Another fuel smell - fuel overhaul questions (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey mud,

I’m working on planning my fuel system overhual on my early 71. The rig has an occasional fuel smell in the cab. Sometimes the gas cap will turn 90degrees, sometimes it will turn 270degrees. I’ve been researching and poking around the 40. So far, I have identified the following as potential smell sources (I expect to find more sources once I start cracking things open):
-cracked rubber on the fill neck,
-frayed tank lines,
-the cap that has a rubber gasket that is solid as a rock and has a questionable fit up
-there is no charcoal canister to be found

Couple question:
-Do I need the canister system? Passing emissions isn’t a concern, but will it help with fuel smell?

-Can I put a locking gas cap on for a replacement, such ask the cruiser corps below?

Hey mud,

I’m working on planning my fuel system overhual on my early 71. The rig has an occasional fuel smell in the cab. Sometimes the gas cap will turn 90degrees, sometimes it will turn 270degrees. I’ve been researching and poking around the 40. So far, I have identified the following as potential smell sources (I expect to find more sources once I start cracking things open):
-cracked rubber on the fill neck,
-frayed tank lines,
-the cap that has a rubber gasket that is solid as a rock and has a questionable fit up
-there is no charcoal canister to be found

Couple question:
-Do I need the canister system? Passing emissions isn’t a concern, but will it help with fuel smell?

-Can I put a locking gas cap on for a replacement, such ask the cruiser corps below?

- all your fuel smell / odor problems outlined above have 1 eazy peezy solution you your self have correctly diagnosed : SEE BELOW PLEASE

-
your solid as a rock hard rubber gasket is leaking vapors ......

- your only question above has one definitive correct answer .... NO ,

- sadly Toyota long since discontinued a early wide mouth locking oem gas cap

-

1662787724297.png

1662787736253.png

1662787760307.png

1662787776951.png

Couple question:
I am not an expert on the vapor recovery systems, but i have noticed that most GasSmell threads don't have one.
My '74 FJ55 is about as de-smogged as i can make it, but i kept the vapor recovery unit and charcoal canistor, though it just vents to atmosphere now. Never had a gas smell problem.
Did your '71 originally come with the old big boxy vapor recovery or did it have the smaller 3 chamber plastic unit?
I would recommend a vapor recovery of some kind.

@Pighead I believe it came with something like this. Not sure which style it is though.

View attachment 3111099
That looks to be an older style, there may be more of it elsewhere. Count and follow the hoses...
Here's a pic of mine in situ, this style was used for many years and perhaps could be mounted in yours.

20220910_120740.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom