Builds Another GX build in Seattle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
For some background:
My parents have had a Landcruiser (80 series and 100 series) for the past 20 years and I was always the rebel never accepting the fate of falling into the reliable and capable Toyota family. I went from a Series 2 Disco to a LR3 to a BMW X5 diesel (twice). So, as my lease was coming to a close back in August, I found the right car for me - a 2007 Ash Blue Mica GX470 Sport (with Nav) w/ 100k miles, timing belt replaced and nearly perfect maintenance history.

Now after having some time with it, I am starting to build it out for my needs. I live in downtown Seattle and the GX is my DD - so the world of compromise is becoming quite the reality for me. I have roughed out my build based on these needs/constraints:

1) I have to fit into underground garages so I have a max height limit of around 6 ft 7 in (this limits tires and lift plus I want a hardshell RTT which may not be doable)
2) spare tire has to fit underneath for time being (so I went 265/70r17 and I gained 0.5 inches height here)
3) The car still needs to have a comfortable ride (it is my DD and I am single but not wanting to stay that way)
4) Hardcore trails are not for me (I am relatively new to offroading; pinstripes are fine, mangled panels are not)
5) I want to get to remote areas for camping and explore the WABDR (these are mostly accessed via forestry roads)
6) Performance (speed) still matters - I came from a LR3 and BMW X5 diesel which both have more grunt (this put limits on tire size and did not move to a LT tire due to power loss resulting from weight added at a larger radius)
7) Lexus parts are expensive - use the money to get what I really want instead of OEM replacement
8) I am trying to keep a stock look (although I drool over the photos of Lexy by @sethro )

With this in mind, 1 inch of lift is about all I want for practical and aesthetic reasons (my current tires look too small with the AHC at High). Coils are probably the cheapest part of the suspension to replace and is where I am willing to take risk. I can dial it in down the road if I feel I need something a little different (and sell the coils on mud for cheap so someone else can start to figure out their needs too). This could easily be the case if @THeGeNTLeMaN starts building GX specific parts like the hidden winch mount, dual battery tray, sliders for KDSS GX's , etc.

So far the GX has gotten:
1) 5 Firestone 265/70r17 tires
2) Front and rear weathertechs

On order:
1)front coilovers: Radflo 2.5's, extended travel, 650lb springs (from MetalTech)
2)rear shocks: Radlo 2.5's (from MetalTech)
3)LR UCA's (from MetalTech)
4)Spring conversion kit (MetalTech)
5)Custom Coils that will most likely be direct copy of @little_joe (thanks you Joe for your insight and advice)

Upgrades ratlling around in my brain:
1)Hard shell RTT
2)some way to have recovery points without a new bumper (rear tow hitch might have to be installed)
3)a fridge
4)custom drawer system to hide away some basics (axe, recovery gear, etc)
5)more gasoline capacity (the mpg hit from diesel X5 to the GX means I lost over 100 miles of range and I hate going to Costco every week for gas)

Looking forward to the adventure and any feedback on the build.

-Ryan

GX_no_mods.jpg

strong work. With your height restriction you are not going to be able to leave your rtt on permanent. The gx is very capable off road in stock form. you don't need to get all crazy lifting it and stuff. Off road driving in many different conditions is far more valuable than all kinds of modifications.

Subscribed! and look forward to it, Ryan.

For recovery gear storage, I ended up buying a nylon electronic keyboard bag - it fits 3 straps, shackles, jumper cables, old folding shovel, saw, and a bunch of other gear while only consuming 5" of height, and it fits lengthwise or crosswise between the wheel wells. Leaves plenty of room for my 35qt Engel to sit on the floor (not blocking rear vision).

@wingysataday - I hear ya on not going crazy on the lift. I am at 100k on the odometer and those parts are 9 years old now, so I figure it is part of the normal replacement cycle and I didn't want o give Lexus the $$$ it takes to stay stock.

@little_joe Good tip I will look into that. My big worry is that many of the underground garages get broken into in Seattle. The garage at my apt bulding has been broken into at least 4 times in the past year (and yes it is gated). This makes me want to keep stuff out of view; a low set of drawers would be perfect (plus my dog gets the cargo area when she is out with me).

I recently saw a photo by labrak on instagram with a GX build using the labrak rack (nice build BTW should the owner be on MUD and reading this). "Set up the #GX470 today. From center of roof, to the top of our rack is only 2.375" The factory rack measured at the same point is 4" " . A savings of 1.5 inches - I'll take that. I also like that it that "We're also 100% U.S. Sourced and 100% made in Oregon. SAPA extrudes our proprietary extrusions in Portland, OR." Frontrunner and Eezi-awn were near the top of my list but a PNW company making as US made rack - that is hard to say no to. In theory, I would have expected more Aussie stuff to be making its way to the US given the extemely strong dollar (Hey ARB- when are you lowering your prices to reflect that?)

GX_labrak.PNG

Welcome ryan ... hope to get you some sliders and other gear built in the near future as I'm working to get the WGW business and ideas off the ground and running ...
The winch mount and sliders will probly be first

Don't expect ARB to be lowering their prices anytime soon. They make quality stuff, and spend more than anyone else on R&D (probably more than any two other companies combined). They have a name and they are know as the "go to" for off road and overland products. Are there other companies out there that make a better product, yes, but no one that has a product line as diverse and with as high a quality in all products throughout. However a couple of their products are not worth it IMO. But thinks like their lockers, snorkels, racks, bumpers, lights ect are all industry leaders and second to none. Also part of what you pay for is their outstanding customer support and service. ARB knows they can get what they are asking and so why lower your cost?

But I can complete agree with you on the wanting to support made in the USA and a local company at that.
I am super jelly of your color, its the color I wanted but couldn't find with the options I wanted. You are off to a good start with your list of upgrades. And I think you will find the GX to be a better all around vehicle than your previous vehicles. I used to work for BMW and I do like the X5, especially the diesel's, but the GX is far more end user friendly and much less needy. And I'm not even gonna touch on the Rovers cause I'm sure we all know about them. I'd suggest starting to learn what parts you can cross reference to the 4th gen 4runners with V8s (2003-09) and start ordering parts from Toyota for a 4runner if you need to replace things. Now things like interior or body parts you will be forced to go to Lexus, but all the mechanical items and most of the electronics you can get much cheaper from Toyota for the same part. Keep us posted I'm glad to have another PNW rig around!

You just missed my brother's GX for sale in Seattle. Good luck!

Our trucks are twins - nice choice! ;)

Your suspension setup is basically exactly what I'd like to do with mine, though I'm going to keep stock suspension for a bit and see how that goes.

@The Great Him - I understand what you are saying about paying a premium for a company with known quality and that if there is demand at the price they sell, then they should not cut prices. However, the USD has gained nearly 25% on the AUD in the past 2 years (a $600 AU item would have cost $545 US then but now it would cost $435 USD) - I would like to see some of that favorability works its way into the pricing - or maybe TJM should make a big push back into the US and drive prices lower through competition (although I have heard the quality standards weren't quite the same).

I haven't had to do much/replace anything on the truck yet (knock on wood) but I will have to read up on how best to cross reference parts.

At some point, I would love to meet up with the other PNW GX's for a coffee/pint so that I could put faces with names and see the other trucks in person. There are probably about 8 or 9 on here and then 1 other that I know of on NWOverland (Shaun Rasmussen).

@DanKunz - I KNOW and it was extremely well priced!! I missed it by 3 weeks, otherwise it would have been mine. I tried to convince a co-worker to buy it, but he has his mind set on a 100-series.

I am in Portland and would willing to meet up on a Saturday for a run. Shock the natives with an all GX run

@wingysataday - thanks for the offer. I have only driven through Boise but never spent any time there exploring. I might have to take you up on the offer in Spring/Summer as I will be taking some time off to go explore more of the west. Timing and route are still way up in the air, but I am expecting to get some good use out of my build in 2016.

@WhiteH2O and @mjrsfj40 - I think there are 8-9 GX's (but I can't account for the overlap of the forums). There are at least 5 on MUD, 1-2 on toyota120, and 1 on NWOverland. If we opened up a run to include LX's I think we could easily get 6-7 Lexi on the trail. I am due for install in mid-late Jan (in Newberg), so I would be game some time after that.

For reference should anyone else be searching for this info - adding photos of what the gray weathertech looks like with a grey Lexus interior. I think black would have been the better choice.

GX_WT1.jpg
GX_WT2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom