan.

So what's the freezing temperature for gasoline?

The coolant bypass heats the throttle body. The potential problem is not the gasoline freezing as it is injected into the intake near the cylinder head. It is the water vapor in the incoming air that may freeze causing icing buildup in the throttle body. That could cause blockages in air passages or restrict movement of the butterfly.

Why all the hate for us Canadians?...:flipoff2:

I make no bones I come see you folks all the time, and have a now-unspoken thing where we fish, not talk Trump or Trudeau.

But I’ll listen to the guys bitch about their Rogers bill, or how that weird inter-province $$$ thing makes Alberta subsidize, -well, any province E of them-

In turn I piss & moan the USA is trying to be California/encroached freedoms we are seeing - we just don’t pick at the others’ societal / political gaffs.

It’s like how you can say your sister is ugly, but I do it & I expect a pop in the lip. Same principle.

And I can say this - you all don’t tailgate, but anything else goes on your roads. Freaking near anything - B.C. coast anyhow.

I expect that’s 100% the other guys here too - but it’s the internet so we gotta pick on ::whoever::

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom