Another front brake thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Time to replace them, getting a pulsating pedal and front pads are down to 1mm in thickness. My truck is mostly stock, just a larger set of 265-70-17 KO2's on the stock wheels. If I can dig up a used bumper locally I'll do it, but otherwise, no. I do tow with the truck, have a trailer brake controller and trailer brakes.

I was thinking about getting this Powerstop kit from Rock Auto. Any thoughts?

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=3803337&cc=1441481&jsn=360

I've had Powerstop front rotors and pads for 30,000 miles and I'm satisfied. I tow a 3500# camper and occasionally a heavier trailer with no issues. My wife is terrible on brakes, and pulsing has stayed away. Brake dust is minimal. I'm putting on E rated 265/70-17 KO2s from Michelins next week, so I'll have to report back if the heavier tires have an effect.

The only drawback I can think of is they are Chinese made.

I have had powerstop, EBC, OEM, and Terrain Tamer on mine over the last 120k miles. By far the best OEM size for the 470 was Terrain Tamer from Cruiser Brothers. They stop great, no fade on hills, wet, mud, etc. I was happy with Powerstop front, but the rear lacked. EBC pads were better than Powerstop. Terrain Tamer are better all around. Edit: I also used Akebono ceramic pads for a while and they were better than EBC pads for all round use. I was using EBC yellowstuff.

I have had powerstop, EBC, OEM, and Terrain Tamer on mine over the last 120k miles. By far the best OEM size for the 470 was Terrain Tamer from Cruiser Brothers. They stop great, no fade on hills, wet, mud, etc. I was happy with Powerstop front, but the rear lacked. EBC pads were better than Powerstop. Terrain Tamer are better all around. Edit: I also used Akebono ceramic pads for a while and they were better than EBC pads for all round use. I was using EBC yellowstuff.
Hey Dan, what rotors were you running with the Terrain Tamer pads? Also, they didn't have 120 specific pads, are you running the set for FJs?

EDIT: So your build list says Terrain Tamer heavy duty rotors and pads - and I think you mentioned going to a 460 setup in another thread. Still wondering which rotor/pad platform you went with for the 120/150 setup.

Last edited:
I have the 470 rotors and pads.

I have that PowerStop kit on the front of my '08. I installed them about 6 months ago and they work very well. I wish the pads were less dusty, like the Akebono pads, but they aren't horrible.

Thanks for the replies. I emailed the tech at Cruiser Brothers, Georg, but never heard back about parts specific to the GX470. Did some searching at Terrain Tamers website and found that there weren’t any pads or rotors offered specifically for the UZJ120 but definitely other 120 platform offerings (all shared the same relative PNs). Sounds like there was a group buy, maybe, but I’m kinda tired of trying to track down the right part numbers and where to buy them. Going to get the Akebono performance pads and slotted rotors (probably Stoptech, not PowerStop).

Unfortunately, not hearing back from GX vendors is very typical. I adjusted by contacting several. I go with who gets back to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom