Another heater "not blowing hot" post (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

shtbrwn86

SILVER Star
Threads
So I have done a ton of searching on here and found the following two posts to be extremely helpful:

Unfortunately these threads lead to some more questions about my newly purchased 1999 LX. Symptoms are very little heat or airflow coming from dash vents (auto or manual). AC blows super powerful and cold. Rear heat works well. Blows really hot.

I read that the climate control won't fully engage the blower fan on hot if it doesn't detect hot coolant in the core right? If so, that would explain why the airflow is pretty weak on HOT.

And now a little history about the car. One owner, spent entire life in Phoenix area. Garage-kept, well-maintained with major work done by the dealer. But after reading the above posts it leads to me question whether or not the dealer did the best job. 244k when I purchased it in AZ and drove it back to Seattle.

Trip was uneventful other than I forgot to check the coolant level when I first took possession. At the first fill up about 250 miles later (110 OAT) I checked the coolant in the overflow and it was at LOW. Topped filled it back to FULL and continued on my way. I did spend a lot of time watching the temp gauge and didn't see it fluctuate. I did notice that once it cooled down at night it settled one notch lower and that's where it's been ever since. I also noticed the occasional coolant smell in the cabin, but only every so often and only for a few seconds at most. I read that this is normal as the radiator cap is venting into the overflow and you can smell it when that happens.

Summary - It had a new radiator installed in 2019 at the dealer, yet he declined a new cap? The heater issues started in 2013 apparently. 13,000 miles after doing the timing belt. I've read that if the shop isn't thorough they can leave air in the system. Since he lived in Phoenix I think he just dealt with it since he didn't need the cabin heater much. He also said that he took it to a dealer in Colorado when they noticed the issue on a trip and the dealer could't figure it out. He then took it the main dealer when he got back and they couldn't figure it out either. He said he would have fixed it if they could diagnose it and I am inclined to believe him given the other work he had the dealership do. It also has apparently been an issue for the past 6 1/2 years. I did notice that the radiator hoses have been replaced more than once due to leaking coolant. I see some dried coolant in the engine but saw NO new coolant in those areas on my drive home (I checked every fillup!)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

06/12 - 157,332
DESCRIPTION: TIMING BELT ~|~REPLACE TIMING BELT ~|~ ~|~REPLACE TIMING AND DRIVE BELTS NOTE, DRIVE BELT TENSIONER AND IDLER BEARINGS SHOULD BE REPLACED SOON.

09/2013 - 170,790
REPLACED RADIATOR HOSE AND T-STAT - DESCRIPTION: REPLACED RADIATOR HOSE AND T-STAT ~|~CUST STATES HEATER IS NOT WORKING / ADV / NOT HOT AIR - BLOWS COLD ~|~ ~|~170790 100 INSPECTED COOLING SYS FOR LEAKS, FOUND UPPER RADIATOR HOSE LEAKING AT BOTH ENDS, REPLACED RADIATOR HOSE UPPER AND CLEANED MATING SURFACES FOR HOSE, FOUND THERMOSTAT HOUSING SEEPING COOLANT REPLACED T STAT AND GASKET, TOPPED OFF COOLANT TEST DROVE

09/2014 - 182895
SERVICE: RADIATOR-FAN
DESCRIPTION: RADIATOR-FAN ~|~CLIENT STATES WHEN DRIVING AT LOW SPEEDS THE HEATER WILL WORK OKAY BUT IF YOU DRIVE HIGHWAY SPEEDS THE HEATER WILL BLOW HOT AIR. DRIVING CONDITIONS HAVE TO BE COLD. ADVISE ~|~PARTIALLY RESTRICTED HEATER CORE ~|~BACK FLUSH HEATER CORE, REPLACED TWO T CONNECTORS LEADING TO REAR AND FRONT HEATER CORES, REPLACED LEAKING UPPER RADIATOR HOSE (NOTE, THERE IS SOME CORROTION ON UPPER RADIATOR HOSE HOUSING ON ENGINE SIDE, MAY NEED TO BE REPLACED IF IT LEAKS IN NEAR FUTURE

01/2016 - 197,402
DESCRIPTION: OTHERS ~|~CLIENT STATES THERE IS RED FLUID LEAKING FROM UNDER THE VEHICLE. ~|~ ~|~R & R WATER PUMP,T BELT AND DRIVE BELTS, RADIATOR ASSY,UPPER AND LOWER HOSES , AND WATER INLET AND OUTLET ASSY.OTHERS

DESCRIPTION: SEE SECTION ~|~CLIENT STATES THE HEATER WILL ONLY BLOW COLD AIR. BEFORE IT WAS STUCK ON COLD AIR YOU COULD ADJUST THE TEMP AND YOU COULD BE SOME WARM AIR. CLIENT STATES THE RECIRC AND FRESH AIR MODE DOES ADJUST RIGHT AWAY. ADVISE ~|~ ~|~A/C OR HEATER SYSTEM DIAGNOSIS ALL, R&R FRONT AND REAR HEATER CORES ASSY W/ EVAC AND RECHARGE A/C - note: I don't think they actually replaced the heater core. PO didn't think so either, and I imagine that would be a bill that he would remember.

04/2017 - 209,094

DESCRIPTION: SPECIAL SERVICE CAMPAIGN ~|~CLIENT STATES THERE IS ROARING TYPE NOISE COMING FROM THE FRONT OF THE VEHICLE AND THE TRANSMISSION HESITATES ON ACCELERATION AND IT LURCHES WHEN IT SHIFTS. ADVSIE ~|~FOUND FAN CLUTCH COMPLETELY SEIZED AND CAUSING LOUD ROARING NOISE. NO TRANS CODES OR TRANSMISSION PROBLEMS AT THIS TIME ~|~REPLACED FAN CLUTCH ASSY AND TEST FAN FUNCTIONS. NOISE IS MINIMIZED

02/2019 - 231545 MILES
DESCRIPTION: OTHERS ~|~CUSTOMER THE POWER STEERING STOPPED WORKING AND CUSTOMER NOTICED A BURNING SMELL COMING FROM THE ENGINE. CUSTOMER STOPPED THE ENGINE AND HAD THE VEHICLE TOWED. TECH NOTED FAN BRACKET BEARING HAS EXCESSIVE FREEPLAY. THIS IS ALLOWING THE BEARING AND FAN TO ~|~FAN BRACKET LOCKED UP ~|~REPLACED FAN BRACKET AND TEST DROVE. VEHICLE PERFORMED NORMAL AT THIS TIME

06/2019 - 235,766
SERVICE: RADIATOR ASSY
DESCRIPTION: RADIATOR ASSY ~|~CLIENT STATES THE VEHICLE IS LEAKING COOLANT. CHECK AND ADVISE REPLACE RADIATOR ASSY ~|~RADIATOR ASSY LEAKING , RECONMINDING REPLACE ~|~RADIATOR ASSY, R&R
SERVICE: RADIATOR CAP
DESCRIPTION: RADIATOR CAP ~|~ ~|~,CUSTOMER DECLINED SERVICE -DONE ELSEWHERE
SERVICE: RADIATR HOSE-LOWR &/OR CLAMP
DESCRIPTION: RADIATR HOSE-LOWR &/OR CLAMP ~|~ ~|~,CUSTOMER DECLINED SERVICE -DONE ELSEWHERE

I should add that I have not completed the fill and check for three days in a row yet. I am just hoping it's air in the system and not a heater core!

Also, there is a bit of red staining on the carpet under the floor mat on the DS - not sure how that showed up there, but it felt dry and I put a paper towel down in that area and did not notice any wetness during the drive home.

I have posted a couple different places, but after replacing my thermostat I have heat again. How exactly does the thermostat control the heat? I know it opens at a set temperature so coolant can flow, but if it wasn't opening wouldn't there be overheating? I was able to drive from Phoenix in June all the way back to Seattle with no overheating.

Thermostats can get stuck both open and closed, or really, partially stuck either way. So in your case it may have been stuck partially open, not allowing the heat to build up.

Number one reason for low or no heat, is coolant level (air in coolant system). Checking level at reservoir is not good enough.

Whereas you had heat at rear heater, that does not insure you've no air in system. Rear heater is feed by lower or down leg of heater tees and sits low in system. If coolant low, it then may fill lower heater core (rear) and get some flow. Whereas not completely fill the upper heater core (front).

Also issue with front heater core not blowing. Can be HVAC air ducting diverter or clogged core.

Thermostat open to soon (weak) or stuck open. Engine will not make operating temp, in all but high OAT days.

Thermostat jig valve not at top. Air will not bleed properly and we back again the a low coolant issue. One that normal burping, likely will not solve/purge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom