Another guy asking about reverse light switch...sorry😬 how does the switch get power? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I’ve searched for couple hours ....I haven’t found a straight answer ....ok two wires come from the switch....this is where I get conflicting stories....I’m told that one of the two wires will be hot the other becomes hot when switch is in reverse .the only thing that makes sense to me is that one wire goes to acc and the other goes to the light that has its own ground....true or false ? I was told there should be a third wire lol

Depending on the year of your truck:

Early trucks: B+ Power for the reverse light comes from the key switched fuse in the fuse block and is on one of the two Red/Blue wires coming out of the rear chassis harness near the reverse light switch. The other wire goes back to the single reverse light. The reverse light housing is grounded completing the electrical path. Polarity does not matter so just connect the reverse light switch to the two Red/Blue wires.

Later Trucks: B+ Power for the reverse light comes from a key switched fuse in the fuse block and is on the Blue/Red wire coming out of the rear chassis harness near the reverse light switch. There is also a Red/Blue wire coming out of the rear chassis harness near the reverse light switch that goes back to the reverse lights. The light housings are grounded completing the electrical path. Polarity does not matter so just connect the reverse light switch to the two wires.

Depending on the year of your truck:

Early trucks: B+ Power for the reverse light comes from the key switched fuse in the fuse block and is on one of the two Red/Blue wires coming out of the rear chassis harness near the reverse light switch. The other wire goes back to the single reverse light. The reverse light housing is grounded completing the electrical path. Polarity does not matter so just connect the reverse light switch to the two Red/Blue wires.

Later Trucks: B+ Power for the reverse light comes from a key switched fuse in the fuse block and is on the Blue/Red wire coming out of the rear chassis harness near the reverse light switch. There is also a Red/Blue wire coming out of the rear chassis harness near the reverse light switch that goes back to the reverse lights. The light housings are grounded completing the electrical path. Polarity does not matter so just connect the reverse light switch to the two wires.
Nice I wasn’t sure didn’t want to fry my switch,to many other people trying to convince me that both switch wires travel back to the lights.....the guy I bought the switch from was dead sure the switch got power from the transmission.....like a cigarette lighter, maybe these day but back in the seventies on a forty

Thanks guys and everyone else here that’s helping me step by step to revive this beautiful old beast .......i really appreciate the wisdom and can’t wait to share with others my knowledge....I would be broke by now if it wasn’t for ih8mud

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom