Another FJ60 and BJ 60 swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So this has been a long process for me, but I'll post some pics and hopefully solicit some feedback in regards to some questions that I have.

Started with my blue 1984 FJ60 that I bought on a whim in college. Great car. Terrible purchase decision. It needed a few things, but the price was right for someone that wasn't broke in college, hence the terrible purchase decision. After driving it and then running into electrical problems and then having mechanical issues coupled with terrible fuel mileage, I thought about doing a SBC conversion. Until I ran into a 1983 BJ60. I found it on craigslist, but it turns out another mud member was selling and I also picked that up on a whim with money I didn't have.

Drove that rusty b**** home and then used it around the house to move trailers and fire wood etc until I could do the diesel swap. Having got a real job and never having the time to do it myself, I paid a good friend to do the swap for me. He quickly tore into both rigs and everything was looking good until he inspected the bearings on the bottom end. Long story short, rebuild.

I also bought a turbo kit from Diesel42 and more parts than you could shake a stick at from Beno.

Through several unfortunate events, before we even got the thing back together it went back to the machine shop for overhaul #2. This was pretty terrible for me. It through off my whole time line. It took weeks to get the parts and months to get the machine work done again. On top of that we lost the shop space we were working in and had to box everything (hopefully) up and move it all. Next my buddy's wife got pregnant unexpectedly, his mother in law moved in with him. and then he got a divorce and had to work ridiculous hours to take care of himself and his kids, making essentially no progress for the better part of a year.

I just realized this is a country song.

6 years after this whole process started (I count the purchase of the BJ60 as the start), the parts were packed up yet again and moved to my garage where I don't have the room, I have kids and a job of my own, and work for 15-30 minutes at a time trying to accurately piece this thing back together having not been the one that took it apart and boxes of parts etc.

So, who cares right? Where's the pictures?
IMG_0352.JPG
IMG_0353.JPG

So, I have asked questions in a couple of other threads, but this is supposed to be a little more comprehensive. I'm still going to ask for help, so here goes.

1) I'm trying to put the intake on and there is an electrical connection that spans three studs. Does anyone have accurate pictures of this assembly? Maybe with some description of the different stacks of parts on the three different studs? Also, any other pics or info as to what attaches to the three tapped bosses on the bottom of the intake would be helpful.
IMG_1406.JPG

2. I'm searching for the venturi assembly arm that the throttle cable attaches to. I was mocking mine up and dropped it, broke the top of the arm off. I really don't want to spend $200-$300 on an entire assembly. If anyone has one they are willing to depart with at a reasonable rate, please shoot me a PM. I don't have a picture on my phone, but I can get them if it helps.

Looking for help on fitment issue. After reviewing Jzilla's measurements on his FJ/BJ swap I think my front to back measurement is ok, but my side to side might be off, but I would rather ask for some help before I cut and start again. After dropping in the engine and transmission, all bolt holes and mounts line up just fine and there is no interference between the body and the engine/trans, but standing in front of the frame and looking at it, it looks a little crooked (too close to the driver side). Keep in mind that most of the mount holes are actually slots so there is some built in room for adjustment from the factory.

Can anyone tell me if the oil pan is supposed to be parallel to the frame rails? I'm almost an inch off front to back, but it looks like the frame flares out a little bit so it might be a trick on my eye. A measurement from the front of the pan edge to the frame rail would be helpful if anyone has it. Here's a photo as it sits in mock up. Any

Thanks in advance for any help.

IMG_3395.JPG

I had similar kinds of headaches when I dropped a 1HZ in a FJ73. I used those elongated holes(slots) to move it around enough to look right. As long as it has clearance in all the right places, its ok.

Well after reading that thread, I mean, that's exactly how mine sits. It blows my mind. Like I said everything from the transmission to the motor mounts sat down perfect on the mounts, but I can't say that I compared the BJ60 before or noticed it. I'll try to get it adjusted a little bit and maybe take some of the angle out, but if she fits I guess she fits.

I'll file this under "I'll be damned."

Thanks mud!

If you dont have driveline vibrations and nothing's rubbing, let her sit where she is.

Sorry I dont have a description of your glow assembly but it looks proper? I usually do a manual button for my glow system.

Those threads on the intake I've never seen used.

Where is your dip stick?

gerg-

Thanks for the info. I'm going to try and keep the original glow system as it was in good working order, but if not I'll be going to a push button.

Dipstick is on the bench. With the amount of on and off again as I try to piece this puzzle back together, I didn't want to damage it. But I haven't forgotten it. :)

Cool. I did a bj60 to fj62 swap a long time ago and it worked out well. The engine sits quite cockeyed. It's normal. What ever your normal is! I measured from the mounts for tranny and engine to holes in the frame that were common on both frames. That's how I got my mounts to line up. Worked out well. I was able to bolt in the engine tranny combo on the first go and only had to adjust one bolt hole on the tranny crossmember. By adjust I mean hog it out with a die grinder. I left the fj wiring harness intact and made a mini harness for the EDIC. I use the term harness loosely cus it's like 5 wires. I used the bj schematic to find where the EDIC wires connected to the ST contacts in the ignition and grafted them in. Figuring that out took a while cus I hate electrical stuff.
Cheers
Greg

Spending years on my cruiser, my wife called it my japanese mistress, and strained my marriage. So be careful... lol..

The FSM for the engine is an important manual. I would recommend trying to find a download of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom