1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another FZJ80 on LSD

Discussion in 'IL- Windy City Land Cruisers' started by SUMOTOY, Jul 14, 2005.

1. SUMOTOY

SUMOTOY

Ok Kenton:
    Another RN61 owner gone bigger... I figure I best stop my lurking and post up. I too have picked up a FZJ80 (94 with 88k mi) to replace my 6 year '87 4Runner mistress. I run a Audi Performance and tuning shop in Chicago near McCormick Place, and live on the far north side of chicago proper. Used to hang out with Kenton and the boys at Prairie State offroad, but my monthy runs to shaumburg to drink beers got tough to do quickly. I'd love to join up with something closer to downtown.

After working on a couple 'second car' 80's, I decided to acquire one myself. Not quite the offroad toy the RN61 was, but it sure hauls the car trailer much better. Haven't had much time to do much to it other than drive the daylights out of it (10k in 9 weeks), and hauling engines in the back and race cars cross country couldn't be in a better ride. Quite a footprint for offroading though.

Since I got it: installed TJM, rear bags, front bags tomorrow, rear badge (gold) delete, CDL, 7pin mod, momo wheel (personal pan pizza delete?). It sports all options available except lockers. Looking forward to ARB's, Rally 2000 and MTR before year end.

Glad to have found these forums early on.

Scott Justusson
    QSHIPQ Performance Tuning
    Chicago IL
    '94 FZJ80
    '87 RN61 (SR5 turbo auto, 3in turbo back, mucho skid armored, euros, rally 2000, greddy profec B, MTR, 2in suspension lift)

2. alia176

alia176

Albums:
    Scott,

Be sure to keep us posted if you decide to go to the forced induction route for teh FZJ80!

Oh yeah, welcome!

Ali

3. kenton

kenton

Hi Scott,
    How's the family?
    Sorry not to respond sooner-- I don't read these forums as often as I'd like i guess. I take it you are using your 80 to haul race-cars around? Airbag suspension front and rear? I'd like to hear more, I had one bad experience with hauling my 4runner with my 80, so I'm a little gunshy and interested in hearing about success stories. I was gonna pick Woody's brain last month but forgot...
    Do you still have your 4runner/RN61?
    Like Ali said, it would be nice to see you get that 80 has smokin' fast as you got the '61...
    Kenton

4. SUMOTOY

SUMOTOY

Update: SC in Chicago

Only took me 7 months to find my bookmarks...

Regarding the airbags, they work really well. I used the stock Air Lift LC app for the rear, and had to fab the front using some ford van application. My shocks are original, but I found you don't even need them with the airbags.

Towing. You know well that I used to tow those race cars behind the 61. I'm sure that's what blew it's head gasket. I love towing with the 80, and have done so several times (without the SC). I have a tandem axle open trailer and don't even use the equalizers. I pump the air bags up, and run it. The braking is so much better than the 4R ever was.

Supercharger: As Ali knows, my buddy and I put a used one in about 3 weeks ago, got up the next day, then I ran it to Steamboat Ice Track, and brought it back. It's 450/470 fast right now (er, I tested it against some bummed 470 owner), and once I get the cooling system worked out, I'm going after more fuel and boost.

All is well otherwise, keeping busy with those air lockers in the audi quattros at the shop. My gals are coming up on 14/15 and my older one is bummed I sold the RN61. Me, I paid less for my 88k 80 than I sold the 180k 4R for, so I'm just tickled.

Kenton, let me know if you are coming into the big city...

Scott Justusson
    94 FZJ80 TRD SC