Another key question, need to replace the transmitter housing (not talking about the key shell) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
2006 LX470
The key shell grenaded, and the transmitter housing case is damaged, too. I'm taking about the part that's clear on one side, black on the other (where battery sits), that has the three buttons attached to it, which sits inside the key shell.

The electronics part still works so I'm hoping I can move the electronics and the little rubber "tray" into a new transmitter housing and key shell.

Has anyone replaced their transmitter housing? Having a hard time sourcing the parts and the few on-line part schematics aren't clearly showing what their parts are.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Can you post a picture of what you are talking about. I think I understand what you are referring to but having a hard time visualizing (mines a 98 so really only 3 pieces... shell, transmitter/buttons and blade). If it is what I am thinking it is then I don't believe you can just replace that part because it is the overall housing for the buttons/electronics and thus a part of it.

You may have some luck posting exactly what you want in the Classifieds. Chances are someone may have gotten rid of a rig and found an extra key they can part with for a reasonable cost. You can then scavenge that key for parts.

Can you post a picture of what you are talking about. I think I understand what you are referring to but having a hard time visualizing (mines a 98 so really only 3 pieces... shell, transmitter/buttons and blade). If it is what I am thinking it is then I don't believe you can just replace that part because it is the overall housing for the buttons/electronics and thus a part of it.

This is the part I'm talking about, a bit blurry but you get the idea. I was hoping to find just the case part, which is the clear plastic bottom on the left and the flimsy plastic lid on the right. Mine's disassembled. It "nests" left to right...clear bottom part of case with buttons mounted (I'm missing two), then the little rubber "tray" sits inside that, then the actual electronics sits inside the rubber tray, then the battery mounts on to the top of the electronics, then the flimsy black "cap" that secures everything inside the clear plastic bottom part. Then that whole assembly sits inside the plastic key shell. Local stealer quoted me something like $200+ for the trasnmitter key fob, and another $175 to program it. My local Ace hardware quoted half that for an aftermarket key fob that they will program.
IMG_20200925_095410263.jpg

I did end up finding this part: Case Shell For Lexus Keyless Entry Remote Fob Button Pad Gut and will give it a try. My LX470 wasn't listed as a fit, but for $8 I'll give it a try.

You may have some luck posting exactly what you want in the Classifieds. Chances are someone may have gotten rid of a rig and found an extra key they can part with for a reasonable cost. You can then scavenge that key for parts.

That is a simply genius idea. If the case above that I ordered doesn't work I'll give that a try. I did put my other OEM key fob stuff into a Stauber case. First one went in w/o and drama, but the second one went downhill when I changed the battery and couldn't get the battery to stay mounted : (. Stupid me for using brute force.

UPDATE:
The transmitter case part that I mentioned in post #4 was a perfect fit even tho they don't list the 2006 LX470 as a fit.
Link: Case Shell For Lexus Keyless Entry Remote Fob Button Pad Gut

The only difference is that the red Panic button in the old transmitter case is replaced by a black Trunk button. I probably could've tried switching them out as they do come off, but I've learned to leave "well enough" alone. I'll probably dab some type of red paint on that button in the future.

The kit came as below:
IMG_20200930_181829761.jpg
The black part second from the right is the mount for the battery and it snaps to the transmitter circuit board, plus it comes with new battery terminal clips/contacts. My whole ordeal started when I couldn't get a replacement battery to snap in to the old battery mount and tried ham-fisting it. The battery terminal clips/contacts stayed connected to the circuit board when I gently pried off the black battery mount, so I left them on and snapped on the new battery mount around them. Gently replaced the battery...and voila!....wait a minute....crap!!....I forgot to replace the transponder chip! Yes...that little black chip (blue arrow, below) needs to be swapped from the old transmitter case into the new one. Remember to be very careful opening up the transmitter case...the old one did not handle the process very well at all. I put it all back in to a new Stauber key shell and will try it out tonight.
InkedIMG_20200930_181911755_LI.jpg

Wemopvalliere@aol.comVlc@77209hr

If you find the Stauber shell isn't up to the task then I recommend a ToyotaMD shell. Very happy with mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom