Another FJ40 rear bumper thread. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Tigerstripe40

SILVER Star
Threads
So last week in Moab, I was trying an obstacle. Well the obstacle got the better of me and I had to take a strap. Wound up busting out a tail light and bending my rear cross member.

I've had some steel for a while, and decided to get around to building a rear bumper.

So far, its 2x4x3/16 bumper. I made cut outs for tail lights and for a receiver that will be used for recovery, and for a bike rack -no towing.

Plans are to build some side protection (kind of a moot point at this time, but the fabrication practice is whats important right?) and a tire carrier and cooler/can rack.

I'd like to make the carrier 'modular' so I can reconfigure it per my trips, however, that may be more effort than its worth.
munched.jpg
Bumper (Small).jpg
Bumper2 (Small).JPG

And a Moab teaser pic...
:D
SeldomSeenFlexing (Small).jpg

Love that Cruiser Outfitters sticker, be a shame to cover it up...maybe put an inspection window on it to showcase that... Good looking otherwise, will be following as I am looking to do this

Looking good! I'm definitely following this. I like how the rest of the rig is rough but your focusing on the practical stuff.

Wow, I still have about 25 of those old Cruiser Outfitters stickers somewhere. Holy s*** it has been a long time since Darryl was doing his thing.

I remember him giving me a handful when he was closing the original shop.

Bumper looks good.

Wow, I still have about 25 of those old Cruiser Outfitters stickers somewhere. Holy s*** it has been a long time since Darryl was doing his thing.

Bumper looks good.

If you've still got some of those, send some my way. I'd love to put another one on my FJ40.

If ya got 'em i'd love to have one too!!! I'll pay!!

Bumper looks good.

have not done much as a school project has taken priority.
This is how the bumper looks now. I am debating:
1. capping the ends off as it is and running with that.
2. welding a couple of pieces of 2x4 to the end.
3. cutting a few angles with the chop saw and wrapping it around the body.

I am leaning towards 2 as my chop saw doesn't have the capacity to cut the 2x4 at the angle I need (I have to start with a smaller blade cut as much as the smaller blade will cut, then swap in a larger blade).

I was originally going to build the tire carrier out of 2-1/4 x2-1/4 x 1/4 but thats going to be too large to fit. I will use the 2-1/4 x2-1/4 x 1/4 for the side the swing out catches on as well as to make a back up piece.

I am going to put the tire carrier in a double shear with 2 trailer spindles. I am planning on cuttung the body and rear wheel well so I can put a piece of 2.25x2.25 in and that will carry one of the spindles.
bumper2 (Small).jpg

nice job

I spent part of yesterday building the pieces that go from the bumper and extend forward under my fender flares.

I started by removing the fender flares and cutting the sheet metal level with the top of the bumper. Unfortunatly, BOTH sides are full of bondo. I was debating just ripping the bondo out or leaving it. I figure leave it and let it fall out.

With the side pieces I am building, I am getting alot of boogers. I watch the pudle and wait to move it forward (I move it side to side continually). So I attatched a few pics of the booger welds. Any clues to what I am doing wrong?

For a welder, I am running a MillerMatic 175 220v welder with Argon/CO2 gas mixture. I am running .030 wire.
Bondo.JPG
BoogerWeld1.JPG
boogerweld3.JPG

Try slowing the wire speed down or change the heat setting. Looks like you just have too much wire feeding in there and or not enough heat. If your a slow moving welder like me. Turn the wire speed down a little and it won't bunch up on ya like that.....or just move the gun faster. Nice bumper though....good luck.:grinpimp:

Did you grind the steel to bare metal where you are welding? Cleaning the steel to "new" metal makes alot better weld with alot less splattering. Use an angle grinder to clean the steel and check to make sure that you have a really good ground. This is the basics and if it doesn't work then follow the other posts.

so for the welds...from what you said you are moving side to side constantly...what you need to be doing is every time you move from one side to another skip ahead in a zig zag type pattern the amount you move ahead depends on puddle size ect so that part just takes practice. but its important that you keep moving along the length of your weld and at a consistant speed as well as just the side to side motion. hth

btw good looken bumper!

making sure your steel is free of grease, oil and rust is very important as well, the mill scale wont hurt anything, metal dosnt need to be shiny, just not all full of crap -iv been practicing pressure welds on pipe at school (2nd year/ "B" level welding) and after the piece is flame cut i just file in my land and leave the scale on the rest of my bevel...works just fine

Here is a pic of a more finished unit.
I did a BUNCH of grinding, even redid a few of the welds.
Wound up turning down the wire speed and that got me right in the right place for the welder. I Think I need to turn up my gas. I was running 15 and shoudl have been running 25-30. I Was also welding outside, but there was no breeze.
bumperFInished (Small).jpg

Nice work !

Great progress

Here it is painted and mounted up, with a few detail pics
fullBumper.JPG
cornerdetail.JPG
bumperSide.JPG

nice bumper, & btw I like your roll cage too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom