Another intro thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Everyone

Recently bought a 1984 FJ60. 365000 miles on the odometer (but less on the re-built engine). Found it on this forum here while I was looking for technical advice on my 1994 Toyota 22RE pickup. As luck would have it, I found myself needing something a little larger than a mini-truck (for the little one + dog). This forum 'enabled' me to go ahead and take the plunge on a 60. That and my wife thinks they're cool.

The PO did a fantastic job with the engine, drivetrain, etc. It runs well and the day I bought it I drove it home almost 500 miles without issue. Today it is a daily driver around town and short stints out of town. My first mod was the 3-point seatbelts in the back...so I could haul the little one.

fullsizeoutput_98d.jpeg

Anyway...it's a wonderful truck. We already bonded a bit on the long drive home. And, with any luck, this thing will be a member of the family for a long time to come.

My issues are, of course, the rust. When I bought it, it came already with a new set of doors, rear hatch and window, and passenger's side front fender...so those will all eventually be replaced when it's time for painting and I am not worried about them. The rear quarter panels...I am planning to order the Wolff replacements, again when it's time to paint.

IMG_6446.JPG

This is just one example. There are more. I can see daylight when I remove the inside cargo compartment panels. I've read as much as I can find on here about temporary fixes for rust...but I still am wondering what to do. I cannot afford to paint properly at the moment.

So my question is...should I do anything about this as a temporary fix until I can paint properly? Should I go ahead and buy/weld the Wolff (or other) replacement panels, prime, and temporarily paint them? Should I just leave it and do it all at once the right way...maybe in a year or so?

This forum is incredible and I really appreciate any offers of advice.

I would drive it have as much fun as possible and then when you are ready do the rust a section at a time and as dbleon said do it once and do it right. The time, energy, and money to do some quick cosmetics is a waste until you can do it correctly.

Just make sure the rust holes are not letting water in to pool and stay inside the rear quarters. If so you can pull some drain plugs to help the water get out or drill some holes in the bottom of the quarter to let it drain. (your going to replace that metal anyway). But in this case it is cheap to smear some fiberglass filler over the hole and grind/sand it down and spray some primer on it until your ready to cut it all out and do it right.

Thanks for the replies. g-man, this is what I was worried about...water staying in there and messing up the good metal inside. I will take your advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom