Another float bowl level question - fluctuate at different RPMS? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My float bowl level is perfect (mid-point in the sight glass) when I hold the throttle at 1500 RPMs. If I let it idle (around 680) the level rises to the point where I can no longer see the line in the sight glass. If I throttle it to 1500 rpms the line appears and proceeds to settle right in the middle. I raise the RPMs further and it slowly drops just a tad. I didn't hold it above 2500 long enough to see if it dropped out of sight, but it seemed to hold, maybe 1/4 to 1/3 across the glass.

1. Should the level fluctuate like this at various RPMs?
    1. Or should it stay relatively the same height - in the middle - once the car settles at a given RPM?
  2. If it does fluctuate, should I adjust this a bit more so fuel sits in the center at 650rpms ... and expect that it would drop if I bring it up to 1500?

I rebuilt the carb over the weekend and fixed an issue I had with the accelerator cable. It's running better than ever. I have a few hills I could barely climb -- progressively getting slower -- just in my neighborhood that I can now accelerate up. More power an acceleration than I thought was possible (still not much so you get a sense where I started) ... so it seems to run great. But it's probably also running very rich.

1973 FJ40
F155 id F 430302
Aisan carb id 2 A 21 which I believe has it stamped January 21 1972

1681504058167.png

As always ... THANKS!!!!

I don’t think you should see the float level fluctuating. If the bowl is over filling, the float is out of adjustment or the float needle isn't fully seating because of a piece of crud in the float needle/seat area. The fuel level should remain steady in the center of the sight glass at all RPM's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom